Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Equestrian
Order of the Boar Off-Season Training Workshops

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:36 am     Order of the Boar Off-Season Training Workshops Reply with quote

We use our off-season (e.g. when we aren't doing many public displays) to upgrade our own skills as well as to train new horses and personnel.

The 2009 Off-Season Programme, although still tentative, will look something like this:

1st Weekends of May, June, July, August, September and October

Saturday - Horse and Foot Melee Training
Sunday - Mounted Skill-at-Arms and Joust Training

(A training charge towards materials will be levied on the Sunday mounted skill and joust training days. Typically this is $50 for Order of the Boar non-owner riders and $100 a day for riders who are not members of Order of the Boar.)

Training is always very dependent on the weather, particularly so over the late Autumn to early Spring so the dates are tentative and subject to the weather. The first Saturday of the month has also been chosen to compliment our monthly Fiore Longsword class.

We can also modify the date somewhat for each month if it clashes with other events.

Details of each workshop will be confirmed closer to the date on the "Upcoming Events" page at www.jousting.co.nz

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:58 am      Reply with quote

sounds good! we'll be there with Shaasta, will be good for her as I turned her out and now she is a bit of a porker!
did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:09 pm      Reply with quote

pooh. won't be making the first workshop now (with the horse anyway), horse has caught a viral thing that is going around and is coughing worse than me. Even if she is much better by then we won't as I'm not going to risk her passing it onto your guys. Oh well, will be next time.
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:37 am      Reply with quote

Will had a cold recently too.

We will be cancelling the first (May) workshop anyway as I think this clashes with the Hard Camp and also I will have only just got back from the St. George's Day Tournament in NSW and will not have time to plan the workshop properly.

I will also be reviewing the format of the workshop in light of the Omaka weekend and the expanded direction that we are now taking with wider equestrian re-enactment.

Saturday will most likely be a medieval focussed day while Sunday will focus more on the formation riding skills and drills of the later NZMR period as a lot of NZMR riders now want to work with us - both in the NZMR stuff and a few are also keen on helping out with medieval stuff too Very Happy

So we have also tapped into a new pool of horses and riders Very Happy

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:55 pm      Reply with quote

Well the very wet Winter that we've been experiencing up until now has put the dampener on our off-season training plans.

We are now looking at running a jousting and related skills weekend in late Spring and Joram has very kindly agreed to pass on some of his huge wealth of knowledge and experience at this workshop.

We are also looking at running a workshop with Joe Lumsden and I will be contacting Joe soon to see what date would suit him. We are looking at running this sometime in late August/early September.

Off-topic, but it may be of interest to people who also do other periods as well is that we are also looking at a "modern period" cavalry workshop as well and by this I mean late 19th century/World War 1. Probably look at holding this in early 2010.

Now that the days are getting longer, we are also resuming our monthly infantry/cavalry training sessions on the first Saturday of the month with the next one on Saturday August 1st, weather permitting.

Further details will be posted here and on other related fora as the planning for these training sessions evolve. Unfortunately the Order of the Boar website is down for the moment being redeveloped.

gt1cm2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:42 am      Reply with quote

Excellent, count Shaasta in for the first one in Sept, we have the dentist on the 1st of Aug and she needs to get a little bit fitter. If he is still keen Adrian will be riding her.
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:58 pm      Reply with quote

and being the clever dicky I am I've just realised that I won't be able to make sept, I'll be in Melbourne seeing my husband! Can't believe I forgot that. Plus madam has been out with an abscess for three weeks now so she certainly won't be fit. Next time.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: