Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Proposition for a grade system in NAAMA combat.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:27 pm     Proposition for a grade system in NAAMA combat. Reply with quote

A. Standard NAAMA combat.
B. Best Blow landed. (Dragon Standard)
C. Combat Archery (Gathering Spec)
D. Dreadnaught Grade.
Chevalier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:29 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
Dreadnaught Grade

I thought this was a Star Wars spaceship classification system?
BigMac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:51 pm      Reply with quote

Geek moment

The NCC-1701 Enterprise was a Constitution class Dreadnought

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:33 pm      Reply with quote

BigMac wrote:
Geek moment

Actually, I think she was a Heavy Cruiser, not a Dreadnought. Dreadnoughts were far more ugly.

That said - we're kind of off topic here.... but that's is fairly normal Smile

What exactly would you classify as dreadnought combat?

Alan.
BigMac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:10 pm      Reply with quote

Sledge hammers at 3 paces Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:17 am      Reply with quote

The HMS Dreadnought was a steam ironcald warship launched in 1906 that went on to found a whole class of big gun battleships. They were mostly used in WW1. But I think 'fear no thing' is a good name for that classification of swordplay too.
-Patch

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/HMS_Dreadnought_1906_H61017.jpg
Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:42 am      Reply with quote

Here is something to try. Put on your heavest armour and shields.
The whole body is a target ( apart from the hands and head ).
Fight to contact with strong blows. If the opponent does not take your first hit, assume he has not felt it. Accordingly your second blow will be stronger until he does feel it and falls over.
Shields can be hit as hard as you like, as they do not count.
This technique leads to slower more measured combat, and is far more realistic.
It forces more active and aggressive use of the shield and causes the warriors to circle and perform better.
It is also what we teach to stunt performers in the film industry during "fight schools".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:35 pm      Reply with quote

The original ST Federation Dreadnaught class was not really any different from the heavy cruiser design except being bigger and with a third engine nacelle. Then it got even bigger and more bulldog-like, but with faster looking engines.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/92/239378590_4c0dfa6e38.jpg?v=0

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/CanisD/Shipyard/Drawings/ST/DreadnughtClassDesignEvolution.png

I remember a later one that you see being constructed in the hanger in the movies is much sexier was referred to as the Excelsior Dreadnaught, but I think it was actually an Enterprise B heavy cruiser. Still that was one of the hottest looking ships that they did with an elongated waspish body and very stylish design features, also it’s saucer section is still a saucer, and presumably can detach and zoom about the way saucers should, before they went to those ridiculous lopsided things in the next generation.

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f252/CanisD/Shipyard/Drawings/ST/EXCELSIOR.png

Quote:
BigMac wrote:
Geek moment

Actually, I think she was a Heavy Cruiser, not a Dreadnought. Dreadnoughts were far more ugly.
stephan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:13 pm      Reply with quote

the hit them harder combat system is fun but has a few flaws

the biggie is when does it stop

as "nope sorry didnt feel it" can mean any thing
while i agree that decent blow combat is best {such is becoming norm at clontarf as a example}

i think the sca have had a few problems at tourneys with rinos and breastplates beng dented and people saying nope didnt feel that one

rember we waer armour so we can hit each other
in reality armour was worn so you protected your self

i dont care if your super man if your arms off your pretty screwed
but nope didnt feel that has a certian black kight feel to it

ere your arms off
no it isnt
yes it is
oh that, its just a flesh wound
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:04 pm      Reply with quote

While Stephan is right in essence theer is such a concept as "Spirit of the Game" and while Rhino-ing, is a very real possibility you need to remember that it is Cheating in a very subtle and real fashion.

And that is what the Marshalls are for, and if there are no marshalls around to catch said Cheating, then respectfully and gracefully retire and excuse yourself from the combat; we are not forced to fight after all, and it is better to have some pillock call you a pussy than to cause an injury by sconing someone too hard(however much the twat deserved it)

If someone takes the field on God Mode the marshalls should soon pick it up and take them aside for a friendly chat or toe hacking thier arse of the field.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:49 pm      Reply with quote

Quite so.
Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:28 pm      Reply with quote

Ah, but you miss the point. In a measured hard-hit system you quickly learn to fight as a gentleman and take your hits. Otherwise it hurts.
You don`t need Marshalls, except for scoring an organised torni.
For all practical purposes the system is self-limiting and self-policing.
It is as near accident free as possible, and certainly teaches you the importance of good shield work.
Give it a try and see for yourselves.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:50 pm      Reply with quote

Nope got the point quite well

And I look at a system that is touted to "Self Policing" and think Yeah right i will believe it when i see it.

take the marshalls out and egos Will soon rear thier ugly heads.

and then what?
put an edge on your sword and see how armour Really works

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:02 pm      Reply with quote

Nah, I don`t go wiith the edges on swords ( or axes ) - they ruin shields far too quickly !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:21 am      Reply with quote

When the adrenilin is pumping and the bloods up it is easy to not notice good hits especially in a melee and especially from behind. Which is why I will always take a fighter at his word that s/he got me.

That said I have walked off the feild, having seen people not take hits that staggered them, rather than continue upping the hit to a level I know will cause injury. Not to mention once you start hitting one idiot that hard it can be differcult to then tap politly on his mate who is accepting blows and is not wearing as much armour.

Page 1 of 6

Jump to: