Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Taupo 2010
Poll - self-catered or not?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you prefer to self-cater or have meals cooked for you?
Self-Catering
79%
 79%  [ 34 ]
Meals laid on
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Don't care
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 43

Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:45 pm     Poll - self-catered or not? Reply with quote

I've got some ideas, but I'm curious to hear your ideas on this...
Hawkwind™

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:07 pm      Reply with quote

I voted yes, not sure if this applies to me, but my reasoning is that I get to run around like a lunatic the whole time, there is no chance that I have time to cook for myself during the event.

I would write more, but I have to go into town.

edit:

When I say I voted yes, I mean I voted yes to meals put on.

Last edited by Hawkwind™ on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:47 pm      Reply with quote

Would be good to have group self cater ie each club/group of inderviduals cater for themselves as a unit. More likely to a) get something done, b) share the load, c) control the number of fires needed d) cover those who can't cook, don't have gear, travel long distances.

More social as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:44 pm      Reply with quote

I say self catering for 2 reasons.

1. My family has some odd dietary concerns, it's just easier.

2. Hard for people to bitch about the food when it's their own lol.

Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:04 pm      Reply with quote

I have to agree with the second point, that said, I don't really mind either way.
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:45 pm      Reply with quote

I voted self catering. The poor organiser has a ton of other (more important) stuff to do in order to pull the event together so the more that people are self-reliant the better this is.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
hawke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:30 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Just thought would say "Hi'. We from Napier self-catered for Taupo, and on the Saturday night also feed some other rein-actors who had missed out on food. This wasn't a problem for us as we are pleased to have camp-side visitors and of course it was the medieval way "to break bread together". We also cooked some meat for you Nick, it was a surprise that the meat turned up but our non-combatants took the job on and did a great job. By the way we only got the bones left but that was fine as we made stock and a thin meat stew and shared it around to some other camps the next day. All pulling together makes a great difference. Smile
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:10 pm      Reply with quote

I voted for self catering, its more fun and as Robbo said it makes it easier for special dietry needs.

I do have to point out with regards to groups cooking some of the beasts for the main feast at last Taupo, there were a few of us that had no idea that the beast were actually for the feast. We were never made aware that the beasts were for the feast and I know that TMS weren't aware either. Comes down to miscommunication.

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:41 pm      Reply with quote

Yes. It does come down to miscommunication.

Let me clear this up right now.

1) None of the meat cooked by re-enactors was intended for the public. Not Ever. That meat was provided for you to cook as par of your own feasting.
This seems to have been where a major mess-up occured at the event. For some reason the meat came back to the catering kitchens, instead of remaining in the camps where it could be eaten.

2) And by the same token, Nobody ever cooked anything for me personally, as has been stated. If that were the case I would have asked you myself.

3) As far as I was aware, I provided six sheep to be spread amongst any who wanted them to be shared around. Anne had the helm on that one, but I believe tha the animals were shared out to volunteering groups, one of whom was the sacred sword. I believe you guys would up doing two in the end.

4) It was stated quite clearly that there would be food provided at the event as part of the package. It was also stated that if you didn't want the food provided, you couldn't expect more money.

Any chance we can put this behind us now?

Thanks,

Nic
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:20 pm      Reply with quote

Thank you Nic for clearing that up, I was getting sick to death of hearing people whinning about it and what you have posted has cleared the air. Very Happy
did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Robbo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:12 pm      Reply with quote

got my vote.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:11 pm      Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the clearing things up Nick. All I can say about the meat we cooked at the Sacred Sword that most of it was carved up at our fire and was taken to the main feast. I hope you understand that I'm not complaining here, I was just stating what happened at our camp. We didn't know it was for us and the camps nearby, we were told by whoever brought the meat around that we were cooking for the feast. My husband was one of the cooks and he doesn't know many of the rein-actors as he generally only comes with us to Taupo, so I have no idea who dropped the meat off for us to cook. I think you are all right in saying "wires got crossed and unexpected things happened", it all can come out in the wash. As I said earlier we had enough to feed ourselves and any others who came by hungry and we were happy to do it. Cheers Smile
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:15 pm     Sheep and Fire Reply with quote

I took the meat over to the fire of the Sacred Sword because a group that was supposed to be cooking it didn't.
I asked Mike if it was OK and the guys at the fire didn't seem to mind.
I was one of the cooks for the feast and the re-enactors
Won't do that again

cheers
Bogue
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:36 pm      Reply with quote

Moving right along...

Personally I'm rapidly losing interest in attending camps that don't offer self-catering. As with many people who've been doing this for a while, I'm enjoying the encampment side of things more than the combat side and self-catering is a must in that regard. However, I think you also need to offer options to those who don't want to self-cater or who can't self-cater.

I'm only speaking for myself, but I'm happy to come to Taupo because it's one of the best camps we have now. I'm happy to come without expectation of food or money. Not everyone will agree with this of course. And perhaps if you need to dish out money or food you do this on the basis of who's volunteered time rather than automatically give it to everyone.

Perhaps find out ahead of time who needs feeding and cater for them specifically (order pizza every night if you have to), but let the rest do their own thing in their own way.

One final suggestion - if there are clubs out there that really enjoy cooking and want to make some extra money, why not offer to cater for X number of other people as well, for those who wish to sign up for it. That helps out the organisers and some non-self-catering people may get to meet new friends over a good meal.

Nigel
Robbo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:52 pm      Reply with quote

NigelT wrote:

One final suggestion - if there are clubs out there that really enjoy cooking and want to make some extra money, why not offer to cater for X number of other people as well, for those who wish to sign up for it. That helps out the organisers and some non-self-catering people may get to meet new friends over a good meal.

Nigel

Having catered several events now, being fully aware of the logistics nightmare to make it happen, prepare fir it, plan for and then do it? My personal opinion is that re-enactor's it's just not worth it.

At no single event I've been to, where I was in the kitchen or not, has it been anything beyond a bitter dissapointment. Self-catered, or small group, gigs aside.

Imo, an almost humble one. They just like to moan more then the nice folk who hang around Vivienne St (wgtn) or Fort St (Alkd). Food I thought was awesome, I've later heard was utter crap by dissenters.

You know, the ones you never see helping anyway. *shrug* Easier to let everyone fend for themselves, then they can only complain about themselves :p

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: