Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Tinker Swords
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Gerard Kraay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:55 pm     Tinker Swords Reply with quote

Hey all. Has anyone bought or handled any of the Tinker swords as yet from Casiberia, they look very good.
Medieval - http://www.casiberia.com/productsearch.asp?subsubcat2=yes&cat=Swords%20and%20Daggers&subcat=Western&subsubcat=Medieval&cat2=Tinker
Viking – http://www.casiberia.com/productsearch.asp?subsubcat2=yes&cat=Swords%20and%20Daggers&subcat=Western&subsubcat=Viking&cat2=Tinker

I need more swords……..don’t tell the wife.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:36 pm      Reply with quote

Hayden (wargod) had one of the Longswords at Taupo.

In my opinion it was nicely balanced but stupidly wippy (Hadyen said that it is due to being made for the Septics).

Give him a bell, I'm sure that he'll have more.

Nathan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:54 pm      Reply with quote

I had a look at them and yes the foible was very thin and whippy, the forte was fine but once you got up to about the C.O.P the edge was dangerously thin.

the balace and wieght really has to be felt to be believed.

Nathan who are the Septics? or did you mean Sceptics and do a stephan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:15 pm      Reply with quote

Septic Tanks = Yanks, duh

For some reason they want wippy blades, one of the reasons that the Gen 4 Practical hand and a half is also very wippy. Think wide blade kniting needle, I mean Rapier.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:16 pm      Reply with quote

http://www.tinkerswords.com/Page2.html
info about Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
CAS has commissioned Michael ‘Tinker’ Pearce to design a line of swords that will satisfy both the sparring and cutting needs of Western Martial Arts practitioners. Matching sharp and blunt versions of each sword in the series offer the same outstanding handling characteristics in both disciplines. The swords meet Tinker`s exacting quality requirements and are built in much the same way as his custom pieces. Each blade is forged from 5160 Spring Steel, Marquenched to the desired hardness of 50-53 Hrc while the tang is drawn back to the low 30s Hrc. For the Medieval models the very end of the tang is threaded to fit a 5mm allen nut recessed into the pommel which allows for dismantling of the hilt assembly for inspection, to exchange blades if needed, and for anyone wanting to easily customize their grip. Also the Sharp and Blunt blades are interchangeable on all Medieval models. The Viking Sword sharps and blunts are peened for historical authenticity and to meet the needs of collector and reenactment groups. The grips are cord wrapped and leather covered wood and tapered for a comfortable grip. Each sword is supplied with a leather covered wood scabbard with metal throat and chape.
http://www.casiberia.com/art_tinker.asp

I hope this helps
They are good swords but they are expensive $626 mainly cos our dollar is crap at the moment .....other swords of this like go from $240 to 300 we are talking deepeeka and the viking CAS items

tink_viking-Blunt-Full.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  118.68 KB
 Viewed:  25980 Time(s)

tink_viking-Blunt-Full.jpg

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:26 pm      Reply with quote

In our sport the sword is a consumable.

Yes?
Carl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:42 pm      Reply with quote

Nathan wrote:
Septic Tanks = Yanks, duh

Oh yeah sorry how could i miss that one.

(I really need that little icon thing of a smiliey bashing his head against a wall, because sometimes words are not enough)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:53 pm      Reply with quote

conal wrote:
In our sport the sword is a consumable.

Yes?

Yes..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:21 am      Reply with quote

Carl wrote:
(I really need that little icon thing of a smiliey bashing his head against a wall, because sometimes words are not enough)

Attached.

Hope we can work this one in. I could use it too.

Nic

banghead.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  904 Bytes
 Viewed:  25898 Time(s)

banghead.gif

Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:26 am      Reply with quote

Regarding the swords, I have to say I feel them to be too light for me.

Historical swords do have a bit more meat behind them.

Particularly I'm offended by the soft temper and whippy blade in a short weapon. It's a good example - as far as I am concerned - of craft over art.
The craft is superb - making a sword that is this light and flexible, but the historical art, both in the construction and use of the sword has been left behind.
Viking swords weren't made to do flick-hits.

N
Robbo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:28 am      Reply with quote

Freebooter wrote:

N

*chokes on morning coffee at the very thought*

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:08 pm      Reply with quote

Freebooter wrote:

Particularly I'm offended by the soft temper and whippy blade in a short weapon. It's a good example - as far as I am concerned - of craft over art.
The craft is superb - making a sword that is this light and flexible, but the historical art, both in the construction and use of the sword has been left behind.

N

I'll say. My re-enactment one really had a tendency to want to do powered strikes only, I don't think flicky-hits were in its programming. Pity it broke...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:25 am      Reply with quote

Freebooter wrote:

N

Hmmmm.. not sure that historical swords have any more meat to them. I had a look in "Swords of the Viking Age" but unfortuately there are no weights given, the Wallace Collection Catalogues do have weights however.
A brief look through . Single handed swords
Item A456, Scandinavian 9th or 10th C, weight 2.8 lb (1.14 kg)
Item A460, French 1375-1400, weight 3lb (1.36kg)
Item A466, Italian c1400, weight 2.15 lb( 1.34 kg)

Not very heavy really, the biggest single sword catalogued is 3.2lb(1.4 kg)
It really is a mistake to compare the swords used in re-enactment with the actual weapons, they need to different things succesfully.
I had the chance to see and hold a couple of the Tinker Longswords at SWASH last weekend and I thought them way too whippy, the owners were quite happy with them as entry level equipment for WMA. When compared to the Albion swords the differences become blindingly obvious, as does the price. For all their faults Hanwei have been quite responsive to criticism of their training weapons and have made considerable advances over the last few years, hopefully the Tinker line will evolve in a similar fashion.
Phil
Freebooter
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:21 am      Reply with quote

Phil,

You've made my point.

It is the balance and feel of the weapon that counts. As you state, too whippy. The blades in question need a certain rigidity and positive balancing to feel right in the hand. These don't. Nor, for my money do many other repros, most coming down heavily on the other side of the coin.

These are more like the electric foils of re-enactment than an acurate reproduction of an historical weapon.

Nic
Mad Jim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:59 pm      Reply with quote

ok looking at the tinker swords, longsword, they look cool, but as you guys have said wippy!, though what I am looking out for is a good decint not to expensive longsword, so I can, well do longsword sparring, though not one of the fechterschwerts with the ugly narrow blade! any help, or is it I tinker?
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: