Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
This looks like a hoot
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Hawkwind™

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:59 pm     This looks like a hoot Reply with quote

Almost makes silver worth studying Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtzebWQ_iGo
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:14 pm      Reply with quote

Silver is brawled, not studied.
>:-]
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:13 pm      Reply with quote

Silver - the style you have to be drunk to enjoy. (joke)

At least it makes them move a bit more. (not entirely joking)

Razz

Note: the above post is humourous. please don't get offended if you are a practitioner of the arte in question.
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:48 pm      Reply with quote

Its all in how you read him.

But you're right about the drunk bit.

Drunken Master II is fanatic-tastic.

I & III are frrrp..!
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:14 am      Reply with quote

Why have legitimate posts been removed from this thread?

And without notification?

This is unacceptable.

I have a complete record of all posts made here, and not a single one was irrelevant to the topic under discussion. If we were discussing Jackie Chan's ability as a fight director, how is that offensive or off topic?

Many of us out there could learn a heck of a lot from someone as talented as he, and the techniques of fight direction are NOT art specific.

Nic
Colin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:31 am      Reply with quote

I will take on board the lack of notification.

The Jackie Chan posts have been moved to http://www.gatheringdarkness.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1881

It was and is off topic.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Carl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:46 pm      Reply with quote

I wonder what thier yard stick for "Half Drunk" is?

Are we talking Womble at 2am the Sunday of Naama or I don't know say Wellybex 7pm any given day of the Naama weekend. Wink

All that Half drunk seemed to make these guys was less concerned with thier timing and measure, I wonder what they fight like normaly.

you want to know what this reminded me of?

all of the shinai fighting we do at Taupo or Hamilton once the steel has been packed up and we all have a few under our belt. Which I think put to rest the opening statement about this being the first time this experiment has been done anywhere in the world Laughing

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:31 pm      Reply with quote

Freebooter wrote:
Silver - the style you have to be drunk to enjoy. (joke)

At least it makes them move a bit more. (not entirely joking)

Razz

Note: the above post is humourous. please don't get offended if you are a practitioner of the arte in question.

Not offended, and not drunk either. I kind of like Silver (that is to say that at times I think he's a bit silly, and at other times I think he's interesting to read, and has some very practical advice).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:25 am      Reply with quote

Please keep on topic. Discussions on mead belong elsewhere.

Carl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:26 pm      Reply with quote

Carl wrote:
I wonder what thier yard stick for "Half Drunk" is?

All that Half drunk seemed to make these guys was less concerned with thier timing and measure, I wonder what they fight like normaly.

Last relatively on topic post, still yet unanswered.

can we please stay on topic by discussing the...ohhh I don't know.....THE TOPIC maybe, and that includes telling all of the off topic people to take thier off topic comments somewhere else.

someone needs to start a discussion not constantly stand up and ask for silence.

What difference does being drunk make?

I have wondered about this, apart from the pain sensation dulling that alcohol creates what else does it do, there is the "Ten foot tall and bullet proof" syndrome but that will be quickly dismissed after a short time, it slows the reflexes (timing) and impairs Judgement (one of the governers) and affects balance. All of these things together in my thinking would make a drunk opponent a push over.

Why was this so important for a master to demonstrate?

Was there a shortage of door bouncers in 16c england

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:43 pm      Reply with quote

Well, two possibilities spring to mind.

1. If the person being tested is the one that is drunk, it is proof that you can overcome the handicap of inebriation to fight effectively.

2. If the opponent is drunk, it is a common thing for drunk people to do stupid/silly/unexpected things. Maybe the test is designed to test your ability to counter the unexpectedly silly or unexpectedly brilliant things a half-drunk person might accomplish?

When you are only half-drunk, you often experience a "zone" moment when your concious thinking gets out of the way of your trained reflexes and you pull off the unbelievable. There is a saying to the effect...

"Chance favours Children, Drunks and Fools." All for the mystifying ability to unexpectedly pull of the inspired unbelievable.

As a link to the previously bumped topic, that is probably the myth/legend/truth behind the "Drunken Master."

Oskar
BigMac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:33 pm      Reply with quote

Silver is about preserving your own skin and creating threat, drunks seldom care about this which can make them difficlut to put down.

Personally I think this is as close to a berserk or guy on PCP that silver could concieve and the test is to put down someone "unstoppable", who has no fear or care for there own safety.

TTFN

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:26 pm      Reply with quote

BigMac wrote:
Silver is about preserving your own skin and creating threat, drunks seldom care about this which can make them difficlut to put down.

Personally I think this is as close to a berserk or guy on PCP that silver could concieve and the test is to put down someone "unstoppable", who has no fear or care for there own safety.

TTFN

In which case Silver would say that as long as you keep your distance, you're fine. When your (drunken) opponent makes a move towards you, he will have the time of the foot and hand, whereas you only need the time of the hand, which is quicker.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:53 am      Reply with quote

Yet another irrelevant digression moved out of WMA

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:19 pm      Reply with quote

OH FOR PITYS SAKE COLIN WILL YOU STOP BEING SO THIN SKINNED AND ANSWER MY FRIKKEN QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am genuinely interested in this topic as it is apart of Silver's philosophy that has puzzled me.

but if on the other hand you are more concerned about keeping the pure faith of scientological swordfighting sacred then fine i will bloody well ask Nic.

Jeez Rolling Eyes

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: