Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
mouth guards for head blow combat
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Grayson

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:57 am     mouth guards for head blow combat Reply with quote

I know Conal has been advocating this for a while and after the hammering my helm took on the weekend I will now support the call to bring this about.

I am just glad I have a 2mm helm with decent suspension/lining

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:23 pm      Reply with quote

I think it also depends on the style of fighting and the type of helm. Mine suffered significant damage to the crest and crown, but given the rules and lack of accidents no laterals. I think a mouthguard would be required mainly if you have lateral hits and a sloppy fit helm. Although having said that, many had little protection below the nose, and they should probably have been wearing mouthguards for accidental strikes, not to mention the body contact that happened in the Jugga games.
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:31 pm      Reply with quote

Robwell wrote:
I think it also depends on the style of fighting and the type of helm.

As Grayson said

Quote:
mouth guards for head blow combat

Grayson received a number of very heavy blows to the crown, side and back of his 2mm helm, one of the side ones was enough to bend the visor's hinge. This helm was made for him so the fit is very good and it also has a good suspension harness. He did end up with some headaches after receiving one too many heavy blows to his head, one guy also ended up seeing orange after taking a too heavy blow. I think what Grayson is trying to bring up is that if it had been someone else with a lighter helm, serious damage could have happened, at least having a decent mouth guard (I know he wants one that has a top and bottom) it can help minimize some damage within the mouth.

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Robwell

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:03 pm      Reply with quote

Part of what Robwell wrote, context is important.

[quote="gt1cm2"]
Robwell wrote:
I think it also depends on the style of fighting and the type of helm.

As Grayson said

Quote:
mouth guards for [b]head blo...

Given that you are talking about people on the verge of suffering head injuries, do you think we should be worrying about the teeth at this stage, or maybe the brain. Given that many of the headblows were uncontrolled, we shouldn't be going for more padding, simply more sense.
Grayson

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:27 pm      Reply with quote

Conal has said the Ravens use mouth guards during head blow and he has information that supports the use of mouth guards to reduce the effects of concussion.

That's my main concern, as Cindy has said I actually still have a headache from the weekend.

My support for this means that there is something we can implement and maybe enforce if we, as a group, need to.

Having a mouth guard on the weekend wouldn't have stopped the blows or dents occurring but maybe I wouldn't have the head ache I now have.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:31 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
simply more sense.

It would be nice to see more sense and weapon control on our battle fields. Unfortunately that doesn't always occur.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:12 pm     Egos Reply with quote

With people getting caught up with having to win and forgetting that your friends are on the other side or just not caring I think is a good reason not to have compitions at a public event/display or have them preset on who the winner is before the start.
There was big dents in helms on both sides and I think we should of seen it as only one side and one crew.
Apart from that I think that all the combatints went beyond the call of duty and under very trying conditions put on a VERY good show.
Most of the combatints where kitted up ready to go on time and the cavalry,infantry and archers all worked in well with each other.
A big thankyou from me to all involved as it may of been a hard show but it was a good show.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:18 pm      Reply with quote

Grayson wrote:
Conal has said the Ravens use mouth guards during head blow and he has information that supports the use of mouth guards to reduce the effects of concussion.

Hey Conal could post a link to this please, I showed the above quote to Maree and she is interested as she does not understand how a mouthguard would reduce the effects of a concussion.

on a personal note I giggle at how we have gone from demanding higher armour standards to compensate for heavier hits, and now we are back to talking about controlling blows. Mr. Green

please dont take that as a cue to hijack this thread into a pissing contest about Control V Charged Blows, it is just a personal observation.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:30 pm      Reply with quote

Carl wrote:

on a personal note I giggle at how we have gone from demanding higher armour standards to compensate for heavier hits, and now we are back to talking about controlling blows. Mr. Green

There is a difference between heavier hits on body armour and heavy hits on a head. Grayson knows very well that by wearing armour he is a target and will be hit hard but it still is no excuse for people not pulling blows when it comes to someones head. If the the big dent on his helm that was done by one of the axes had been done on one of the lighter helms it would have caused the wearer serious damage. I'm not a combatant but even I could see from the sidelines that people weren't being controlled or pulling the blows.

But back on topic, yes if a blow that is going to cause someone to be knocked out then a mouth guard is the least of your worries but it will at least reduce the chance of broken teeth or choking on your tongue if you have the right mouth guard.

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Ben

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:38 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:

Hey Conal could post a link to this please, I showed the above quote to Maree and she is interested as she does not understand how a mouthguard would reduce the effects of a concussion.

I'm also curious to know - I did a quick search on this (hardly a thourough investigation, but enough to get some idea) and all of the few articles that expanded on that statement refer only to concussion resulting from an impact to the front of the jaw (ie being knocked out from an uppercut or hit to the chin). This makes some sense, although all the articles acknowledged that more research is needed on this.
I see no relevance to side, back or top of head hits however - the latter having the most significance to us.
Kath

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:44 pm     mouth gaurds for head blow combat Reply with quote

Now I havent fought for a while (aside from a couple of light trainings post baby) BUT ....I think the photo of Dawson vs Ralph is a pretty telling one for several reasons.......the location of the strike (collarbone anyone??), footwork and hand position.

Personally I am now seriously considering not engaging with an opponent with an axe in head blow combat. Such strikes are proving too heavy - in part due to the size and weight in the axe head onto the crown. Having combatants with 2mm full suspension helms ending up with headaches/concussion would suggest that we have a problem.

PS - Conal sent me the info re wearing mouthgaurds and it was compelling reading, I have tried to wear one since....the dog likes chewing them too.....
Robbo

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:40 pm      Reply with quote

Couple of things I've noticed and would like to say. Smile

Mouth guards: Great idea. Back when I was fighting competitively in martial arts, they were mandatory. Not just for teeth protection but also for shock absorption.

Hate wearing them myself. Nose has been broken too many times and the damned things play havoc when trying to get an inhaler into your mouth quickly. Confused Still...I'd happily support making them advisory.

Head blows at Hamilton: Yup, saw a couple of helms nearly punched through with what appears to from the points of a weapon. Axes obviously come to mind, as most of those were on the mid ages helms. Perhaps Marshal's checking for round corners on them might help too?

The main axe users on the weekend were frank and Thorrson. I've taken hits from Frank's axe for years and never been concerned, I face Thorrson's every weekend. Aside from the dwarf, I'd place either guy as 2 of the safest axe users in the country...btw, the injuries to the helms I saw didn't match their axes. Also noteworthy, most helm hits (aside from the disgusting shot to Grayson's hinges...GRRRRR!!) all appear to be overshots...meaning the bottom of the beards are impacting the helm...much better than some of the sword strikes we all saw to the front of people's helms, yes?

The pic of Thorsson and Ralph's axe fight? With respect *bows*, the collarbone would be under that black strap keeping Ralph's breastplate in place. Shadows, and axe head location indicate a blow to bicep/tricep. Yes, footwork could be better, hand location is more than acceptable...at least to those Norse who are used to fighting with/against them. Note Ralph's axe has sharper points on it as well tho? Ralph you still owe me a fight in case you forgot. :p

On a personal note, I'd like to note that I have far more bruises from spear thrusts and hammers than swords or axes over the weekend...and yes, I did fight norse with axes Smile

Not, in any way, to denigrate anyone, or take away from their experiences of the weekend...but I think far more telling was everyone's desire to take multiple hits for the good of the show. On more than one occasion I watched people taken to the ground with over 6 head blows before collapsing...one heroic individual I saw took easily over 20 as he slowly collapsed! Awesome to watch, but I really felt for his scone. Shocked

Has anyone given thought to adding a new event to every "event" lol? The Jousters have skill at arms. Why not the infantry? How fast can you sprint 3m, hit 3 x 5cm targets and move on without breaking the object underneath (melon/egg/etc)? How fast can a spearman collect 3 rings, without tearing piece of paper 6"-1' behind each?

Banning a particular weapon isn't the answer (we originally banned warhammer's and maces for these very reasons iirc, yet here they are again). Control and respect are.

Aside from all of that, I think Fungus is on on the money, and I know several people vocalised that exact thing over the weekend. We're all mates, we're all on the same side...or at least we should have been.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:11 pm      Reply with quote

Firstly looked like a hoot pissed i missed it but the photos are great and the footage of the jugger was nice glad to see combatt sport at its best.

Nice job well done.

on the note of head blow and axes im in there with kath on this one as i do recall an axe fight or two with her back in the day (which rocked by the way)
and back then we were in agreement that alot of axe blows were landing too heavy.

Axes while they have an edge they are an inpact weapon and the mad bugger with said big axe is -

1) not trained with an axe
2) not pulling blows
3) over eager to get a kill
4) just plain weak

its gonna cause some poor bugger on the nasty side of the axe a hole lot of sore bits. alot has to do with the weight of the weapon and mostly the skill of the user.

They do look cool and in my mind the only weapon worth killing with but they aint easy to use safely.

plus head blow takes that little bit extra bit of care so that you get to down a few horn fills of the good stuff with ya mates after not dig em a hole.

Last edited by huscarl on Tue May 26, 2009 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grayson

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:13 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
Not just for teeth protection but also for shock absorption

Cheers Robbo that was the phrase I was trying to think of earlier, brain still not working at usual 75% (and that's got more to do with sleep deprivation and travelling than anything else)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:21 pm      Reply with quote

Yeah dude. Still knackered myself. 80km/h over the Desert Rd as the sun sets and sleet starts is not exactly my idea of fun. :s
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: