Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Equestrian
Omaka 2009

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:46 am     Omaka 2009 Reply with quote

In a real baptism of fire last weekend, we evolved from just a single period (medieval) cavalry group into a multiperiod one as we displayed NZMR as part of a wider, badly organised Great War scenario at the 2009 Omaka Air Show.

The Sunday battle was the wildest, most fun I've had in re-enactment for ages despite the fact that at the end of our display we had 2 loose horses on the runway and aircraft landing.

Our display started well with our section riding out in the opening phase of the battle as a scouting party. However while I was told by the organiser that there would be no pyrotechnics while we were on the field, as we advanced in formation to to the enemy's positions, a number of German WW1 aircraft flew low over us in a bombing run and this was the signal for the pyro guys to explode a number of small charges about 50 meters from us.

Unfazed, our horses continued to advance forward and we did a letter perfect NZMR section dismount drill. While our new chum Bill from Auckland remained mounted and held our horses, Steve, Peter and I started to pepperpot forward, probing the enemy positions.

Suddenly the main pyro charges went off. Several cans of petrol in sequence so close that Steve and I felt the heat wave. We continued the dismount phase none the less and signalled Bill to bring up the horses and we went to the remount phase.

Just then all hell broke loose with the WW1 British tank opening up with it's main gun immediately behind the horses and some massive airbust pryos were let off just over our heads.

At this stage two of the horses said enough was enough and took off down the runway leaving one rider behind. I had yet to remount so just lead Jake off on foot with another rider next to me. Unfortunately he had to make an emergency dismount and lost his horse too. Fortunately both horses were not that panicked and were sensible enough to run to the foot crew who we had stationed at the runway exit in the event of this happening.

Despsite this, until the remount phase our display of WW1 NZMR drills was flawless and the horses did really well coping with low flying aircraft and gun fire. It was not until everybody started opening up around us that they decided enough was enough.

It turned out that the organiser had not advised either the pilots or pyro guys that horses would be on the field and there was no communications between the the 5 separate command elements that took part in this battle.

Still, nobody was badly hurt and the horses were settled enough to remount and ride away a few minutes after all the drama. However while our team's performance and professionalism under pressure was recognised by the organisers and while they have invited us back for the next show in 2011, we won't be going unless we have total control of the air and ground theatre while our horses are in it (like we had for our jousting display there in 2007).

Big praise for Willie, PJ, Charlie and Jake who performed superbly. Alan Larsen said they are a great team of horses and did more than could be expected of them under conditions where most other horses would have really panicked.

Many thanks also to the foot crew - Keita, Ray, Rhiannon, Alan and Becca and also many thanks to Dave for being able to provide great commentary and improvisation when everything turned to custard.

After all that, I can't wait until the next one!

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Peter Lyon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:28 pm      Reply with quote

Callum summed it up really well. Sunday in particular got pretty wild; at the time I was pretty unimpressed by the safety issues raised, but looking back on it now it was an amazing experience, and I am looking forward to going back in 2011. Oh, and the aircraft were cool too, especially the Mk IX Spitfire.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:23 am      Reply with quote

The whole event was a blast!

I've loaded some photos to flickr

gt1cm2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:28 am      Reply with quote

Nice!

That would have been very cool to watch!

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Mad Jim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:44 am      Reply with quote

well I looked out for you lot and didnt see a single one of you! I was looking out for Dave Smith, too and of those I asked hadnt seen you lot about at all! but then I didnt realise you were doing ww1 and not medieval, and I was with the commonwealth forces most of the time [ww2]..dang!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:58 am      Reply with quote

Mad Jim wrote:
well I looked out for you lot and didnt see a single one of you! I was looking out for Dave Smith, too and of those I asked hadnt seen you lot about at all! but then I didnt realise you were doing ww1 and not medieval, and I was with the commonwealth forces most of the time [ww2]..dang!

There were a lot of people there who also do medieval re-enactment but who were in different kit, including Zane and Jenny. We were all in WW1 kit and when we weren't on the field during the day we were with the horses practising and taking care of the 4 sets of original WW1 horse saddlery and tack we had. The horses were agisted in the paddock at the left side of the of the entrance to Omaka.

All of our crew wore civvies with our club t-shirts when not in uniform rather than medieval kit. We spent a bit of time in the bar and on the Sunday night those that weren't sleeping were at the Kangaroo Court!

Also, thanks Errol for posting the photos. If it's OK I'd like to publish some on our website.

Errol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:34 pm      Reply with quote

Callum wrote:

All of our crew wore civvies with our club t-shirts when not in uniform rather than medieval kit. We spent a bit of time in the bar and on the Sunday night those that weren't sleeping were at the Kangaroo Court!

Also, thanks Errol for posting the photos. If it's OK I'd like to publish some on our website.

Mike Hansen and I had a couple of pints with Dave on Sat night, as well as sharing the 'found' beer on Sunday Smile

OK to publish on your website, just credit me.
There are a couple more on this Wings over NZ aviation forum thread, let me know if you would like me to PM your email to anyone there.
Errol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:14 pm      Reply with quote

Hey Callum, you're in the DVD trailer (via Wings Over NZ Forum)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfi8VPzanK8
Chevalier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:39 pm      Reply with quote

How dark the horses' coats look with that lens! Shiney too Laughing
Errol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:55 pm      Reply with quote

The DVD is now out
http://www.omaka.org.nz/omaka-merchandise.htm

Another trailer at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7C8Wpe-wGk&feature=related
Chevalier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:07 am      Reply with quote

Could you please advise how much of the horse sequences are included as to make a decision to purchase more informed? Thanks (ad yes, I am aware this could take a few days/week)...
Errol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:19 am      Reply with quote

Chevalier wrote:
Could you please advise how much of the horse sequences are included as to make a decision to purchase more informed? Thanks (ad yes, I am aware this could take a few days/week)...

From someone who has seen it:

"There's a few glimpses of horses in the WWI battle scenario, but there's a longer sequence in a bonus feature talking about their reaction to the noise and bolting."
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:09 pm      Reply with quote

Errol wrote:
Chevalier wrote:

From someone who has seen it:

"There's a few glimpses of horses in the WWI battle scenario, but there's a longer sequence in a bonus feature talking about their reaction to the noise and bolting."

That's incorrect. There is a fair amount of glimpses of the horses in the rather short WW1 scenario section which focuses mostly on the aircraft and we get a fair amount of good exposure in the short segments of the ground battle activity.

Dave (one of the organisers) made some comment in one of the the bonus segment about a loose horse on the runway giving him some grief at the time and there is a brief glimpse of Charlie heading down the runway but to say that that the coverage of horses in the bonus feature is longer - or even negative - is incorrect.

It was unfortunate that a organisational stuff-up brought a rather dramatic end to our otherwise successful display. Had they not fired the airbursts right over our heads as we were remounting and given us a few more seconds, then our first appearance in a modern battle re-enactment would not have ended so dramatically Very Happy

Grizz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:17 pm      Reply with quote

It sounds like you guys had a Ball .Well done Very Happy
Ive been there to ,when Pyrotechnics are going off all around you when your on horse that have no experience of this kind of thing ...it can be a hairy experience.Scary, but funny at the same time ..
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:47 pm      Reply with quote

It was a real adrenaline rush. Afterwards I wanted to have a serious chat with the Pyro guy but he had been left out of the loop as well. In hindsight it was a lot of fun and a great experience.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: