Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Old style boxing techniques return

Colin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:57 am     Old style boxing techniques return Reply with quote

Wahoo!

I indirectly trained an amateur boxer who had her first fight on Saturday May 2 2009

I typed out my review here

Not bad at all.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:33 am      Reply with quote

I have been fortunate enough to have seen some of your BKB stuff and have adopted elements of it for my own training. I feel that this is something you should be capitalising on more to promote your own school.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Colin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:53 pm      Reply with quote

Thanks Callum. I'm certainly trying to promote the BKB side of things. It's an extreme amount of fun.

BKB was one of the disciplines that caused me to think of running an EMA school in the first place; I couldn't justify teaching BKB under a medieval banner, and it was too much fun not to do it Cool

Curiously my neighbour's landlord is an old school boxer who has a bunch of friends who are old school boxers (including one man in his eighties). I'm hoping to tap into that as much as possible. In the wings is an idea that they want to put on an exhibition match of the earlier twentieth century style. I'll be into supporting that if it ever goes ahead. Hopefully it will be a reciprocal agreement. (Old school being relative term, since the style I teach is even older Mr. Green )

Of course I'm going to support Tony's daughter as much as possible. I'll be quite chuffed if I can get her to regular training and then onto using a subset of those skills in the ring.

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:03 pm      Reply with quote

The ideal would be to train her and sponsor her under the LHSEMA banner if she is serious about doing any more of this sort of stuff thereby exposing the BKB stuff to a potential target market.

The business model you should be starting with is to promote one class first and foremost as your bread winner and then using this to subsidise your other classes to allow them time to build up as well. So eventually you will hopefully have several classes doing well. This is the model I used for the UHMAA academy and it seems to work well.

Colin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:12 pm      Reply with quote

I fully intend to sponsor her, if she's willing.

The trouble with promoting one class over another is I like them all. It's kind of why I'm foolishly running so many. If I was smarter, I'd do one or two and run them multiple times per week.

conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:37 am      Reply with quote

Colin, cool to see students do well.

I think Callum's point on integrating a skill set into an existing lesson is a good idea.

Learning "defence in depth" it you'll permit the pun.

I have no idea what single time is... but "double time" sounds very light infantry.
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:46 am      Reply with quote

"Double time" is when you respond to an attack with an initial defensive move followed by a counter-attack, e.g. 2 moves in 2 spaces of time.

Parry-Repost in fencing or block-punch in karate being examples.

"Single Time" is when you combine the defence and counter-attack into one single movement or just one space in time. The "stab knock" in 1.33 being one example.

Single time gives the opponent less time to react than a double time move and is therefore more advantageous.

Colin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:16 pm      Reply with quote

What Callum says is true, but not the entire story of it. Any attack thrown in two motions is two times. Parrying first is one way this can be achieved. However for most people even their simple attacks are thrown in two or more times with no reference to a defence. This is how most people fight.

I will be thrashing out time and motion at the WMA Convention. In fact time and motion are so integral that without a very good understanding of them, those treatises are worthless to anyone trying to interpret them. And I seriously mean that.

As for my school. I teach time and motion from the very first lesson. It doesn't matter what the flavour of the night is. AS for the boxer it looks like I'll need to run a Friday night Sad Still, I think it will be worth it. She now has two from two Mr. Green

While I've enjoyed training people who have gone onto to be rather dominant in their chosen combat sports the boxer is the first time it could be directly beneficial to the development of my school. It's why I'm so excited by it.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: