Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Armouring & Weapon Smithing
sword making
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

adrianf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:52 pm     sword making Reply with quote

umm yeah

dont relaly know what to say but

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/09/090908-taiwan-sword-video-ap.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:31 am      Reply with quote

dude that is just ronge on so many levels

and how dose the dead guy feel about being chucked in a fire to make a sword?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:37 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
and how dose the dead guy feel about being chucked in a fire to make a sword?

Haha! He can't feel anything... he's dead! Razz

It is rather odd all the same.

Lezle
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:18 pm      Reply with quote

Seems the ancient art of grave robbing is alive and well in Taiwan....
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:33 pm     Of swords and body parts Reply with quote

I can see the point in it though.
By having that different coloured flame (due to the chemical composition of the bone) they are heating the steel in a way that would potentially burn impurities out in a low oxygen atmosphere and the carbon residue of the bone in.
NB: I have no chemical skills and a low level of education by modern standards so:- "This could be complete CARP" but why shouldn't it make sense, weirder stuff than this does.

As for the Spirit into the blade, mystic, rainbow, bulldozer, canine excreta bit, well, whatever makes the sale.

Cheers

Bogue
Robbo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:41 pm      Reply with quote

Different cultures, different beliefs Smile

*hands out rabbits feet*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:52 pm      Reply with quote

You can be as pc and self righteous as you like about it Robbo, but if some dude wants to dig your grandma up so he can 'bind her spirit into a sword', how are you going to feel?

Yes, I'm playing devil's advocate.

N
thorsson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:57 pm      Reply with quote

Ill do it lol who wants one??
Boyd

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:24 pm      Reply with quote

"By chance, my friend was collecting bones from the deceased, then I just asked him to give me some human bones "

What a great friend! Razz

Meanwhile it's hard enough just trying to get some decent cow horn here!!

Aldous Huxley in "Texts and Pretexts", 1932
Robbo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:53 pm      Reply with quote

Freebooter wrote:
You can be as pc and self righteous as you like about it Robbo, but if some dude wants to dig your grandma up so he can 'bind her spirit into a sword', how are you going to feel?

Yes, I'm playing devil's advocate.

N

Do I get the sword? About time the bitch finally did something useful for me!

I wasn't being self-righteous or pc at all actually. I was trying to be open minded. My short swords have blood invested in them, and certain runes carved, other things spoken.

The dwarf has been making me a scimitar for 5 years now. He only works on it under the light of the full moon. It's never seen sunlight. It's been quenched in my blood and other fluids (bastard even hit me to get some tears). It has nail clippings, hair and I've breathed over her as she was worked. In every way I can think of this sword has a part of me in it.

I know quite a few people who have things of a similar nature. Down to the simplest things like I know of very few people who own runes that haven't been blooded. *shrug*

IF someone wants to use bones to invest spirit/mana/power into their blades, it doesn't bother me in the least. Legality is my only concern.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:32 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
IF someone wants to use bones to invest spirit/mana/power into their blades, it doesn't bother me in the least. Legality is my only concern.

The last thing I am doing is saying you can't do that, and if they're your own body fluids, more power to you.

What I am saying is that there are significant moral and ethical concerns - and legal ones too - in the construction of anything that uses human remains as part of the process.

I know I'm speaking from a western standpoint, and to be honest, I don't know the Taiwanese standpoint on this, but given many thousands of years of ancestor worship in the culture, I'd hazard a guess that it's a very grey area that the dude is working in.

Archaeologically speaking, the question of where the bones come from needs to be considered too.

Do you honestly feel that a sword so made would be superior, as the dude claims? Or is this a wind-up, done to create a sense of mystery about the process?

That isn't devil's advocate, by the way.

Nic
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:39 am      Reply with quote

I might be wrong but I have the impression that on Chinese Islands like Taiwan (and certainly Hong Kong) unless you are very rich, no one has the rights to a Grave sitein perpituity or for much or any longer than about 5 years or so.

Then the crypt is recycled. Some dodgy cemetary attendant swings by to sweap your bones out on the ground so they can be replaced by someone else.

I seem to recall that the Carnal houses and Cemetaries in New Orleans (and indeed in Paris) are not dissimilar.

The Catacombs of Rome (run by Christians) were also prone to being swept out periodically of osseus debris to make new space for the freshly dead.

I remember from the late 1970s when I was at an (osteopathic) School of Manual Therapy in Paris the Facility had a Huge repositary of random human skeletal remains in the Attic. It was mind boggling.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:36 am      Reply with quote

Interestingly, in many western cultures you find similarities tbh.

Bone weapon handles...that turned out to be human bone. Many other implements created using human remains as well. Admittedly, not in most western "civilised" cultures...but still.

Ethics and morals are entirely dependant on culture and era. Less than a hundred years go it was socially acceptable to beat your wife for being uppity...g'uck with that now. Human hair wigs cut from the poor women in the asylums was the norm, etc...But I can see your reasoning.

I can think of a whole host of reasons not to give someone such tools to craft with...but,as I said, only legal interpretation of why not to try it lol.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:41 am      Reply with quote

Ill do it
Boyd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:27 am      Reply with quote

Most of my stuff has my blood in/on it somewhere - more by accident than design however!! Laughing

Aldous Huxley in "Texts and Pretexts", 1932
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: