Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Crossbow Bolts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Lezle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:37 pm     Crossbow Bolts Reply with quote

Gidday.

After reading Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey's book and talking to a chap, Nathan, at Taupo, I decided to make my own crossbow. If I knew how to put pictures up I would put one up, but I don't so this will have to do for the moment; it looks very much similar to this:

http://www.crossbowbook.com/page_59.html

It has a 120 lb. bow.

I now however have found that bolts are a bit of a different story. I have made several test bolts out of Rimu. The problem I have found is that getting period looking heads to fit half inch thick bolts is rather hard; I have glued, nailed, all sorts of things, but alas although the bolt will fly straight and true the pulling of the bolt out of the target rips the head off every time.

So here is my question: Does anyone make period looking "real" (as opposed to combat as I believe they are called) looking bolts? Is there a great retailer overseas that could be recommended? Target or broadhead doesn't matter. Basically all I need are arrow heads that are large enough in diameter (1/2 inch) that look good and that won't come off. Very Happy

Jolly good.

-Lezle
Nathan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:41 pm      Reply with quote

Welcome to the dark side - bugger the crooked stick bunch.

If you can get hold of Paul from TMS you might have some luck. Paul has made a number of Crossbows and he was saying that he may be making some period bolt heads. Best bet is get his details from Darryl (Fungus).

Nathan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:50 pm      Reply with quote

Great. Thanks very much.

-Lezle Very Happy
pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:48 am      Reply with quote

What are you using as a target??? I just picked up a 275ib crossbow from my old mate Tod. After a lesson in using the goats foot lever, we had a little practice in about a foot of snow Shocked Shocked . His target was a large "round" of plaited straw. It was no problem to remove either the period bolts or the practice one from the target, remember to twist before pulling.
Picture of my bow, the one in the foreground

Phil
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:35 am     Of Bolts and crossbows and strings Reply with quote

Hey Phil,

Show us ya goats foot

Cheers
Bogue
pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:33 am      Reply with quote

Hi Bogue
I'm away to SWASH in a wee while, can post a picture or two when I get back(Monday)
Phil

Last edited by pmel018 on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Lezle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:42 am      Reply with quote

Gidday.

Here are some pictures. I am not quite finished the trigger. I will probably paint it. Smile

Yes, I should have been a bit clearer; I got some broadhead arrow heads from Advanced Archery as they were the only place that I could find that had heads for sale. The heads I bought are for 1/4 inch arrows. I therefore had to try and meld them to a 1/2 inch bolt. As I have already described, it didn't quite work as planned. Crying or Very sad Never to mind.

Those are fantastic crossbows. Shocked
I, at present, am using a boogie board for a target. Not the best I know, but I had to test on something. Haha.

Thanks.

-Lezle

front.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.79 KB
 Viewed:  23967 Time(s)

front.JPG

side.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.54 KB
 Viewed:  23967 Time(s)

side.JPG

Ben

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:48 am      Reply with quote

Try http://www.nzap.co.nz/comp_points_nocks.php#Points - they have points in various sizes although they are all a bit smaller than you are after
Lezle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:53 pm      Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I toodled down to Advanced Archery again and got some target heads. They seem to do the job. Very Happy So...

Behold! Test bolts. Vivid is for scale. Broadhead I was using. Leather flights on the top one. Medieval

-Lezle

ha.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.17 KB
 Viewed:  23954 Time(s)

ha.JPG

Frosty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:24 pm      Reply with quote

i can get half inch bodkin arrow heads...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:51 am      Reply with quote

Frosty wrote:
i can get half inch bodkin arrow heads...

Yeah? What sort of cost are we talking here?
Frosty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:24 am      Reply with quote

i think it worked out at 3 dollars a piece?
ill check on it again and let you know.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:06 pm      Reply with quote

I would be interested in some of those. Very Happy

-Lezle
quentin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:59 pm     1/2' cross bow heads Reply with quote

Yeah I'll have a few too !

Q
Frosty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:30 pm      Reply with quote

as long as you agree to put a few through my sheild...maybe while im holding it...

which brings me to another question... do you guys bobtail your bolts or are they parallel?
or is there another way you shape them...?

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: