Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:13 am      Reply with quote

conal wrote:
Cranial weapon injuries from Anglo-Saxon dover
International Journal of Osteoarchaeology
Volume 6, Issue 1, Date: January 1996, Pages: 10-14
T. Anderson

... Sutton Hoo style lid meets Dane-axe?

The abstract reads:

Quote:
Two adult male skeletons from Buckland Dover, dated to the pagan Anglo-Saxon period, displayed evidence of cranial weapon injury. In one case (SK 348) the injury, probably inflicted by a sword, showed no evidence of healing. The other (SK 303b), possibly an axe injury, appears to have been survived. The nature of the traumata, blade injuries, suggest that they were inflicted in battle rather than the result of a street brawl. However, neither skeleton was buried with weapons, suggesting that they may have been seized by the attackers on the battlefield.

Would love to read the whole article though. Sounds very interesting.

N
Daniel Duxfield

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:35 pm      Reply with quote

I had a read of this thread yesterday (my further research into how you guys are going about all things re-enactment). Personally, I bought a mouth guard and will use one as standard. I even offered to buy Mad Jim one when I got mine (call it an attempt a reparations for my bad blow to his lip).

in reference to the axe statements, I remembered that I saw at www.windrosearmoury.com a line of rubber axe heads. Follow this link; http://www.windrosearmoury.com/zc/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=30_23&sort=20a&page=2 to find them.

I know that a rubber axe head should not make up for bad technique and form, but if it goes some way to making the combat just a little safer then would that not be a good suggestion? Especially with some of those longer two handed Norse axes I saw being wielded about.

Buggered If I'm going to let some cat knock my melon with one of those things!

Anyway my 2 cents worth. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:45 pm      Reply with quote

GAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

A two handed axe is as safe, or dangerous, as any other pole-arm. A Dane axe is actually safer than a pole axe due to the extra weight on the head of said pole-axe. Regardless, the REAL issue is the training, not the weapon.

All injuries, to person or armour, I've seen have come from stupidities such as trying to use a great axe with ONE hand *muttermuttermutter*. I've seen a dagger do more damage due to torque, and rapier(esque) weaponry do the same due to speed complications.

No amount of armour/protection is going to save your bacon from a dork being a dork. Training can, will and does.

This community service announcement was brought to you by the letter ME, and the number 412. Ty for your time. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:46 pm      Reply with quote

Duxfield wrote:

I know that a rubber axe head should not make up for bad technique and form, but if it goes some way to making the combat just a little safer then would that not be a good suggestion? Especially with some of those longer two handed Norse axes I saw being wielded about.

The solution is not to make the weapons less dangerous but rather to correct the poor technique people wielding them think they can get away with. If we start changing the weapon we use to make them safer we may as well join the SCA and start swinging sticks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:29 pm      Reply with quote

Fair enough. Can't argue with that.

(Do you always mutter to yourself Robbo? You should see someone about that . . . . Laughing)

SCA? No thanks (As I shudder with revulsion).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:42 pm      Reply with quote

Duxfield wrote:
(Do you always mutter to yourself Robbo? You should see someone about that . . . . Laughing)

Wiseass *muttermuttermutterstompstompstomp*

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:43 pm      Reply with quote

Hey Duxfield, never disparage the Society.

Admittedly wailing on a dude with a rattan weapon isn't to my taste but here in NZ the SCA do some of the finest research and recreation of kit and equipment.

And it must be said that there are many steel fighters (myself included) that wouldn't last 5 secs on a Society battlefield.

cheers
Bogue
Robbo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:46 pm      Reply with quote

pls, don't force Derek to issue his challenge again!!!

The worthy started in the SCA, came to a few Naama's, joined in on some steel training sessions.

I believe the last time he made his open challenge (can't recall if it was 3 or 5 weapons), he remained undefeated and his lovely wife received more than a few roses.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:53 pm      Reply with quote

with what I have seen on youtube from SCA bouts it seems that they don't have any real technic its just bash bash, get down on knees and bash bash..in fact I cringe when I watch them! but on the other side for the research their resources are vast and great and indeed a good help!.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:47 pm      Reply with quote

I think all Norse should be given rubber axes.

Because that would be really phukkin' funny.
Robbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:57 pm      Reply with quote

shove yer rubber axe where the rubber doesn't shine sunshine :p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:42 am      Reply with quote

With regard the SCA, I think a lot of metal blade fighters would do awfully wel to go to some of their heavy training, I went a couple of times and it opened my eyes immediately to the difference that unfettered speed makes in a fight. And pay no attention to the You Tube stuff you see, in terms of heavy combat our sca (New Zealands) seems to be considerably more advanced at making it more like real combat.

of course that is just my opinion.
Carl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:57 am      Reply with quote

Mad Jim wrote:
with what I have seen on youtube from SCA bouts it seems that they don't have any real technic its just bash bash

Now just imagine what it would be like if that speed and power was married with perfect technique Twisted Evil

and there is technique in SCA fighting it is just SCA technique which they have spent many years perfecting.

besides they provide the Toilet Paper dispensers at taupo so don't get on thier bad side Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:54 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
and there is technique in SCA fighting it is just SCA technique which they have spent many years perfecting.

Not only that. SCA metal-blade research is usually pretty much bang-on.
Many of the better respected researchers in historical combat have an SCA background too. The emphasis on research goes a lot further than just kit and camps.

Quote:
besides they provide the Toilet Paper dispensers at taupo so don't get on thier bad side

arf?

oh..... you mean the SCA logo on the little blue plastic.... oh yeah.

cool.

CURSE YOU CARL!
I'll never look at those portaloos in the same way again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: