Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Horse bows

Gimley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:53 am     Horse bows Reply with quote

Hi gticm2 ( or can I call you G for short? Smile )
Was re-reading some of the posts and noticed your thing about horse bows. I make bows ( nope, not trying to sell you one), mainly flat and cable bows. Have a look on my site and you'll see a Meare Heath replica.

The next project is a horse bow. I've got some info on it, not that there's much that I can find, and the horn, but can't get the sinew over here without paying a b****y fortune for it.
Do you know if it's possible to get it over there, and sent over? One of the biggest problems, I think, is our stupid 'health and safety' laws.
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:18 am      Reply with quote

Very Happy G would be my husband, Grayson. Yes I like my horsebows, one I can use them with my horses and they don't upset my rsi.

as to the sinew.... um no idea sorry, I don't make bows. You could try asking on http://atarn.net/phpBB2/index.php as there are a lot of guys that make bows out of horn, sinew and fish glue and may know where to get some from cheap. Have you tried your local meat works directly? I do the accounts for one here in Wellington and we sell beef tendons quite cheap so maybe one over there might? then you would just need to do the prepping to get it fibrery like.

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Gimley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:50 am      Reply with quote

Cheers for that, I'll have a look, it'll be interesting anyway. Been looking for somewhere that makes them for ages.

I've tried going direct to the abatoirs, no luck. It's mainly since the BSE scare over here a few years ago, dont know if you heard about that, probably not. Now ALL what they call ' waste products' have be burned, even the horns. Typical knee jerk reaction of the government, but it makes it almost impossible to get stuff like that now.

I suppose I'll just have to go deer poaching Smile
wuzzle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:20 pm     Re: Horse bows Reply with quote

Gimley wrote:
Hi gticm2 ( or can I call you G for short? :) )
Was re-reading some of the posts and noticed your thing about horse bows. I make bows ( nope, not trying to sell you one), mainly flat and cable bows. Have a look on my site and you'll see a Meare Heath replica.

The next project is a horse bow. I've got some info on it, not that there's much that I can find, and the horn, but can't get the sinew over here without paying a b****y fortune for it.
Do you know if it's possible to get it over there, and sent over? One of the biggest problems, I think, is our stupid 'health and safety' laws.

Go to the native american brain tanning site
(you can get there searching "brain tanning"

have an excellent on line trading section
may be eaisier(and cheeper ) via USA

I have also noticed a lot of bow adverts
on this site incl a good native hunting forum

rgds Wuzzle

NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:42 am      Reply with quote

You can buy sinew from this site in the US, but you might run into trouble with customs because it's an animal product - either they won't be able to export it or you won't be able to import it.

http://nativeway.safewebshop.com/glues__pigments_and_hafting_materials.html

Nigel
Gimley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:50 am      Reply with quote

That's a problem I know about already, though I will have a look at that site. I was hoping more to get it from a small abatoir, or even privately, and have it sent in plain brown paper packages Smile

What do you reckon on the possibilities of getting Shark skin?
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:04 am      Reply with quote

Shark skin should be fairly easy to get... or at least it would be here in NZ. Talk to any fish and chip shop (or whatever the UK equivalent is) - over here they call it lemon fish or something like that and it's fairly common. You could also try a fishmarket or even wander down to the docks and talk to the guys climbing off the fishing trawlers. I'm assuming the skin is a waste product and isn't used elsewhere - you just need to get hold of it before it get to the bin or someone who worries more about liability than helping someone out.

I have absolutely no idea how you could go about 'tanning' shark skin though.

Nigel
Gimley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:34 am      Reply with quote

I've tried that over here. The local fishmonger keeps me few, when he's in the right mood!, but Shark is really difficult to get. It's relatively easy to cure, a friend of mine's in the skin business and used to be a taxidermist, he tells me how to do it.
Just wondered if there was someone your way who could send dried skins.

Why is it the things I want to get hold of most are the most b****y difficult???????? Sad
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:20 pm     Shark skin Prophylactics Reply with quote

And Gimley did make this statement:-
Quote:
.......... but Shark is really difficult to get. It's relatively easy to cure, a friend of mine's in the skin business and used to be a taxidermist, he tells me how to do it.

How 'bout starting a thread in crafts and give us the lowdown on how to do it.

A couple of the other lists I'm on have had problems with the curing and the retention of the denticular layer that makes it so grippy.

Oh yeah and it's fish skin prophylactics not shark.
Sorry for the painful misinformation. I can picture some of you crying at the thought of it.

Oh yeah and how does someone in the skin trade know about leather tanning? Leather and its usage, yes. Tanning and its applications, yes.
And the taxidermy part, I have no idea. I thought I knew some odd people.
Or are you talking about something different.

Cheers
Bogue
Gimley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:57 am      Reply with quote

That's not a bad idea, I'll just double check that I've got the processing info right. The way is do it is simple, and it's works for Dog Fish, which is a small species of Shark we get here. I use it for sandpaper.Watch out for the thread.

This fella had to know about that sort of thing to be a Taxidermist ( Taxidermy--------------stuffing dead things Smile ), and I think he was in the tanning trade before.

I know some MUCH odder people than that Laughing

Prophylactics????????????????????? Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Suppose it depends if it's rough side in or out Laughing
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: