Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Archery Competition Taupo
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Massey Archer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:50 pm     Archery Competition Taupo Reply with quote

We from Massey Archery were really happy with how it all went and we shall return. The Archery side of things is clearly growing and I would venture to suggest that this hasn't really been prepared for. Several people have stepped up to ensure that it all pans out in an organized fashion for next year...great. We massey folk are into traditional shooting, although there are many of us who shoot modern precision instruments that are also refered to as bows. It was Keith and his Warbow crusade that initiated my interest. That along with an interest in History and practicle experimentation, not just nerdy theorising (which I do a lot of as well).

I wonder if a slightly more formal arrangment for the archery competition might be a good idea. If you want it to be a casual side-line to the main events then that may not be neessary. As it stands now it is possible for someone with a reflex-deflex, centre-shot, fibreglass flatbow to rock up to the mark and fling his/her plastic nocked woodgrain look-alike aluminum rods at the target and win (although that didn't happen). It is even possible for someone to miss the target with all his/her arrows and carry on as if they actually deserve to be standing with people who hit the thing. I didn't bother to mention anything at the time because these sorts are always found out in the end and they were. But that trophy was the best I have seen on the Archery circuit and more and more people may want to get it. That's fine, but some ground rules may need to be set for the future.

It is also possible that there is no concensus to change anything and an informal approach is what's wanted. I just want to say that I understand that it's not my call, but it would be a mistake!

If the organisers want to lay some rules then I would like to help them. A basic set of easy-to -follow regulations might reduce the chances of people using recurves with alumimium arrows. I know it complicates matters but perhaps a recurve/horsebow division and a longbow division could be the go. But that may create a monster due to the possibility that people like me may want Longbow to be divided between flatbow and English longbow.

I suppose that it is just meant to be fun but I want to generate disscussion about it. I also want to encourage more people to shoot a traditional bow and enjoy this aspect of our cultural heritage.
English Warbowman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:12 am      Reply with quote

Some good points raised there.Would it be possible that a representative from Massey Archery club could work alongside the event organizers to help with the setting up and the running of the target archery competition. I know that the Massey people have a wealth of experience in this area. Maybe the field shoot could also be resurrected as well.
I didn’t see the trophy. Does anyone have a photo of it that they could post.
Colin & Lynlee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:49 am     Taupo Archery Reply with quote

The current people who have put up their hands to run the archery competition have done very well. Offers to help have come from different people over the years and others have asked for a standard set of "rules" (for Taupo), I am now in a position to help, so offer my services to that end.
Colin & Lynlee
NZAAC

Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:51 am      Reply with quote

Hi,

I must confess to being a bit jaded on archery at the moment, but I'd like to make some observations...

Firstly, please accept my apologies for a glaring omission on the website. the combat regs got looked over by a number of people responsible for their management, and in that process, some stuff got lost. Target archery regs appear to have been the main casualty. Probably because Redbeard doesn't do email.

Not his fault - mine. I didn't have time to cross check the data as it was entered.

The following should have been in place regarding target archery:

Quote:
Bows:
A bow of any poundage may be used for Target archery.
Bows must be made of wood or laminate, and be of a single piece. No take-down, fibreglass, resin or other modern bows will be permitted. Likewise, no stabilisers or sighting equipment may be used in the competition.
Bows not meeting these specifications will not be allowed to compete.

Arrows:
Arrows should be made of wood, with feather fletching.
No arrow made of tubular aluminum or steel may be used. Likewise, no arrow should be fletched in plastic or other modern compound.

And that's where it goes dry, because Dave has never given me a clear idea of what it is he does in the tournaments! At least in writing... That's why the tournament info is both erroneous and has stayed much the same for the last three years.

The essence of the concept, however, is to ensure a level playing field, so that the competition comes down to skill, not equipment. This is the same philosophy I employ in all tournaments, and I'm quite keen on consistency.

Yes, I'd be very keen on submissions, if there is to be another Taupo. Or indeed for any similar event. Later in the year, once I know the state of play regarding the event, I'll open the submission forum here on GD and will look forward to working out a good plan to go forward with.

Until then, feel free to boot ideas about, and if at all possible, test them.

Nic
King of Swords
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:52 am     trophy Reply with quote

heres a photo ...but it stands on a larger block of wood
The sculpture is cast in pewter and are 4”+ in size. Each sculpture has a pewter or stone base but rests upon a wooden platform. The wood platforms are generally 2” square & ½” tall with the winners name and year won on the larger platform.( not pictured )
Generally, each sculpture weighs roughly around 1.2lbs

I think you will be fighting for this trophy every year but you are best to ask Nic about that

archer2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.2 KB
 Viewed:  26843 Time(s)

archer2.jpg

Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:03 am     Re: trophy Reply with quote

King of Swords wrote:
I think you will be fighting for this trophy every year but you are best to ask Nic about that

correct.

I've got a bit of work to have done on them yet though, as they were not finished by the time we needed them.

The trophies are annual, and will be awarded each year as part of the tournament.

Nic
Massey Archer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:35 pm      Reply with quote

Once again, thanks King of Swords for such a great trophy. Trully fantastic. Thanks Nic for your information and of course for all the great work that you do. I am quite satisfied with things as they stand now. Surely there will be another Taupo. May I ask how financially successful it was, as a major loss would more or less guarantee it never happens again?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:47 pm      Reply with quote

Our break even point on the event is roughly 3000 people through the door.

We had slightly less than that over the two days.

So it's touch and go as to whether or not we pay for it all, or if I have to tap my savings again to cover the rest.

This guarantees, of course, that despite the joy of running a great event; I receive nothing for eight months of hard work.

Which means I have to ask myself if I really want to go through all that again. To be honest I'm getting pretty sick of carrying the shortfall on this event.

N
Massey Archer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:02 pm      Reply with quote

Nic, your rapid response has been received, thanks. Hmm, you deserve a considerably better result than that! Really hate the idea of you or anyone having to shell out from personal savings. So many of us loved it so much, but realise you don't survive on compliments. This is a worry. There may be a solution but it may not be popular. But not having another Taupo would prove far less popular. I suggested during the event that us in Plasticland should have to pay something and I still feel this way. It is easily the best weekend one can expect to have for basically just food and fuel. I for one would be fine with paying a little for the experience especially since I am not a reinactor, only a person interested in History and having an eccentric good time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:24 pm      Reply with quote

I agree, this was my 2nd time participating in the Taupo event and I realise that we are the entertainment but you couldn't go anywhere else and do this sort of thing for essentually nothing.
I would be more than happy to pay a camping fee and I'm sure others wouldn't mind either.
King of Swords
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:26 pm     lol Reply with quote

.......savings ...... is this a Tui ad ...yeah right ....we both know you will be working as a labourer to pay for this ...like last year ...and the year before ....one good thing thats come out of all this is your shoveling skills have improved no end ......

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:38 pm      Reply with quote

This was my first Taupo and I really enjoyed it. I would be prepared to pony up a bit of cash now to make sure it happens again.

Perhaps if you were to publish how much short you were of break even and asked for help you might be able to make it up. I bet I'm not alone in wanting there to be another Taupo.
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:50 pm      Reply with quote

Well, you did ask!

Don't sweat it guys. When I started this I made myeslf a couple of priomises.

I just broke one of them, but have no intention of blowing the other two. Smile

I won't take money from re-enactors for events. I consider this unethical with a paying public. Keep your money, it's no good to me.

At the end of the day we are still lurching forward. I'd rather be taking a sailing holiday in Russell next week, but shit happens. Come this time next year, I'm sure things will be different.
Smile

Dave,
No really. They just don't live in NZ, and the exchange rate sucks right now.

I consider Taupo an investment on many levels, both for the NZ historical community, and for myself and my family. This year, before the rain struck, was shaping up to be a blockbuster. Given the excellent post event publicity we've had, I'm sure the next one will be.

But right now I really don't want to think about it.

Nic
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:28 pm     Archery Competition Taupo Reply with quote

You'll have to be careful about charging fees for camping at events, I know for a fact that many of us struggle to save enough to come to Taupo as it is.

Charge too much and quite a few people just won't come. As it is, my own costs for coming to this event are around $600 - $700 as it is - 2 1/2 days off work, fuel, RUC's, wear & tear on vehicles & equipment, etc.

As for numbers through the gate, I can't suggest much apart from trying to attract more art/craft type stalls which appeal to a lot of people.

However, it was a great event after the weather improved.

I look forward to next year's event.
Massey Archer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:56 pm      Reply with quote

Fair enough. At least we have had a chance to discuss this and I am glad that we have.
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: