Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Banning swords
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     View previous topic :: View next topic  

Mad Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:53 am      Reply with quote

well the world, well our world [western world] is becoming far to precious, with PC and the likes, they would if they could ban everything from us...hey why not ban learning Asian martial atrs, people could use that as a weapon, and speech why not ban that too, may as well!
the way I see it from Martial point of view is that, I feel being a New Zealander and having my family with about 8 generations of living here, I have no real culture other than that of bbq's and alcohol abuse, and the only real conection I have with my ancestral history is 'Western Martial Arts' and the wish to keep it alive and happening, just like the Moari and thier ancestral fighting arts I should have the right to save my history, that being said the government will never take away Moari traditional fighting and martial arts...as it is I have seen persons wandering the main streets of central Auckland wearing/carrying a Mere, which is just as nasty a weapon as a scamsax, though no one cares! so anyway there for I/we should have every right to learn and practice OUR historical arts, to hell with PC bollacks, and besides England is such an upside down face of a place hence why they all come here to get away from it all...failing that we may as well live in a totaliterian socioty...well not I, I'd die fighting if it came to that.....freeeeeedommmmm!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:11 pm      Reply with quote

Colin wrote:

I have had feedback from the Taupo 2009 event about re-enactors being a bunch of drunken louts. Maybe it isn't true at all, maybe only a handful got drunk during the day, maybe it was only a few pretending to be drunk or perhaps a number did get sloshed.

Colin, I was actually there, I am pretty sure I know exactly what that rumour refers to (there were 2 groups of people, but one more obvious than the others), firstly they were members of the public and secondly they were handled professionally and amicably by the organisers of the event (of which I am one).

I would appreciate it if you did not come onto a public forum and spread second hand rumours about an event you had nothing to do with, it helps no one (even you) and frankly reeks of political agenda.
Colin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:10 pm      Reply with quote

Perhaps you're right in that they were members of the public, but other members of the public didn't think so. While you're obviously touchy about any negative criticism of that event, it does indicate how quickly a poor image can be created.

It was not meant to be a slight on the organisers despite what you might think. I also laugh at your attempt to align it with a "political agenda". These people happened to be touring Taupo at the time. They're not in anyways involved with "medieval" stuff for lack of an alternate term. The sole reason I know about such comments is because when people learn that I'm into swords, they automatically assume I'm involved with "medieval re-enactment" for which I have to painstakingly state I'm not. So it can lead onto interesting discussions.

These selfsame people went to the Manukau Medieval Market in Levin last year and thought that was great seeing it had activities that their children could do and of course went into that in great detail. I mention this just in case you want to pursue your "political agenda" train of thought.

Of course I've heard far worse comments about Taupo, but you could accuse those people having a "political agenda" seeing as they were or are European medieval re-enactors (i.e. from Europe). Their comments are also irrelevant to my point. IOW if you think I'm somehow targeting your Taupo event you're severely misguided.

My point being that "re-enactors" in general need to clean their act up if they're worried about legislators coming down on them regarding swords. IOW foster a positive image, and that unfortunately requires common agreement since it only takes a small amount of twits to ruin it for everyone else. You need to clean up your own house if you want any form of damage control.

Hopefully that will be the last of the obfuscation.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:23 pm     Excuse me? Reply with quote

Actually, Colin, the medieval re-enactment community were impeccably well behaved at Taupo. We had no instances of drunkenness amongst our people through the day, as you have alluded to, and all displays of public revelry were friendly, amicable and well conducted by all who took part. Especially those in which we involved the public.

When we did let our hair down, we did it after hours and without endangering ourselves or anyone else.

All the public displays in the town, and there were several; were likewise conducted professionally and safely by all involved. Indeed, the event did a great deal to improve the general perception of re-enactment amongst those who saw it.

I'd like to add to that that Taupo 2009 saw no serious injuries. Some tapped knuckes and scratches, but nobody needed hospitalisation. The worst offender was the heat, and we all dealt with that pretty well too. So as an argument in favour of banning swords, Taupo and the re-enactors involved did an awful lot to change opinions, not to reinforce them.

I'm sorry that you feel that you need to bag re-enactment. I really don't know why, but it makes one ask the question of why you are a moderator on this site if all you can do is see our community in such a negative light.

Nic
Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:03 pm     Re: Excuse me? Reply with quote

Freebooter wrote:
it makes one ask the question of why you are a moderator on this site if all you can do is see our community in such a negative light.

Just to cast some light on this matter: Colin moderates the Western Martial Arts section of the forum because he is one of New Zealand's foremost experts on Western Martial Arts. He also has a great deal of experience as a re-enactor, although he has chosen to step away from that part of the hobby.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:04 pm      Reply with quote

This again guys take a good look at NZ law and you will see all you need.

and Colin man im sorry that i forgot that you are the grand god guru poobah on all things martial arts and re enactment in NZ.

I think you need to go to Mitre 10 and get a crow bar, so you can get your head out of your ass.

There are quite a few of us here who have had a lot more time studying the so called martial arts and researching our chosin hobby. Get a grip dude you are not all that you are good at what you do and you spend a lot of your time and effort getting it just so..

...do not forget were most ot the arts came from. They evolved by indivdual style so any Joe Bloggs swinging a stick around the back yard IS doing a martial art, just that this is his style. Look at Bruce Lee for one.

Sorry about the rant but it gotta be said.

As for cleaning house in nz? We all do damn good. If you want to name guys like Dixon, Matt and I trained with him in the waikato and he wasnt messed up by the P then, he wasn't a half bad dude.

We all need to get a grip on this whole "there gonna bann swords" crap. If they do it will be because of crime you aint gonna stop that but then we may see a licence system like guns well if it come to that im keen but the more you panic about it the more you may push it there.

the current laws in place cover swords and more they are good and easly policed cant see them changing much if at all. In my job i get to see them all, most people who commit crime of a voilant nature with a weapon 9 x out of 10 its a baceball bat or a weel brace dont see them baning them in a hurry.

Mr. Green

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:34 pm      Reply with quote

...And hammers. Guys from South Auckland told me the latest thing there is for carloads of guys to get out of cars and go bash people with hammers.

Can do a lot of damage with a spade too. Someone stopped by the police can easily find legitimate reasons for carrying both in the car.

Which brings us back to what Stuart and some of the UK-based people are saying: this idea of banning knives, swords, or whatever it is (or might become) is based upon hysteria.

BTW, let's not re-hash the "What constitutes a Martial Art?" on this thread. It's been done already, there's at least one thread that ran out of steam on this topic months ago. If we're going to discuss that, may I suggest splitting this thread and diverting that part of the conversation there?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:37 pm     Re: Excuse me? Reply with quote

Massive thread drift yet again. It's kind of interesting sometimes how people move conversations sometimes.

Freebooter wrote:
Actually, Colin, the medieval re-enactment community were impeccably well behaved at Taupo.

Who knows? I'll have to let some of the people I'm still in contact with know they were delusional.

Freebooter wrote:
I'm sorry that you feel that you need to bag re-enactment. I really don't know why, but it makes one ask the question of why you are a moderator on this site if all you can do is see our community in such a negative light.

Nic

Actually, Nic, I'm not against "re-enactment" per se. I'm against people who lie. There are a number of people in the general re-enactment community who lie. Of course the obvious one that is relevant to this part of the board is those groups who claim to do "medieval martial arts" and don't. I don't care about the ones who make no claims about said topic, because as far as I'm concerned they're honest. I am, however, tired of re-hashing this same old argument.

I do get amused by certain groups/individuals who tell me "it is nothing" or "lighten up" because I can almost guarantee that if I turned up at their events dressed up as a Norseman wearing a horned helmet, spikey armour and a "skulled broadsword" and told the public that this was what Norsemen actually wore, these selfsame people would have problems. I fail to see the difference between lying about say horned helmets and making BS claims about fighting.

As for the "moderator status" well once upon a time Gathering Darkness had a difference focus. In one of my old jobs I used to fly down from Auckland to Wellington semi-regularly and run various WMA workshops; mostly with the old guard of Gathering Darkness. In those days I was given moderator status of this part seeing as I did the most work on WMA. Unfortunately being an agreeable bunch that we were meant very little got posted as it lacked controversy. Then one day the owners of Smartgroups decided to close down all the groups they hosted, which included the NAAMA one. It was suggested and then agreed that this place become the new host. Lots of things got added, but a lot was retained, like this sub-forum. Hence why I'm still a moderator. Personally I preferred the pre-NAAMA days here.

IOW your claims that I'm against "re-enactment" are plain wrong. I've even being thinking of doing 18th century re-enactment over the last couple of years. I do believe, and it is based on well-over ten years of observation that what a lot of people call medieval "re-enactment" is done extremely poorly. I will admit over the last few years there has been an overall improvement. Something to praise seeing the years of stagnation. Unfortunately there is still a long way to go. Being honest would also help.

Robbo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:51 pm      Reply with quote

For the love of the Gods, can people PLEASE stop talking to the nice fanatic. NOTHING you can say will sway him, dissuade him, not unless you are in complete agreement.

Dwarf, love ya bro, but seriously...you should've known better after my own recent experiences here. I intensely dislike arguing with Colin, and certainly have no intention of doing so, but he wrong...so there fore he must be right.

Look. The guy doesn't WANT to post here, he doesn't WANT to argue, debate, etc with us. I know because he says it every time he posts something here, to us.

Leave it alone, leave him alone or I'll be forced to use my favourite Sean Bean quote again!!!!11!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:53 pm      Reply with quote

Pee wee, I make no claims to expertise. I research, study and practice. I reflect alter and try again. I've put a lot of work, time and money into this. I've never assumed "expert" status. Maybe one day I'll have earned it, but not this day.

As for Bruce Lee. Strangely he learned martial arts first before changing what he learned. He also looked at other martial arts and integrated those into his new martial art (e.g. savate's coup de chasse). He didn't "make it up". Bruce Lee was against techniques based purely on tradition (as in this is the way it was always done). He is so misquoted it isn't funny.

As for more experience, well I look forward to it. Though as I recall, I was studying WMA long before you got into it (assuming you've ever bothered to look at it). You even once asked me to teach axe, for which my reply was I wasn't ready to teach axe. So I'm amused by your "tough talking" reply.

Robbo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:02 pm      Reply with quote

ROFLMAO.

This is getting hilarious.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:16 pm      Reply with quote

Ive decided to take the Elf's advice and im off the debate the finer points of toe nail pulling with a wall. Thaks for all the fish.

Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:18 pm      Reply with quote

Back to topic, for those who may have an interest.

This topic's already been debated into the ground. If anyone's really that worried, I suggest getting hold of Hadrian.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:23 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:

Ive decided to take the Elf's advice and im off the debate the finer points of toe nail pulling with a wall. Thaks for all the fish.

As am I, but in passing I would like to say the following...

Colin and Phil.

My post was a reflection of the consistent negativity that Colin appears to state whenever re-enactment is mentioned. I really don't mind who is a mod and who has done what or when, but as Colin called my event into question, I felt I ought to reply. For me, this is case closed.

Colin.

If your friends can't tell the diference between guys wearing nothing but their underwear and plastic helmets compared to the rest of us, perhaps you are setting them the wrong example.

Farewell

Nic

Last edited by Freebooter on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thaner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:24 pm      Reply with quote

look mum i'm on page 2!

but seriously for the love of the gods, they are never ever going to ban swords, nor will they never ever ban firearms for those who are fit to use them.

stupid scaremongers!

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: