Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Other Crafts
Yurt photos

Thys

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:15 pm     Yurt photos Reply with quote

not sure as to how accurate the site is but the pics may be useful.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=919

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:42 pm      Reply with quote

Great link thanks.

From what I've seen elsewhere, they all look authentic. However because most of them are actual present day dwellings and not intended as historical replicas, it's hard to say if they're accurate for any particular historical period.

I don't know how much yurts have changed over time, but if anyone has any good period yurt references I'd love to see them. Especially if they're kazakh in origin (or that geography). The yurts in the link above are Mongolian - a slightly different shape and construction.

Nigel

Last edited by NigelT on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
cassia de la rose

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:34 pm      Reply with quote

We own a mongolian Yurt. It is not authentic materials, however according to the guy who made it for us, the design is about the same as way back when.... I can take a picture of it next time we put it up if anyone is interested.
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:17 am      Reply with quote

Yes please. I'm always keen to see what other peoples yurts look like.

And yes, we own a Khazak yurt, which is likewise not made of authentic materials but is pretty close to an authentic design - I'm just not 100% sure on the time period. There are photos of it in the gallery all over the place - just check out Taupo Joust photos for the past few years.

I'd love to see more yurts turning up to events, it would be nice not to be the only one.

Cheers,
Nigel
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: