Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Unit combat (Wellington)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Colin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:42 am     Unit combat (Wellington) Reply with quote

I get asked fairly regularly about unit combat. I'm wondering whether there would be interest in the Wellington region for an interclub trial to look at tight formation unit work.

The aim would be for at least forty people (twenty a side). The focus wouldn't be on fighting per se, but rather the coordination of each unit in combat: less individual skill and more group skill.

Equipment: to be decided. Preferably not anachronistic (i.e. Romans, Vikings and cavaliars all together), but flexible to what period of unit combat. (All Greek, all Roman et cetera). I'm more interested in the weapons rather than the look. So if the Greek Dorian hoplites were selected you wouldn't need to look like the ancient Dorians, but you would need large shield, (short) spear, a ball park helmet et cetera. The other bit in equipment is to up the ante with regards to safety equipment so face protection would be needed.

When: whenever forty or more people want to do this
Where: dependent on what is convenient for those people
Expectation: A bit of fun whilst trying to figure out how they might have done things back then.

Ideally we'd more than forty, but IMHO that is the absolute bare minimum.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Carl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:44 pm      Reply with quote

Careful Colin You will end being a re-enactor one day Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:55 am      Reply with quote

Given the questions I was asked yesterday I want to clarify: this is about unit training. It's about coordinating a block of people into military effectiveness in a bygone era.

I am not organising a battle, at least at this stage.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
thorsson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:36 am      Reply with quote

mmmmmmm
Chevalier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:55 pm      Reply with quote

Carol held a short seminar series about strategies, including unit training, from a military point of view in 2007/08. It was really interesting and I reckon this practice sounds really good!
Robin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:02 pm      Reply with quote

Nick & The Rebel Alliance have been running combined arms workshops over the last 18 months or so.
While there hasn't been one since Eketahuna last year, it could work quite well there. The weekend is focused on learning so theres a bunch of willing participants, providing it fits into where they want to go with the workshops.
A bit of unit work could do us wonders in my opinion, although you may come up against the unusual situation of having more cavalry than infantry... Smile
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:09 pm      Reply with quote

Chevalier wrote:
Carol held a short seminar series about strategies, including unit training, from a military point of view in 2007/08. It was really interesting and I reckon this practice sounds really good!

Who was "Carol"?

We (Order of the Boar) have also been running combined arms workshops from time to time in Upper Hutt and got to the stage where we were able to effectively do some public work in this area at Manukau earlier this year.

Haven't done anything since then as we were busy with other displays up to ANZAC weekend and the weather since then hasn't exactly been good for this type of training. Hope to resume training shortly though.

Colin is talking something a lot different though, e.g. fairly large foot formation work.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Fungus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:13 pm     Combat Reply with quote

Robin its the rabal alliance not rebel and the goal behind it was to get more people used to horses and vise verser.
As with what Collin I think wants to do is infantry work which has its merits as apart from sheild wall the only common tactic Ive seen of late is form rabal and every so often a wedge thrown in.
As to the training weekends that have been organized if we have cavalry there the focus should stay on combined arms as it is not as easy to move horses around as it is to throw a bunch of infantry in a car.
The cost and hassel is alot higher for cavalry than it is for infantry or archery.
With calls for infantry workshops in Wellington and over here in New Plymouth maybe there is a need for foot only training weekends but I think that will depend on the amount of interest.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:15 pm      Reply with quote

Ask the Norse.

Even as disparate groups across the country, we can form a variety of forms, wheels, turns et al, when we come together.

Just cause we choose not to the bulk of the time is immaterial. Smile

At several events I've been to now, there have been entire sessions devoted towards small unit tactics. Fun fun fun! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:19 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
Who was "Carol"?

I introduced you shortly at Harcourt years ago. Anyway, Carol is a Red Raven and now living in the Wellington region; she studied Military History etc at uni, and is well-known for making garb (e.g., the Hospitaler tunics).
Nathan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:40 pm      Reply with quote

Chevalier wrote:
Quote:
Who was "Carol"?

I introduced you shortly at Harcourt years ago. Anyway, Carol is a Red Raven and now living in the Wellington region; she studied Military History etc at uni, and is well-known for making garb (e.g., the Hospitaler tunics).

Carol-Jo Phillips
Masters in Defence Studies (Massey)

Did her thesis compariring the Battle of Palanar Fields (LOTR) with the 3 major invasions of Britian. Good reading.

She has a top notc understanding of historical unit combat, and makes quality historical clothing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:43 pm      Reply with quote

Oooooh. Now, considering I'm dong my degree in the same field she's got a masters in...and I love LotR?

I want a copy of that thesis!! Shocked

Trip to palmie in the next 2 weeks *joy*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:12 pm      Reply with quote

Robbo, ask Conal, he will be able to get hold of Carol-Jo. Then forward me a copy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:52 am      Reply with quote

Conal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Need a flavour dude!! *hopeful look*

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:25 pm      Reply with quote

...working...
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: