Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Crossbow Bolts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Lezle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:04 am      Reply with quote

Being new to all this I don't know what either of those words refer to. Laughing

-LP
pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:00 am      Reply with quote

Hi Lezle
he is talking about the profile of the arrowshaft. It is possible to alter the performance of an arrow by changing the cross sectional diameter at various points on the shafts length. According to my bow maker it doesn't work well on the short crossbow bolt.

BTW thats a really nice job on the crossbow, where did you source the bow itself??? I remember helping the late Steve H to make several light crossbows on the same pattern, AS+S used them in their crossbow range. The bow was made from a fiberglass sail batten.
pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:16 am      Reply with quote

Bogue
here is a few more pictures. The bolt is authentic, hand forged head, rawhide fights and riveted together

Close up of goats foot lever

About to span the bow

Another look

A bolt

Closeup of bolt head

Hope this helps
Phil
Lezle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:38 pm      Reply with quote

Gidday.

Thank you very much. Very Happy I am rather proud of it myself. Cool

That looks great!

How accurate is it?

The bow is made by Buffalo River. It was $30. 120lb. At Advanced Archery they had a Bennett 150lb. bow for $250. Just a bit of a difference. Haha.

I was thinking about making a steel bow, or buying one form the internet of course; part of why I decided on such a low poundage, aside from the fact that the bow was cheap and if I buggered it up it wasn't going to be the end of the world, was the fact that I wanted to be able to shoot it on my lawn! Medieval I also wanted, as you can see, to make a very early form of crossbow. It has an accurate shooting range, without much trajectory, of about 50-60 feet. It can go a lot further, but as I say, my lawn isn't that big. Laughing

Thanks.

-Lezle
Lezle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:13 am     Finished Crossbow Reply with quote

Righto.

Here is the final product; I finished it a few weeks ago.

I made a few alterations to the way the bolt rests: less friction. Made a new string, blued the metal and made the pom poms for decoration. Very Happy

Jolly good.

-Lezle

Crossbow..JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.51 KB
 Viewed:  20649 Time(s)

Crossbow..JPG

Lezle

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:30 pm     Quiver! Reply with quote

What-ho!

Quiver and my neighbours cat, Smokey, helping. Very Happy Took about seven and a half hours to make.

C&C welcome.

LP

sm2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.77 KB
 Viewed:  20611 Time(s)

sm2.JPG

Sm1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.2 KB

Sm1.JPG

q2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.76 KB

q2.JPG

q1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.42 KB

q1.JPG

NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:25 pm      Reply with quote

Very nice work. Is the quiver based on a find specifically? I like the bold spacers - good idea.
Lezle

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:29 pm      Reply with quote

Gidday,

Thanks, glad you like it. Very Happy

No, not really a specific find; I look'd at a large variety of paintings and did a bit of reading for inspiration and then just did what I thought would work best. And it works very well.

The spacers work really well. You can fit two bolts in each space at a pinch, but you have to be careful with the bolt feathers. They tend to catch on the rods when you are inserting them. I haven't seen any others with this sort of arrangement - I thought it was a good idea too. Very Happy Cool

Lezle
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:05 pm      Reply with quote

Certainly there are documented cases where arrow quivers used arrow spacers (I'm thinking the Mary Rose finds), so it stands to reason they would do something similar for crossbows.
Lezle

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:38 pm      Reply with quote

Ah, yes of course! I have seen those. Where though had been nagging at me. Always good to know one isn't re-inventing the wheel. Laughing

LP
pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:43 pm      Reply with quote

Wow, that cat made a really nice quiver Mr. Green Mr. Green What happened to the tail Laughing Laughing Laughing
Seriously though.....nice work Very Happy
Phil
Lezle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:38 pm     English Windlass Power! Reply with quote

What-ho!

I've been getting a lot of emails of late inquiring as to what I've been building these past couple of months... and I have to say, with-out sounding pompous or anything like that, that I've been quite surpris'd at how many people are taking an interest in my happy projects. Embarassed Wink So, jolly good and thanks very much!

Here is my latest project:

English Windlass!

Questions are most welcome if anyone has any. Very Happy

Lezle

Windlass.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.44 KB
 Viewed:  20529 Time(s)

Windlass.JPG

Windlass2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  46.39 KB
 Viewed:  20529 Time(s)

Windlass2.JPG

Black Jack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:48 pm      Reply with quote

Very nice Lez. You'll need it when you fit your truck spring bow!

JohnDoes it work OK with one handle? I thought they usually had two. Or was that just the de luxe models?!
Lezle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:57 pm      Reply with quote

Thanks John. Very Happy

Yes, they do normally seem to have two; like a bicycle mov'd by hand.

Because I can't cast anything and I didn't know if I could actually make one in the first place, I thought the easiest method would be the best. I tried for about three weeks almost everyday to make a two handled one that wouldn't require welding at any point... as you can see I fail'd. However! I completely abandon'd the idea when I stumbl'd upon this picture:

http://www.middle-ages.org.uk/images/crossbow-and-halberd.jpg

One handed!
Shocked

Thanks.

Lezle
Lezle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:43 pm     New Crossbow! Reply with quote

Gidday,

Below is my new crossbow I have made; I finish'd it a couple of weeks ago. I have been tweeking it ever since. I am now happy enough with it to share it with you all. Very Happy

It has a 420lb bow; due to the "perfect length" of the tiller (stock), I can pull it by hand with a bit of effort... well actually a lot of effort. Laughing

The tiller is made of ash. The rope binding is Tarred Marlin, the worlds most repulsive rope.

At a 45 degree trajectory it can propel a light weight bolt (one and a quarter ounce) just over the length of a rugby field. Medieval Very Happy

Unlike the first crossbow I made I managed to complete the weapon, excluding the five days staining and danish oiling, in just over three weeks! The fiddling has taken a couple as I mentioned above.

Thanks to John (Black Jack) for letting me use his band saw. Very Happy

Comments and all tha jazz welcome.

Lezle

Behold!

Crossbow.JPG
 Description:
The trigger mechanizim is a mongrel to make... I made the separate pieces over several days... one whole day to put to-gether.
 Filesize:  57.45 KB
 Viewed:  20473 Time(s)

Crossbow.JPG

Crossbow2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.23 KB
 Viewed:  20473 Time(s)

Crossbow2.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: