Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> NAAMA & General Discussion
Horse Meat - what would you do?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Would you come to a feast that served horse meat as one of three meat choices?
Yes - I would come and I would eat it
78%
 78%  [ 36 ]
Yes - I would come but would not eat it
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
No - the thought of horse meat served puts me off entirely and would not come
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 46

gt1cm2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:48 am     Horse Meat - what would you do? Reply with quote

Scenario - you have been invited to a medieval feast, one of the courses serves a range of meat, beef/lamb, venison and horse meat. Would you still come to the feast knowing there is horse meat being served?

I am interested in knowning how the general public of NAAMA feel about this, I am not wanting to go into moral reasons for not serving it as everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and feelings on the matter and I don't want this to turn into a slagging fest.

Poll will be open for 7 days

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
griff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:30 am      Reply with quote

id be there
itrs a lovely meat if they dont wont to eat it great more for me.
if fact i would give most meat a try cat, dog,rat,
but i must stress the word meat red or white but it must be meat and not offal, not to keen on bugs and things though.
we actually served some up at a feast we held many years back and it went down quite well with the guests
so thats a yes from me
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:40 am      Reply with quote

I had some horse salami in Sweden and it was no different from any other salami. I generally wouldn't eat horse meat as it's pretty close to cannibalism for me Very Happy but when you go overseas you have to try new things.

I certainly wouldn't not go to an event just because it served horse meat though.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:14 am      Reply with quote

the French eat it now, no problem .At one time quite large numbers of horses were processed in Southland specifically for the French market.
I would happily eat it
Phil
paegynwaye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:00 pm      Reply with quote

Horse meat was served at Wanganui Naama, I tried it as how could a supposed horse warrior not have tasted there life source, yet Im wyth Callum on thys one, wouldnt do it again, as they really are my family.... must admit it was very rich, bit like venison, and not an ounce of fat on it, we styll do have a horse meat market in NZ{export}, and I know of a gentleman in Palmerston North who breeds Quarter horses, and often puts one in his freezer.... I would go to a camp wyth it being served, but have the choice of free will to decline, and certainly wouldnt hold anythyng against those that did eat it, the horse throughout history has saved the people in more ways then one....
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:24 pm      Reply with quote

pmel018 wrote:
the French eat it now, no problem .At one time quite large numbers of horses were processed in Southland specifically for the French market.
I would happily eat it
Phil

That'll be Clover Export, one of our clients rung them earlier this week and found out that all their meat is for export, none is for the NZ market. I'm pretty sure also that they are the plant that grow their own horses for the sole purpose of meat, whilst also taking on the others.

I'm of the same mind as Dee and Callum, except I won't even try it. Yes I own horses but that's not my reason why, I'm just not adventurous with meat, I won't even eat venison because to cook it right it needs to have some pinkness in it and I can't do that. Everything must be cooked crispy Laughing

Rebecca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:41 pm     Meat Reply with quote

Yes I would eat the horse meat!
Robbo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:56 pm      Reply with quote

eat it?

Hel, I want to prepare it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:27 pm      Reply with quote

a good receipe is take your chuck of meat isert three or four cloves of garlic. place in an oven bag with a good hand full of brown sugar drizel some oil in bag, tie, shake, bake until done.
cook it at the same temp you would do a leg of lamb 160/80 for about and hour and a bit.
Quote " I won't even eat venison because to cook it right it needs to have some pinkness in it and I can't do that. Everything must be cooked crispy "

i ordered a venison burger from burger wisconson once the cook asked me how i wanted my venison done? me being the uncouth that i am said well done please ,he threw my money back at me turned his back and said medium or rare those are your two choices. i had it medium and there was no pinkeness and it was beauty.
also tryed to buy some from a company called A/C pet foods who do export horse meat for human consuption but after several emails and being put on hold i gave up.
if there is anyone who knows of someone willing to sell/ trade 10 or 15 kgs then i could be interested let me know please. [/quote]
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:32 pm      Reply with quote

I've been thru AC Petfoods, from what they told me they don't do horse meat for humans but then at the time I only wanted horse legs for dissections anyway so wasn't paying that much attention.

Will PM you a place in Akl that you can apparently buy some from.

Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:44 pm     "No little Kids pony will be safe" Reply with quote

Horse was served at Wanganui 2006.
It was served as a cold sliced lunch meat and served at the high table on Saturday and Sunday nights as well as the late Sunday barbecue.

What was served was EU quality NZ export chevalle Rump.
It was sourced from Alpine meats. They have an abbatoir at Waitoa and a bonded export warehouse in Tauranga.
This one company alone exports around 1-2 20ft shipping containers to Belgium every month.
A rich and fine grained fat free meat and very reasonably priced.

The subject line in this post is a direct quote from a now deceased mate in the 'Naki having just tried horse.

cheers
Bogue
Ryu_Soma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:34 pm      Reply with quote

It wouldnt stop me coming to an event - but i wouldnt try it - i have worked at a meat works and that alone has had an affect on my meat eating habbits!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:46 pm      Reply with quote

if its meat and your hungry, you'll eat. Hell I 'd eat it, like as one o the others said 'he'd eat any meat served' as would I, but not so much man, unless she was very tasty and was served up with croutons..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:45 pm      Reply with quote

It won the Wildfoods comp a few years ago. There's an outlet somewhere here in Auckland selling it (i'm told). Can have a look if you want.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:20 pm      Reply with quote

I would eat it, curious to try it one day, just as long as I didn't know the horse in life.
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: