Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
looking at getting into archery

Mad Jim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:35 pm     looking at getting into archery Reply with quote

Well this has been something I have been wanting to try for a while and now that I'm back to what I like most [history] I thought I'd take up the bow, or longbow should I say.
I have been trying to get hold of the Dunedin Archery club, but as of yet no dice, I know they are here and I have seen them in the last year.
Thier website doesn't work and neither do the emails.

Anyway I was looking at the NZAP longbows they have at $200, and going by what people have said here, they seem to do the trick.
Although I am unsure of size and poundage and going by thier draw length calcalator I have a wingspan of 71" and a draw of 28" and stand at roughly 180cm. Also I don't want a bow thats to light or to heavy on pounds. NZAP's traditonal longbow comes in size 58" and 68" and 20/30/40 pounds, I was thinking 58"size at either 30/40 pounds..

So please any help, or better info...cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:14 am      Reply with quote

hmmm no dice!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:30 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Jim
If you're keen on taking up archery why not go whole hog and get a medieval style longbow. All your arrows will be the same length 32". Your bow's drawlength will be 32" and you just draw to the full length of the arrow. A bow of around 70lb would give you a good shooting experience. A person of your height will manage that draw weight and draw length easily.
Mad Jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:21 pm      Reply with quote

yes cheers sounds a plan, just on a very tight budget!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:37 am      Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

You could get in touch with Oscar Maisel in Te Awamutu, who makes very nice bows. His cheaper bows aren't much more expensive than the NZAP bows but are much more authentic in construction.

http://www.gatheringdarkness.co.nz/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=329

I personally have an NZAP bow and am happy with it. However, English Warbowman is right, it doesn't look the part as much as a proper English longbow.

I don't know if you plan on participating in combat archery at any stage. If you do, this adds another consideration to the mix. Lighter poundage bows are a lot safer for this and if you want to direct fire at combatants, the NAAMA regs require 30lbs or less at 28" draw. Given you're in Dunedin, you may not be doing that too often so it's perhaps not a consideration.

In terms of bow length and strength. If you were to go with the NZAP offering - get the longer one. Shorter bows generally tend to draw less smoothly than longer ones. I'd also suggest getting the 40lb bow if you're going that way. Those ones do tend to relax a little over time and in a couple of years you'll have a 35lb bow.

But, if you don't mind waiting I would suggest contacting someone like Oscar and getting something custom made to your own requirements. You might be able to pick something up for around $300 at the lower end of things.

Nigel
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: