Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Fiore Longsword Training in Upper Hutt.

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:31 am     Fiore Longsword Training in Upper Hutt. Reply with quote

Some of you already know that the Upper Hutt School of European Martial Arts (the foot combat training arm of the Order of the Boar) is holding a monthly class dedicated to Fiore's sword techniques.

The purpose of these classes is to get a pool of people competent in "long sword" combat to compete in formal "long sword" challenge alongside the sword and buckler ("swashbuckler") challenge that we established in late 2007. We intend to add the "long sword" challenge from next Summer onwards - e.g. at the annual "challenge" for the local WMA groups as well as for Harcourt Park 2011. If you saw the 'Swashbuckler' tourney at Harcourt Park this year you will know what I mean.

The monthly class will be held on the first Saturday of every month (unless I advise otherwise) from 11.30 AM to 1 PM at the Upper Hutt Martial Arts Academy (Unit 2, 18 - 22 Queen Street, Upper Hutt - access via Lyster Lane). The first class is scheduled for this Saturday (March 7th).

These are not medieval re-enactment classes so you do not need to bring medieval costume or kit other than flat soled footwear. We train and drill with wooden wasters (for those who don't have a wooden waster I will have some on hand for people to use and if you decide to continue then I can order one for you). You may train in loose sports gear but I recommend that you bring a pair of gloves. When we are ready to start sparring then a gambeson and fencing mask (we have some spare fencing masks) will be required.

For public displays and tournaments, steel weapons and a historically accurate harness including period footwear will be required for those of you who wish to take part in them.

For existing members of UHSEMA there is no charge for this class as it is part of your monthly training fee. For other people who just want to attend our longsword class once a month you are more than welcome and the cost per class is $10. After the first month, there will be an additional $5 hireage fee for a waster if you don't have your own.

The class structure will be:

Warm-Up - approx 15 minutes.
Footwork and basic strikes - approx 20 - 30 minutes
Sword in "two hands" - approx 20 - 30 minutes
Sparring - approx 20 - 30 minutes.
Debrief and Questions - approx 5 to 15 minutes.

Colin McKinstry will be assisting me in running this class - in particular with the strikes and mechanics of the system which allows me to focus on some of the safer "sword in two hands" material.

Obviously early on we will be spending the maximum times allocated on the basics of footwork, strikes, counter-strikes and "sword in two hands" before moving into sparring. As people start to become competent in the material being taught then we will spend less time on the basics and more time on sparring.

There will also be a change to the basic structure of the regular UHSEMA classes to include revision of the material taught in the monthly "long sword" classes.

Anyway, if you are interested in attending the monthly "long sword" class can you let me know and I look forward to seeing you this Saturday.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:21 pm      Reply with quote

Just to remind everybody, April's monthly dedicated Fiore Longsword classs is on this coming Saturday (4th).

Cost for non-UHSEMA members is $10. Wooden waster hire is $5.

gt1cm2

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:45 am      Reply with quote

Hi Callum, are you doing your Fiore Longsword class this weekend? I think Grayson was planning on attending...
did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Colin

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:43 am      Reply with quote

Not wanting to put words into Callum's mouth, but the answer is yes.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:38 pm      Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
Not wanting to put words into Callum's mouth, but the answer is yes.

Hi everybody,

Yes I am. I sent an email out earlier today which eveybody should have received. I am sorry that I was a bit late in sending this reminder out, but I've been flat out trying to catch up with things since getting back from Lithgow.

A lot of interest internationally in my proposed new format for our future tournaments so the longsword training becomes even more relevant and so is gathering momentum!

gt1cm2

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:56 pm      Reply with quote

excellent, just thought I'd check as we didn't know if it was still going ahead with you getting back from oz.
did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:47 pm      Reply with quote

Just to remind people that our monthly class dedicated to Fiore longswod is on again this Saturday (6th June).

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:21 pm      Reply with quote

August's monthly class is this Saturday (August 1st).

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:35 pm      Reply with quote

September's dedicated Longsword class is this Saturday (September 5th).

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:44 am      Reply with quote

This month's class is scheduled for this Saturday (October 3rd) at the Upper Hutt Martial Arts Academy.

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:21 pm      Reply with quote

November's class is this Saturday, Nov 7th. from 11.30 AM to 1 PM at the Upper Hutt Martial Arts Academy.

Anybody who is in the area and who wants to brush up on their longsword skills for the Taupo Tournament is welcome (note class fee is $10).

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: