Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Textiles, Garb and Jewelery
Putting my Greek garb together
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Daniel Duxfield

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:01 pm      Reply with quote

I have a Qama, though the wrong period, gives me a good 22" short sword. I got it from Wargod at a good price and was a cheaper place to start.

It's the a good sword and is a descendent of the good old Roman Gladius. Known as a 'close-combat knife' as well as a sword, it was used by Persians to Cossacks.

But a Falcata would be niiiiiice. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:27 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Dux

Nothing Wrong with a Qama. We had a few as club swords. They are really good Pompeii type Gladius analogues and in history probably descended therefrom via Eastern Armenian use of the gladius while a Roman Client State. Our Quama were found for a good price as Club Swords only.

Wrap leather around the hilt/grip and no one would ever know.

King of Swords have a Kopis/falcata on offer. Hannay? offer the guy a good deal! I don't know how well it ever would work on the battlefield however. At the recent Roman Orgy, Patchini showed me a VERY NICE Greek Xiphos he had and a good length too.

These are a few thoughts. Dux, did you get that email address by PM?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:46 am      Reply with quote

Yeah I did, Gaius. Thanks for that I'll email him when I begin construction on the Tower shield.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:44 am      Reply with quote

I made a linen thorax for my son, Alec - yes, the new Alexander, who wore it at Taupo 2007 to fight in. It seemed very stiff but he managed OK. Fought with the Romans with Zeus as the only other Greek! He did expose an exceptional amount of skin to the public and lost interest interest in being a Greek after that!
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: