Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Other Weapons and Combat
Punishment for Richard of Pudlicott (d.1305), Wikipedia.

conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:47 pm     Punishment for Richard of Pudlicott (d.1305), Wikipedia. Reply with quote

Richard of Pudlicott (d.1305), also known as Richard de Podelicote (or Pudlicote, or Dick Puddlecote), was an English wool merchant who, down on his luck, became an infamous burglar of King Edward I's Wardrobe treasury at Westminster Abbey in 1303. Richard, along with high-ranked accomplices, stole a large portion of the King's treasury of gems, antique gold and coins, estimated at over 100,000 pounds, or about equal to a year's tax revenue for the Kingdom of England. When priceless objects began flooding pawn shops, houses of prostitution and even fishing nets in the river Thames, the King and his ministers, away at war in Scotland, were alerted. Many dozens of people were rounded up and jailed in a wide and indiscriminate net and eventually brought to one of the biggest trials of the High Middle Ages in England. Ultimately most of the loot was recovered and a dozen or so were hanged, including Richard, but most escaped the executioner: Richard gave a false confession that he was the only one involved, saving the clergy—his inside accomplices—from being condemned. After his hanging, his body was flayed, and the skin nailed to the door of Westminster Abbey [1].
Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:56 pm      Reply with quote

See my post in the Wikipedia thread
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: