Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Knife crime
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:03 am      Reply with quote

pmel018 wrote:
The is also a nasty PC element emerging with much reference to "knife crime" and other social ills.
Phil

well since all the zombies (criminals) have had thier guns taken away and are now forced to use knives, (Big ups to the anti gun league there Rolling Eyes) classes teaching knife skills would be frowned on in the vanguard nation of Political Correctness.

It looks like a great weekend though, you are going to have to come here and show us what you have learned one day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:21 am      Reply with quote

pmel018 wrote:
Hi Carl
not sure who told you the crims had lost their guns... More shootings every weekend, everything from WW1 Webley revolvers to MAC 10s. As for the knife crime "epidemic" well our Bowie instructor, John Lennox, lives in Detroit, he told us that they have more youn males killed in one weekend that in all of London for the whole year Shocked Shocked
The media has invented the epidemic and wastes no effort in keeping the profile high
This can be a very sad and sorry place to live day to day, but thigs like SWASH do make it bearable
Phil

Oh I heard somewhere that knife attacks were up 70% in britain, we seem to be suffering from the same thing here, the media is on a bit of a youth crime blitz right now, like kids commiting violent crimes is something new Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:48 am      Reply with quote

The report I saw said that the increase in Knife attacks was with young school age males as oposed to the usual stompings.

TTFN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:38 am      Reply with quote

Hi BigMac
the whole knife crime epidemic is a smoke screen for increasing loss of personal freedom, constant intrusive monitoring and stupid lawmaking.. Yes there are people being stabbed, beaten and shot in the UK, however the proportion of victims is very small in comparison to the total population. For example the population of London is around 7.5 million people, in 2007 there were 26 young people murdered, 16 stabbed, nine shot and 1 undetermined. Hardly an epidemic. On top of this is the fact that most of those killed were in some way involved in the gang and drug scene, so criminals killing other criminals. The press keeps VERY quite about the bakground of most of the victims, only printing the same old "he was a good boy" rubbish every time.
Whew sorry for the rant Mr. Green Mr. Green but it realy annoys me.
Will post some other Pictures soon
Phil
Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:38 am      Reply with quote

pmel018 wrote:
... the whole knife crime epidemic is a smoke screen for increasing loss of personal freedom, constant intrusive monitoring and stupid lawmaking... The press keeps VERY quite about the bakground of most of the victims, only printing the same old "he was a good boy" rubbish every time...

I think the truth is more insidious than a smoke screen. A smoke screen can be 'revealed' and people can realise they are being jerked around.

What we are dealing with is the news media trying to sell papers by sensationalizing a few violent acts with blades. Of course they ignore the backgrounds of the people involved; gang member gets stabbed doesn't make for good press (although - admittedly - I might enjoy reading it!).

People then respond to the reports in different ways. A common way is to call for more restrictions, monitoring and laws. At that stage, I'd happily believe that some people intentionally make use of the fear-mongoring too their own ends. The general problem, however, is the way the media makes its money and what it does to public information in the process.

pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:31 am      Reply with quote

Amen to that
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Phil
Carl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:33 pm      Reply with quote

whenever I hear ultra-conservative neocons talking about civilian disarmament I always ask myself "Why?"

Why are these people trying to take away my ability to defend myself and my family?

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:50 pm      Reply with quote

Carl wrote:
whenever I hear ultra-conservative neocons talking about civilian disarmament I always ask myself "Why?"

Why are these people trying to take away my ability to defend myself and my family?

For completely ludicrous reasons. They want the State to be the only ones allowed to use violence. As such, we must all aqueice.

Their concern (unfounded and paranoid as it is) is that if people who defend themselves are allowed to get away with it (hence the number of defenders who are prosecuted by the authorities for hurting the poor, wee crim), then they might be encouraged to take up vigilantism, and that might lead to gangs of vigilantes (that thing that all right-minded countries inthe past used to call "Citizen Militias"). They don't want that. So, the idea is to NOT allow you or me to defend ourselves, as that will mean we won't be encouraged to go out and do our civic duty...

OK, rant over.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:47 am      Reply with quote

Who watches the watchmen?

*runs*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:12 am      Reply with quote

Robbo wrote:
Who watches the watchmen?

Me.

At least I intend to on my next day off. I enjoyed the graphic novel and am keeping my fingers crossed for the film.

@phil Undetermined. WTF?

TTFN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:38 am      Reply with quote

Victorius wrote:

For completely ludicrous reasons. They want the State to be the only ones allowed to use violence. As such, we must all aqueice.

Their concern (unfounded and paranoid as it is) is that if people who defend themselves are allowed to get away with it (hence the number of defenders who are prosecuted by the authorities for hurting the poor, wee crim), then they might be encouraged to take up vigilantism, and that might lead to gangs of vigilantes (that thing that all right-minded countries inthe past used to call "Citizen Militias"). They don't want that. So, the idea is to NOT allow you or me to defend ourselves, as that will mean we won't be encouraged to go out and do our civic duty...

OK, rant over.

an unarmed cvilian population is easier to control; eg China

my question was rhetorical....Phil more piccys please

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:19 am      Reply with quote

I've moved the comments on knife crime (in Britain) here as they're not overly relevant to SWASH.

I'm going to implore participants to keep the comments civil as this type of topic can get quite emotive.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:11 am      Reply with quote

Hi Guys
my initial comments were in regard to what I observed at the Royal Armouries, and I wasn't alone it my distaste for what was on show in certain areas. Nevertheless I don't really want to encourage a discussion that can spiral out of control and move away from the WMA aspect. SWASH was great, the Royal Armouries are great, I will go next year; Very Happy Very Happy British Politicians and the Press are not great Sad Sad

Colin please lock the thread
Thanks
Phil
Carl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:40 am      Reply with quote

yes please lock the thread, it really was not my intention to hijack this thread and I humbly apolgise if that is what I unwittingly did, IMO this split is really unneccessary so please yes feel free to lock it or delete it your choice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:25 am      Reply with quote

I'm going to leave it open. It is possible for this discussion to drift onto something relevant to WMA. For example some people within savate circles in Paris back at the turn of the 19th/20th century altered that discipline to deal with the Apache gang (and yes, they named themselves after the North American Indian tribe). The subject of Le couteau would then be relevant under 'knife crime'. I even posted somewhere on GD a description of a knife duel between to Apache members. The survivor of which was before the courts.

Whether the (French) press 'hyped up' the situation I don't know, but certainly there was a response to it.

IOW it is possible that this thread is relevant. I just want people who participate in it to keep their emotions in check.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: