Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
WMA is not trying to change re-enactment combat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Colin

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:43 pm     Re: WMA is not trying to change re-enactment combat Reply with quote

Carl wrote:
Colin wrote:

No, however if you made false claims like WMA "tearing up NAAMA" expect it to be met with hostility (at least from me).

Did I make this claim? I dont remember making this claim, i dont remember making any claim other than we argue a lot.

Is that a false claim?

Claim by one Carl

"this is one of the reasons NAAMA is tearing itself apart at present"

Claims on the causes of above listed by one Carl

"on one side you have the Living History, and WMA, crowd shouting "Our Way, Our Way", and on the other you have the T.O.D crowd shouting "Our Way Our Way"

Solution listed by one Carl

"no one is saying "hey why cant we share the sand pit""

Did this Carl make a false claim? As far as WMA goes (I won't speak for the other crowds), yes.

Colin wrote:
Ok you win (places hand on heart) I will from this day forward Never again assume that WMA has anything to do with any form, mutation, or interpretation of re-enactment or sword fighting or medieval european combat what so ever, So help me God.

Well, your wit is halfway there.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Vorschlag

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:46 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
Medieval European Combat

Amusing concept its a shame there isn't a local school or group that actually teaches these kind of systems and bases its interpretations on historical documentation without compromising the functionality or historical accuracy of said systems.

Oh wait there is, [GASP] ....... A.S.E.M.A www.swordsmanship.co.nz

Nothing like confrontation for a spot of advertising

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:54 am     Re: WMA is not trying to change re-enactment combat Reply with quote

Carl wrote:
you have made it so Abundantly clear that WMA is not part of NAAMA or Re-Enactment that I am at a loss to see why you must keep repeating it, As for me I dont give big rats ass what you do as long as you dont tell me what i am doing is, wrong, poorly researched, historically inaccurate, badly taught, or childish.

(Carl replying to Colin)

I teach WMA specifically as well and regard myself as a WMA instructor although the range of material I teach is quite limited (intentionally so) compared to what Colin covers.

I regard WMA as part of wider re-enactment. I think I have said this on another discussion area as well.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Colin

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:10 pm     Re: WMA is not trying to change re-enactment combat Reply with quote

Callum wrote:
I regard WMA as part of wider re-enactment.

I don't Wink

That's not to imply in the slightest that the wider re-enactment movement cannot do WMA within their organisations, but I don't see them as one and the same. People can do WMA without the slightest regard to any re-enactment and vice versa. They can be quite mutually exclusive. SCA got going long before people had heard of WMA for example.

I'd also imagine that there would be fierce resistance to anyone trying to change any of the re-enactment combat systems to a more authentic fighting style. If re-enactment people want to fight WMA, they're going to have find something outside the current paradigms for a fighting rule system. They would also need to be willing to compromise looks for safety like you did recently.

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:17 pm      Reply with quote

I do so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree Very Happy

Maybe if you disregard the historical context in which the original techniques were practised, e.g. omitting entirely for example the influence of clothing, including foot wear, played in the development of fighting techniques then I would probably agree that WMA and re-enactment are mutually exclusive. But if you pay attention to these factors then they are not mutually exclusive. But if you do WMA without giving consideration to the historical context then it's just a parody, in my opinion...

Colin

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:48 pm      Reply with quote

Callum wrote:

Maybe if you disregard the historical context in which the original techniques were practised, e.g. omitting entirely for example the influence of clothing, including foot wear, played in the development of fighting techniques then I would probably agree that WMA and re-enactment are mutually exclusive. But if you pay attention to these factors then they are not mutually exclusive. But if you do WMA without giving consideration to the historical context then it's just a parody, in my opinion...

It is quite possible to learn historical context from learning history without recourse to re-enactment. The subject matter of history does not require re-enactment (though admittedly there have been things that some historians have learned off re-enactors.) In fact I wish many re-enactors would take a few courses in history before doing displays so they don't repeat various urban legends (or worse) and that they learn the historical context themselves.

Similarly the lessons learned from wearing period footwear (and clothing) do not need persistence. I have already learnt lessons on the wearing of turnshoes and historical underclothes when it comes to medieval HEMA. I don't believe I need to keep wearing such to know what impact they play. I also don't believe it is necessary for my students to wear such (though I do advocate it's a good idea) so long as I impart the advantages and disadvantages. Besides which most of my current students are not interested in wearing historical garments Laughing

Carl

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:58 pm     Re: WMA is not trying to change re-enactment combat Reply with quote

Callum wrote:

I regard WMA as part of wider re-enactment. I think I have said this on another discussion area as well.

Saints be Praised, a Rose amongst Thorns Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:58 am     Re: WMA is not trying to change re-enactment combat Reply with quote

Carl wrote:
Saints be Praised, a Rose amongst Thorns Very Happy

A lot of people think I'm a bit of a prick actually Very Happy

Colin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:39 pm      Reply with quote

BTW Carl, this thread was not designed as a personal attack on you. What you said seemed to have been a fairly common perception, and it was that I attempted to clear up.

I disagree with Callum over WMA belonging to the wider re-enactment movement. While certain groups, like the Order of the Boar, may try to blur those boundaries by trying to do both they can quite happily be mutually exclusive (no cross over). This is certainly true for Living Traditions (WMA that never died out and are still going). While aspects of HEMA reconstruction might benefit from historical garments (notably footwear) it is not quintessential IMO that every practitioner acquire such. The historical context can be learned not from experiencing the past, but by research. Thus it can bypass re-enactment altogether.

I do not in anyway try to inhibit ASEMA students from experiencing the wider re-enactment movement. In many respects I try to encourage it (though I definitely don't try to force it.) At some stage I anticipate encouraging the various re-enactment groups to advertise themselves around WMA training. I'm also not going to force that either.

On the other side of the fence, unless re-enactors are willing to compromise looks for safety there is little point IMO to try and integrate HEMA into (re-enactment) combat. I have already outlined some techniques that cannot be performed due to the targeting restrictions, which therefore compromises the art completely. A bastardised version of the art will not produce anything worthwhile IMO. I was impressed that Callum was prepared to compromise looks for doing an I.33 public demonstration. This from a group that otherwise tries to maintain high historical standards in New Zealand. Unless other groups are a.) willing to do likewise, and b.) take an interest in WMA a crossover from NAAMA to performing a more authentic fighting style isn't going to happen.

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:38 pm      Reply with quote

Some compromises in historical accuracy are necessary, either to control expenses (like in the joust buying period horse tack is prohabatively expensive and unless made by a real professional can create horse safety and welfare issues) or for safety.

In a system like 1.33 where attacks to the head and face are encouraged, there is no period solution that allows us to do this safely, given that sword and buckler was used primarily by civilians and light infantry and not by fully armed men-at-arms.

So you have to compromise and use a modern solution. In this case we use fencing masks worn in conjunction with authentic period clothing including footwear. If you explain to people why you are doing this you will find that they are prepared to accept this safety concession.

Carl

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:31 pm      Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
BTW Carl, this thread was not designed as a personal attack on you. What you said seemed to have been a fairly common perception, and it was that I attempted to clear up.

I am not taking it as a personal attack, I was a little offended that something I said on a unrelated forum, about an unreleated subject, in an attempt to make a unrelated point ended up here.

I have enough work trying to keep my nose out of trouble when I voice my opinions without others dropping me in it for me.

Thats all

I dont like getting blind-sided, it irks me, it is irksome

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:33 pm      Reply with quote

Carl wrote:
I dont like getting blind-sided, it irks me, it is irksome

Personally I think you're setting yourself to be irked then. Being cited is standard practice. Context was provided by referring to the entire thread and only quoting part of it (much like citing a book) is again standard practice.

To be honest I had no idea you weren't a member here from yonks ago. I'm certainly not going to apologise for something that is standard practice. Imagine every author having to be notified before their book(s) can be referenced.

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: