Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> NAAMA & General Discussion
Horse Meat - what would you do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Would you come to a feast that served horse meat as one of three meat choices?
Yes - I would come and I would eat it
78%
 78%  [ 36 ]
Yes - I would come but would not eat it
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
No - the thought of horse meat served puts me off entirely and would not come
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 46

adrianf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:49 pm      Reply with quote

huscarl wrote:
i got some good recipes for jerky ill dig em out for ya, kinda like the idea of horse jerky with a hint of chillie.

if you could post some in a seperate thread, i'ld like to see some recipies as well

it'll be good for camps etc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:26 pm     Horse meat - what would you do? Reply with quote

There was horse meat served at Wanganui NAAMA????? What night was that served?

I dont recall being told it was horse. l

Hasnt killed me yet.

I'm a fire engine.

Seriously though I tend to take a view of horse as a food of last resort.
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:22 pm     Don't you buy no glue yard horse Reply with quote

Kath queeried:-
Quote:
There was horse meat served at Wanganui NAAMA????? What night was that served?
I dont recall being told it was horse.

Was served to high table Saturday and Sunday Nights, and they passed it down the marquee when they had had sufficient (1" sauteed cubes with a range of sauces)
And the red meat served cold for lunch on both days was horse.
We tried to make sure that everybody knew.

Oh yeah and Dee cooked it on the Barbecue late sunday night.

Cheers
Bogue
paegynwaye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:51 pm      Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Yes, true Bogue, you wheeled up the bbq right behind me, and sizzle it went, and aromas that wafted, and Gods I must have been drunk! Almost wondered if in the morning bizarre little chunks wern't gone from Bud, and now I know theres a many a horse lover, by crikey, i wont be pissin any of you lot off .did make sense in the crusades to be eating a rich source of meat, when there probably wasnt alot else out there when under siege, makes sense to me..
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:14 am     Re: Horse meat - what would you do? Reply with quote

Kath wrote:
Seriously though I tend to take a view of horse as a food of last resort.

Yes I would be inclined to try some "long pig" first before I contemplated eating my own horses Very Happy .

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
griff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:21 am      Reply with quote

I think there are laws about eating long pork Callum!
But I do hear that the muscle piece by the thumb was quite prized, not sure why.
Robbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:12 am      Reply with quote

<image>

Several pirates on a wooden dock, asking a nice "black" Callum Forbes if he knows where to find Cpt. Jack Thunderbolt....instead, starts tlkaing about "delicious long pork".

</image>

Sorry...haven't seen PotC II for a while. Razz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:01 pm      Reply with quote

During the First Crusade in 1098-1099 it was at the seige of Manaan that an unfortunate secret was uncovered.

The Flemings, a group who travelled amongst the Normans and the Tafur, had recently converted from paganism.

They had remained relatively hale and hearty throughout the exertions and deprivation of that blessed armed pilgrimage. Alas it was discovered at Manaan that they had been concealing just such a culinary taboo.

After a stern sermon from the clergy they promised never to do it again and were absolved of their sins.

I have always been wary of folk named Fleming.
Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:46 pm      Reply with quote

The taboo against eating Horsemeat among the Saxons of Britain revolves around that animal being Sacred to the God Wodin/Odin/Wotan and therefore Stallions featuring in Heathen sacrifice. Remember Sleipnir, his 8 legged steed? Of course, after the Pagan ceremony, the noble animal would be cooked up and served as a feast to the Devotees.

So when Pope Gregory the Great ("not Angles, but Angels") sent Augustine to Kent to convert the benighted barbarians to the True Faith the concern grew that freshly baptised neophytes might be inadvertently guilty of Apostasy if they ate Horse. Hence the embargo.

Not a problem among the Franks in Gaul, because when Clodovech (Clovis) their King had annexed the rump late Gallo-Roman province under Syagrius of Soissins, on the Continent, he promptly converted to Catholicism. This was so he had leverage against his enemies the Visigoths of Aquitaine, who were heretical Arian Christians. Therefore Horsemeat in France didn't concern the Catholic Church too much.

Anyway, at least, that's my understanding. Nothing to do with being concerned about Trigger.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:05 pm     I didn't start the topic Reply with quote

Why is it when you type in "Butcher Carcass" into google the first things that come up is the "for want of a better term" butchering and boning of long pork.

cheers

Bogue
Kath

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:37 pm     Horse Meat Reply with quote

Right people, watch out for that Callum at camps if theres a bit of a food shortage! Shocked

Thanks to gtcm2 for a thought provoking and entertaining thread!
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:44 pm      Reply with quote

oh my god, I just googled long pig Shocked

Sorry not much "meat" as such on me, however there would be plenty of crackling....

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Robbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:57 pm      Reply with quote

Can't be too hard to stomach.

Most of us have eaten pork (and the flavours are remarkably similar apparently). I doubt there's many here who haven't tasted human blood before either.

*shrug*

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:21 pm      Reply with quote

mmmm, crackling so yummy! Nice to know our steeds are safe wyth the Order of the Boar, but thys talk of long pig is an irony Callum Laughing , and If any of us wake up wyth our fleshy thumb webs missing we'll turn to Griff, and wonder what he's chewing on smiling deviously in the Norse camp, roasting chunks of horse wyth heathen sauce...
Chevalier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:25 pm      Reply with quote

This thread is creeping me out Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: