Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Looking for a Longbow

Gregor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:53 pm     Looking for a Longbow Reply with quote

Hi
Having just had a go at archery at the Werececode camp this Easter and got the badge of the beginer archer (nasty bruise on the inside of my left arm) I am looking for a longbow. I have just read the thread on beginer level bows down the page a bit and was wondering if any other options have popped up.
Also I was wondering about the relationship between my height and how long a bow I should get.I am 6 foot tall.
Thanks
Gregor
Salem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:56 pm      Reply with quote

there use to be a really good archery shop in lower Hutt it has now moved to palmerston North. I think its called Arrowhead Archery. I got my bow from them and they were very helpful in explaining things to me. they moved this year so may not be in the phone book yet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:03 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Gregor. There is an archery store in Whangarei, also called Arrowhead Archery, strangely enough. They sell traditional type bows (that is: modern fibreglass laminated recurves & longbows), but I don't know about more primitive stuff. The guy I mentioned in my reply to your other post could probably help.
Regarding bow length, it depends on your draw length, and that depends on what you're going to do. If you're going to shoot a target or hunter style, any modern bow will be fine. If you're thinking of learning to shoot "medieval" style, where you draw right back to the ear, you would probably be better off with the longest bow you can get, either fibreglass or especially wood.
You could always try to make your own...

John
Effigy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:18 pm      Reply with quote

Hey Greg
Did you try my oak longbow over the weekend? You can get them from the Baron of Ildhafn (SCA), Don Emrys Tudor, (mundanely Matt Mole).
PM me and I will put you in touch.
Anne
Frosty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:22 pm      Reply with quote

seeing as everyone else is doing it i may aswell do it too.

Oscar Miasel
the guy who made my 100lb bow makes beautiful bows.
he is based in Te Awamutu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:40 am      Reply with quote

i second frost. Well, except mine wasnt 100lb, it was 30 but yeh. Really really nice bow and its got a really smooth draw. Id definitely recommend him.
Gregor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:01 pm      Reply with quote

Hi
Thanks for the info everyone.Can someone PM me the contact details for Oscar Maisel ?

Thanks
Gregor
Keeghan_M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:55 pm      Reply with quote

his email is coldhearted_ozzee@hotmail.com
Kotek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:45 pm      Reply with quote

The bows by Emrys are good for the price. A good entry-level bow.
ann dugmore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:38 pm      Reply with quote

New Zealand Archery Products stock traditional English lonbows - $200.
I also get most of my shafts,nocks and points from them to make-up my own arrows.

Ann Dugmore - also in Whangarei!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: