Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> NAAMA & General Discussion
Horse Meat - what would you do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Would you come to a feast that served horse meat as one of three meat choices?
Yes - I would come and I would eat it
78%
 78%  [ 36 ]
Yes - I would come but would not eat it
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
No - the thought of horse meat served puts me off entirely and would not come
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 46

Thaner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:31 pm      Reply with quote

i've tried it, in Hamilton, for the monteiths wild food festival, it was a nationally pushed restaurant competition, they were encouraged to enter two dishes, a restaurant in Hamilton (cant remember the name) had horse fillet on the menu, was yum..

the resturant i worked for (goana bar then renamed bull and gate) did a quail dish, and emu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:34 pm      Reply with quote

i would rather eat horse that was responsibly and humanely slaughtered, i've seen first hand what the NZ Army does to horses in waiouru during cull off....great moving targets. but i digress

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:44 pm     A horse, a horse, a barbie for the horse. Reply with quote

Thaner offered this:-
Quote:
i've tried it, in Hamilton, for the monteiths wild food festival, it was a nationally pushed restaurant competition, they were encouraged to enter two dishes, a restaurant in Hamilton (cant remember the name) had horse fillet on the menu, was yum...

The Hamilton resturant was called "Canvas" and they were serving horse fillet with a pomegranite (I think) sauce. The owner said the best part was watching the first mouthful going in and the change on peoples faces as they realised it was really good.

cheers
Bogue
quentin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:50 pm      Reply with quote

Whats so special about horse that we are having this conversation?

It's tasty and many of us would mistake it for (marrinated) beef if we weren't told.
Thaner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:02 pm      Reply with quote

thats the one, and thats the sauce!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:14 pm      Reply with quote

quentin wrote:
Whats so special about horse that we are having this conversation?

It's tasty and many of us would mistake it for (marrinated) beef if we weren't told.

refer to my original post, but as a mod you should be able to find out Wink

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
huscarl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:29 pm      Reply with quote

Meat meat meat,

had it loved it.

Griff cooked it up for us at a norsemen feast some years ago melted in the mouth would have it any time...... often pondered knocking off my sisters nack so i can suply griff with more for him to cook me.

might be an idea for the BC feast Hmmmm ......... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:45 am      Reply with quote

Habe to agree with Griff on another point:

Keen to try dog, cat and damn near anything else as well. If I can eat brussell sprouts, I can eat rat.

On that note, however, got me some loverly recipes for dog, cat, horse....blah, blah, blah...for animals dating 11th century back in the Norse lands.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:11 am      Reply with quote

Robbo wrote:
Keen to try dog, cat and damn near anything else as well. If I can eat brussell sprouts, I can eat rat.

Cat is very stringy and watery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:18 pm      Reply with quote

As a meat horse is no different to cow and it's widely eaten in France etc. Does anyone know why it has become taboo in English influenced cultures?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:20 am      Reply with quote

Gaius Drustanus wrote:
As a meat horse is no different to cow and it's widely eaten in France etc. Does anyone know why it has become taboo in English influenced cultures?

Proberly because some king had a special relationship with his horse or made one a noble or a bishop or something similer.

TTFN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:32 am      Reply with quote

Ah! The Caligula/Incitatus explanation!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:43 am      Reply with quote

I don't think it is necessarily taboo in English-influenced cultures. Rather because beef and sheep meat is more readily available (and is better eating Very Happy) than in other cultures, we don't have the need to eat the more exotic meats.

Plus a lot of other cultures have a more pragmatic attitude towards animals than we do as for them they are essential tools for survival. A mate of mine just back from Afganistan says the Afghani attitude towards horses and other animals is totally different from ours.

Because horses are no longer a means of survival in our culture means that they have become more of a luxury item for those who want them and are seen now as more of a pet than a tool. Hence the reluctance by many to eat them.

As for the French, well they have always been hard to understand anyway Very Happy

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Oskar der Drachen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:31 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
Gaius Drustanus - As a meat horse is no different to cow and it's widely eaten in France etc. Does anyone know why it has become taboo in English influenced cultures?

Three things I see

1 - These things become (as said before) both Luxury and Status symbols, hence not food. Interestingly, perspective/philosophy wise, Dogs are increasingly Chinese status symbols, but are entirely disposable. The latest dog fashion is the one you have, but when the fashion changes, out with the old and in with the new!

2 - Cute/Pretty is not food! Ask any Westernised child, ducklings, chicks, calves, and lambs are not food, that would be CROOOOL! The are not afraid to plow into a hamburger, chops, or battered & fried anything though. Blame Disney for that one.

3 - Basic disconnect as to the connection between animals and food. Animals ARE food, but that is becoming increasingly blurred I feel. Especially as a lot of the animal produce doesn't LOOK like animal produce anymore.

Gordon Ramsey's shows are good in this I think, as he is also realistic about showing the animal to food cycle to the point of raising them as a part of the program as an integral step.

Some of the things going on are interesting here too. Jamie Oliver is a Crusader against cruelty, but he is realistic about the animal/food connection. He is unrealistic about the economics of production though. People have to buy value for money, bottom line calculations not ethics.

Fuzzy thinking and Activism in the Vegetarian/Vegan/PETA movements are becoming increasingly unrealistic as to this connection, and their influences on the media are muddying the water too.

"Don't eat anything with a Face" is a popular catch-phrase. Horses have faces that you see quite often. The general public don't have the opportunity to look at a sheep, cow or chicken in the face very often.
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:56 pm      Reply with quote

I think for me, horses are seen as a companion not as a pet. They are a sporting partner, way of travel, machinery (think ploughing) etc. By simply riding them you are trusting them with your life. I've have them since I was nine and yes like most female teenagers I went thru a stage of saying its not right to slaughter horses for food, be it for human or animals. But after maturing and reading both side of the argument I can see why we have to have it. One its the circle of life but two, the racing industry provides more horses than we can support or find homes for, I personally would much rather see them sent off to slaughter than starving to death in a paddock for the sake of being kept alive. We're lucky that our boy was re homed rather than sent on the DT (dog tucker) truck because he had torn his hock and I can bet the stables spent a small fortune getting him repaired, a lot of the smaller yards would have DT him, fortunately for him he had won them enough money to not do that I guess.
did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: