Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
WMA is not trying to change re-enactment combat
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Colin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:13 pm     WMA is not trying to change re-enactment combat Reply with quote

This claim was brought to my attention:

"this is one of the reasons NAAMA is tearing itself apart at present, on one side you have the Living History, and WMA, crowd shouting "Our Way, Our Way", and on the other you have the T.O.D crowd shouting "Our Way Our Way" and no one is saying "hey why cant we share the sand pit".""

T.O.D. I believe stands for "Touch of Death", but I could be wrong.

The claim was made on a LARP site on the subject of combat. Why WMA got dragged into it is anybody's guess. The full thread can be viewed here http://diatribe.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=942

WMA is about the reconstruction of dead European Martial Arts or keeping existing ones (like Defense dans la rue or jogo do pau) alive. It isn't trying to change the chess, re-enactment or karate techniques.

This claim over NAAMA is quite silly. WMA "crowds" threaten NAAMA as much as the existence of karate or judo "crowds". If "NAAMA is tearing itself apart at present" then it's for quite different reasons. Find another scapegoat.
White Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:59 pm     Reenactment Combat Reply with quote

Colin I agree.
People can choose whatever style of combat they want to do.
I prefer WMA but sometimes I will choose to do head blow.
T.O.D has lost it's appeal to me and I am wanting to participate in WMA combat.

Some people want to do fantasy and others want to do living history.

I see a division occurring within the re-enactment movement and it is because re-enactment is changing. The hobby is maturing. This will ultimately lead to change and division but it is not WMA's fault. People are branching out and have decided to do their own thing.

My opinion is that Living History is the way of the future.
Living History is more than just swinging a sword. It involves spending the time and money, doing the research to get things historically accurate as possible for the clothing and armour that you wear, the weapons that you use and the other gear such as camp site equipment.

Different sponsors are putting in tens of thousands of dollars and they want a high standard of authentic costume and gear, etc in return. For example the Viking display at the Auckland Museum and the jousting events that are being held at Taupo which is being part funded by the Taupo City Council.
If we raise our standards of authentic clothing, gear, etc and behave well they will accept us and invite us back again the next time they have an event.

Living History. Choose to be part of it.

Brent
Colin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:50 pm     WMA Combat Reply with quote

White Knight wrote:
...I am wanting to participate in WMA combat.

There will be much more focus in getting the assault going on a regular basis this year. Hopefully from April onwards it will be a common feature for those well versed in a given style.

While I still don't believe it's a good idea to get people assaulting as soon as possible, I think there's enough people now who are knowledgeable and drilled in their given area to start doing it.

Hopefully it won't be too difficult to get steel going either...not for the faint hearted Twisted Evil
fuzzy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:00 pm     stephan only rant about this topic Reply with quote

It's a hobby for some, a lifestyle for others. This should not create tension between people, as we should remember we do it for fun. Those who cannot possibly fathom this have more problems than historical accuracy and whether or not they should talk to people.

Living history is the future of reenactment in New Zealand, as interest in medieval times is what draws us into the scene in the first place, but this devloment should not create hostile divides within a community but diversity.

People like myself who have been doing reenactment for 6 years and have realised 2 years ago that living history is the best route sometimes forget that for beginners who have no experience yet ,it is still new and do not have the basis yet to witch thay can apply the base concepts of living history like reaseach and time consuming fiddly hand sewing {though i love it} givin time people come to a natural love 9of living history or not

living history in my opion is not about combat it is about garb, knowedge of historical events and attudies and devtion if all you are complaing about is combat differences ...... well what can i say

this may sound corny but i count all reenactment personaalitys a freinds and judge no one spite their differences as they also feel the in some way the same enjoyment i do
Colin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:54 pm      Reply with quote

Not that I particularly care anymore but the whole argument over giving beginners time falls flat when examined from an overseas perspective.

While getting an extensive body of historical kit takes time, a basic kit is quite trivial to put together. All it takes are the leaders of whatever organisation to take the lead in putting together kit. Do the research for the time period that they're trying to promote, and decide on a minimum standard for their organisation.

What creates tension are all the petty lies and politics. People claiming, for example, that WMA is trying to change NAAMA. People from all over the world are doing WMA. The overwhelming majority have never even heard of NAAMA. There are people in this country who do WMA and who haven't heard of NAAMA. WMA organisations around the world are not trying to change re-enactment combat in their respective countries. Sure there are re-enactment clubs trying to do WMA combat, but that is on their own volition. No WMA organisation demands that re-enactors adopt WMA.

It is these types of lies and politics that caused my lack of interest in re-enactment in Auckland. I also know I'm not unique. I've got quite a long list of the lies about me from the re-enactment community in this country. Some are benign, like I teach "katana", but others are outright malicious, for example, I apparently refuse to teach women (too bad I have women as students already, but that doesn't stop the lies.) And people wonder why I have a lack of interest in the re-enactment community these days Rolling Eyes
knight of magdalene
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:25 pm      Reply with quote

H dont realy want to wade into this discussdion but isnt wma reenactment? And isnt Naama reenactment also? Wasnt the Naama rules put togeather to do reenactment in a safe way, as wer wma? Since the internet we have a lot more facts at our fingertips with historical treatise etc. thus I know the Naama rules for example have changed over time to reflect this new knowlege. Wma also.

New participants are essential for the growth of the sport, activity, scientific studies ( wma or naama. )

As in days of old some people were peasants, they wore rags. many gained their fortunes and purchased or made harness and became knights. A new member would simply be required to dress in handsewn hessan bag or other rough cloth, clothing with a woolen blanket for a cloak, feet or feet wrapped in rags for period and carry a garden tool.

Swords were rare, metal was scarse, money was non existant for many.
Colin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:15 pm      Reply with quote

knight of magdelene wrote:
H dont realy want to wade into this discussdion but isnt wma reenactment?

No. WMA is an acronym for Western Martial Arts. It is about the Martial Arts from Western Europe, and martial arts derived from Western European systems, for example, catch as catch can wrestling. A number of people confuse historical European Martial Arts (HEMA) with Western Martial Arts, whereas HEMA is a subset of WMA. WMA covers both historical and living traditions.

If you consider WMA re-enactment then so are karate, judo, kung fu or tae kwon do.

Quote:
... safe way, as wer wma?

Most forms of WMA are lethal. Sure some forms are more sportive like bare knuckle boxing, but the vast majority are not 'safe'. Part of the hold up with growing WMA, particularly in this country, has been the lack of safety equipment that still allows for realistic assault. I'm not interested in limiting targets, or limiting power for example. I find doing either severely compromises the original technique.

This year I'm planning on spending more effort on getting suitable safety equipment made.

Quote:
...the Naama rules for example have changed over time to reflect this new knowlege.

I've obviously been out of the circle too long. What changes have been made to the NAAMA rules that allow for the new knowledge? Are horizontal head strikes now legal? Howabout thrusts to the face or throat?

Quote:
As in days of old some people were peasants, they wore rags. many gained their fortunes and purchased or made harness and became knights. A new member would simply be required to dress in handsewn hessan bag or other rough cloth, clothing with a woolen blanket for a cloak, feet or feet wrapped in rags for period and carry a garden tool.

It is sad that re-enactors still ascribe to this myth. Peasants were a social class. It did not reflect financial reality. Some peasants were filthy rich. It was one of the reasons that caused the King of Denmark to attack Gotland for example (the rumour was the Gotlanders were so rich they feed their pigs from troughs of silver).

Some nobles were poor. Numerous nobles married into rich peasant families as a way of improving their financial situation. This was a two way street. The offspring of such unions had the status and the wealth.

That is not to say peasants couldn't be poor. A few weeks ago TV1 put on a series Medieval Lives by Terry Jones. The first episode was on peasants. It dispelled a number of myths.

Quote:
Swords were rare, metal was scarse, money was non existant for many.

That depends on period. As time marches on that reality drastically changes.
knight of magdalene
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:22 pm      Reply with quote

Oh I see,... sombody who is poor can always have poverty...so problem solved. People can wear irrespective of finances... rags.
Colin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:06 pm      Reply with quote

This thread is derailing, but to try and nip something in the bud before it becomes "historical fact" a noble had certain obligations.

A noble had to keep a certain living standard. Such a standard could bankrupt him. In fact it is the primary reason for the large decline in knight numbers in England during the 13th century. Lots of nobles could not afford the added expense of becoming knights, and so remained squires instead. Numerous laws were issued to try and reverse this trend (the name escapes me at present), but the cold hard reality was many nobles simply couldn't afford it.

What a lot of squires would attempt to do instead was join in on mass knighting ceremonies held at royal events. Thus escaping one of the most burdensome expenses: paying for a knighting ceremony. In time this would become the standard of how one became a knight in England (by royal event). A standard remaining until the present day in fact.

It was the expense of being a noble that would eventually destroy the independence of the nobility in Western Europe. Attending court was prohibitively expensive, and aristocrats would need royal jobs just to maintain their wealth. The wealth produced from their own districts were simply insufficient to meet requirements of being noble. Thus they became dependent of the prince's whims. Of course I'm referring to the Renaissance, and not the Middle Ages, but the beginnings of this dependence started in the Middle Ages.

In the Middle Ages the nobility tried to assauge poverty by marrying wealthy people. If they couldn't find wealthy nobles, they turned to wealthy peasants. Unfortunately the latter practise would get frowned upon, particularly on the continent. Eventually to be noble one had to noble on both sides of the family for so many generations. Thus paving the way to dependence on the prince for income in the Renaissance.

IOW nobles did not wear rags (unless they were trying to make a statement.)
fuzzy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:42 am      Reply with quote

Swordsmanship wrote:
Not that I particularly care anymore but the whole argument over giving beginners time falls flat when examined from an overseas perspective. While getting an extensive body of historical kit takes time, a basic kit is quite trivial to put together.

I agree with you. Overseas historical accuracy is the only option and basic kit is just as hard to amass as a pseudo medieval kit, and I can't understand why people choose the latter, but they do, and I wont go out of my way to stop them, but within myself I have learnt historical accuracy is the best way.

Quote:
All it takes are the leaders of whatever organisation to take the lead in putting together kit. Do the research for the time period that they're trying to promote, and decide on a minimum standard for their organisation.

Whatever your interests are in the medieval scope, there is a period way of doing things that is no harder than any other way, though you are right to say that leading by example is a good way to influence others indirectly. As for combat, hitting the enemy first is the only way to recreate combat and prove skill. We have all seen those cheesy eastern martial arts movies where crane style and crouching tiger are best, but if you follow the UFC circuit (especially the beginners) we learn that these styles get wasted by the "hit them first and don't stop" style. I am sure that this can be applied to swords - after all, in the finals of UFC there is no tiger style and the styles they do use (muay thai; brazilian ju jitsu) are real scrappy because real combat can't be read from a book, though points and starter can. After all, you don't give Possum Bourne the road code as it is just basics though fantastic insights can be learned.

-Stephan
Colin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:34 pm      Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
As for combat, hitting the enemy first is the only way to recreate combat and prove skill.

Sorry to burst your bubble but this is utter nonsense. Hitting first while having someone run his sword through your heart doesn't prove skill in the slightest. All it proves is two people got hit, and one definitely mortally.

As George Silver stated in the old proverb "It is good sleeping in a whole skin". The maxim of historical (and classical) fencing has always been "Hit without being hit."

There is a phenomenally good article in Spada II about the medical realities of wounds. It's quite surprising what people can live from, and even if mortally wounded, how long than can keep going before expiring. This includes puncturing lungs and heart.

One of the focuses in my own training is how to strike, and how to exit. This includes fighting systems where getting punched is unlikely to be fatal like bare knuckle boxing. I also, labouriously, detail how to strike someone and remain covered at the same time (at least for one tempo).

I personally despise "first hit" rules. All they encourage is speed and no skill. It's fine to strike someone first since a halt is called so the latter strike is some how nullified. Similar stupidity exists in point scoring systems where people still go as fast as they can possibly go trying to reach "10 hits" or whatever before their opponent. Again, no skill required.

Even training for such systems is hazardous. Out on the street no one is going to reset after you "hit him first" or give a dingo's kidney about how much you believe you can hit him while he shoves a knife into your lungs.

But again, if re-enactors want to fight by such rules then that is up to them. I'm not going to try and dictate how sport fighting should conduct themselves.

Quote:
...but if you follow the UFC circuit (especially the beginners) we learn that these styles get wasted by the "hit them first and don't stop" style.

Last time I checked it was the wrestling styles that were thrashing everybody else. I was interested in the time when they allowed catch wrestlers in with all their techniques at their disposal. Unfortunately it proved bad for business having the opposition tap out so quickly. This included the BJJ guys. They banned all the nasty moves the catch wrestlers know (small digit manipulation and so forth).

I believe it is still so, but I haven't followed it for a few years now.

Quote:
I am sure that this can be applied to swords - after all, in the finals of UFC there is no tiger style and the styles they do use (muay thai; brazilian ju jitsu) are real scrappy because real combat can't be read from a book, though points and starter can. After all, you don't give Possum Bourne the road code as it is just basics though fantastic insights can be learned.

-Stephan

You might be brave with blunts, but how's your confidence with sharps?

As for learning from books, when it comes to historical European martial arts, that's what we have to go on. Fortunately numerous authors were rather telling how to do things, and for some traditions numerous books were written. Fortunately not lot like the road code at all.

One of my original problems when trying to decipher these techniques was a lack of understanding of principles. It's why I've spent so much effort since 2001 in trying to understand bio and body mechanics. Before then my interpretations were all over the place. Now I'm a lot happier when trying to solve written techniques.

I'm going to be presenting two such principles at the University of Auckland next month. Essentially how to "hit without being hit". It will only be a brief window into the past, and as I said only on two principles on how to "hit without being hit".
fuzzy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:19 pm      Reply with quote

I was agreeing with you. If someone has run a sword through your gut then clearly you have not hit first. If you did then they would be dead or maimed and unable to continue fighting. If you think in real terms then obviously the person to land the first good wounding or killing blow wins. Any fighter wants to hit the oppoent first and wound or kill them with it. How can a fighter win a fight without hitting an opponent first? Obviously blocks and wards and other combat techniques are applied to land a killing blow, which should be, by definition, the first one landed, as the fight will continue until someone hits the other. This hit is called the "first hit". If you have a combat with more than one hit, you are playing dungeons and dragons.

I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU, but as you seem so set on trying to disagree with me and insult me, I will no longer continue this conversation. Please next time use your head and sense while reading things I have written, not your testicles, as clearly you are learned at what you speak about and have valuable insights into medieval combat.

With respect,
Stephan
Colin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:54 pm      Reply with quote

No, you still don't get it. Hitting first is not the aim of fencing. It's hitting him without being hit in return at all.

Redefining what you mean by "first hit" is still incorrect. There are few "instant" kills. Even puncturing the heart is not an "instant" kill. The only "instant" kills are those that remove the motor areas of the brain (for example decapitation).

A first hit does not guarantee you living afterwards. Not even if the hit was mortal. If you puncture his lungs, he can still attempt to strike at you. Even minor wounds can spell a slow agonising death (over several weeks). You strike while making a suitable cover (often by holding your hand in opposition), and also make sure that your exit is such that he cannot strike you with even an accidental strike. Thus leaving him with no possibility of taking you with him to the great beyond (or being wounded).

(By exit I don't necessarily mean removing yourself from close distance, but that is certainly an option)

Spada II goes through numerous examples of real medical cases involving wounds. The main aim of the article is to discredit the notion of "a thrust of two inches is always fatal" (Flavius Vegetius), but it is a fantastic insight into deadly wounds.

Actual combat to the death might take numerous strikes (if you want them to expire before your own eyes). There's a classic sequence in the 1467 manuscript of Talhoffer in the messer section in which the first plate in the sequence removes the hand, and the second plate with the messer plunging into the head.

And as far as hitting altogether, I could grab the quote from George Silver and post it (but I'm feeling lazy), but as far as George Silver was concerned both going away uninjured (no hits whatsoever) was a good thing. IOW a "first hit" was irrelevant.
knight of magdalene
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:33 pm      Reply with quote

Dont want to wade in and sound like a smarty but. Knowlege I have gained from training combat with the military cheif master instructor...Reality is that exploiting vunerability is what decides life and death, he that succeeds in this first wins. He that engages off the line and exposes wins. Simple. European military martial arts are about this. A blade cuts only on the draw, an axe also is such a delecate placement. blunt weapons are useless weapons ie bashing is a waste of energt try keeping that up for hours it also blunts the only impliment at you disposal. Thus to place ( maim point) is to gain point to draw and dispatch( kill point )in vunerability wins. This is evident against plate harness also. A sword to plate is wasted only blunts, but a sword to vunerable to maim then to dispatch through the vunerable wins. easy. No hammering required. A mace to helm might dent, might not as the raised arm needed creates the vunerability. Just a few thoughts
White Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:03 pm      Reply with quote

AN English staff was usually as thick as your wrist, made of oak or ash and about 9 foot long and weighed a ton.
Colin I think that the reason why Stephan didn't want to count hits from a staff is because in NAAMA a staff looks more like a broom handle and he didn't want people using NAAMA staffs (or broom sticks) which of course would be useless in battle, and some reenactors have no idea what a real staff looks like. I know that I didn't until you showed me one of your staves.

A real staff could murder someone in plate and is too difficult to use safely in play fighting of any kind. Oh if only it could be! As I think it is a beautiful weapon.

Stephan I think that your ideas for combat are reasonably good and are worth a look at. Although not perfect, nothing is especially in the developing stages, I think that your rules for combat are simple and are better than some of the other existing forms of combat, where a tap against plate is considered a kill.
It is too dangerous to safely attempt to duplicate real combat with sharp weapons and other weapons such as a true English staff.

I eventually want to do WMA combat which includes thrusts to the face, visors worn of course, where the object is to hit without being hit. But until we get the gear where we can get to that level I feel that Stephan's combat style is something which we can use right here and now, and I would be willing to have a look at it with the view that I may learn from it and enjoy it, until I can do WMA combat.

Stephan, perhaps we could incorporate in your style the idea of hitting without being hit. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this term, get in, hit him and then get out without being hit because as you know your first hit might not kill him instantly before he has a chance to hit you with a mortal blow within the next second. For simplicity let's not make it any more than a second later.
What do you think?

Colin, yes I do agree with you that the first hit system does encourage speed before skill but, I think that Stephan was trying to simplify the rule system rather than making it too complex because as you know sometimes a first hit can kill and it should be counted as such under a rule system if it appears to be a good, clean, well executed strike.

Of course the T.O.D rules are too simple for my liking and I hope that we can progress from there especially if we are wanting to do WMA.

Brent.
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: