Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Encampment and Displays
Anyone worked with canvas companies?

amuckart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:01 pm     Anyone worked with canvas companies? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a medieval tent, and as well as searching various suppliers of them I'm contemplating getting a canvas place to build one.

I spoke to the people at Canvasland in Wellington today and they said they'd made an "awning type thing" for a "medieval guy" before. Zane suggested this might be Stephan who was at the siege camp.

Is this ringing any bells?

Anyone have experiences working with canvas fabricators to get things made?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:57 pm      Reply with quote

When we decided to get a Medieval tent we explored all our options. We got prices for buying canvas to make one ourselves, we got prices from local canvas companies to make us a tent and we looked at buying one pre-made.

The cheapest and easiest option was to buy one pre-made. We got our tent from www.tentsmiths.com they were GREAT! The lady we dealt with, Deborah, was fantastic. We love our tent so much that we are currently having another one made by them. They can supply everything you need. We got a fantastic tent, made to excellent quality, for under $1000. They pride themselves on being as historically acurate as possible too.

I do know of other people who've had their tents made by canvas companies. Matt Daly (from our club) had his viking tent made by John Hewinson Canvas in Whangarei. But I know it was expensive.
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:58 am      Reply with quote

When we were thinking about doing our tent we got told by a SCA guy to go to MB Canvas in Petone http://yellow.co.nz/companies/Canvas-Goods/M-B-Canvas-Repair-Service-Ltd/100269596_430.html in the end we decided to buy a tent and we now have a order in with Talisien from Blue Draco in Aussie.
did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
griff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:50 pm      Reply with quote

"we now have a order in with Talisien from Blue Draco in Aussie.

"http://bluedraco.com.au/dragon1/index.php

top notch tents you wont be disapointed
Inigo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:05 pm      Reply with quote

I had one built by Raewyn Stockdale of Historical Times in Wellington years ago. I still use it and the price was very reasonable. She was (is?) doing medieval stuff and working for a canvas company.

No idea on contact details or if she's still involved in medieval and / or canvas stuff...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:02 am      Reply with quote

Shannonlouise wrote:

The cheapest and easiest option was to buy one pre-made. We got our tent from www.tentsmiths.com they were GREAT! The lady we dealt with, Deborah, was fantastic. We love our tent so much that we are currently having another one made by them. They can supply everything you need. We got a fantastic tent, made to excellent quality, for under $1000. They pride themselves on being as historically acurate as possible too.

They're one of the many tent vendors I've emailed about what I'm after, but that was only today so i haven't heard back yet.

What sort of tent did you get? We're looking at something fairly large and relatively complex (big twin-pole dual hub and spoke pavillion) and most of the options I've seen for buying them from overseas vendors will come in at the $3-4k mark landed, once taxes shipping and GST are taken into account, and that's before ropes and poles. I struggle to believe there is no maker in NZ that can't build what I'm after for that or less.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:03 am      Reply with quote

griff wrote:

Thanks for the pointer. I've sent them an email and will see what they say.

Buying from Oz is a lot more tempting than buying from the US or Europe in terms of shipping and exchange rates, but still incurs that whole shipping + duty + GST thing when they cross the border.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:08 pm      Reply with quote

We got a "museum wedge tent". Although we didn't get the poles through tentsmiths as shipping was going to be too expensive. We got our poles locally. It will probably take a few days for them to get back to you as they've informed me that they are extremely busy at the moment. Shipping wasn't too bad...for the tent, complete floor and 14' awning, plus all the pegs it was USD200.

As for GST, we found we didn't have to pay any. There weren't any customs fees either.

There definitely seems to be a gap in the market for Medieval tents made in NZ. Most local canvas makers don't seem to be interested in making Medieval tents, so perhaps somebody with the right skills could try their hand at tent making for the NZ demand.
wuzzle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:51 pm      Reply with quote

Shannonlouise wrote:
We got a "museum wedge tent". Although we didn't get the poles through tentsmiths as shipping was going to be too expensive. We got our poles locally. It will probably take a few days for them to get back to you as they've informed me that they are extremely busy at the moment. Shipping wasn't too bad...for the tent, complete floor and 14' awning, plus all the pegs it was USD200.

As for GST, we found we didn't have to pay any. There weren't any customs fees either.

There definitely seems to be a gap in the market for Medieval tents made in NZ. Most local canvas makers don't seem to be interested in making Medieval tents, so perhaps somebody with the right skills could try their hand at tent making for the NZ demand.

We are currently running two tents through canvasland levin

they are very helpful,price will be around $250 after w/proof
for a 2.0mtr geteld plus $120 for poles (3) we are going to
use hand made waterproof and got canvas for free.
No canvas would increase tent by $150 incl w/proof

thus a $520 NZ made tent is plausable very close to USA price

wuzzle

Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:58 pm      Reply with quote

What's a decent price for tent canvas? And where can I get some in Auckland? I'm also looking at waterproofing: is it cheaper to buy waterproofing and apply it, or buy pre-waterproofed canvas (if there is such a thing)?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:03 pm      Reply with quote

Try Texspec.

http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing/y3s0/texspec-new-zealand-ltd/

We've bought Sunforger canvas from them in the past (waterproofed, mould-retardant, fire-retardant cotton canvas) Worked out at about $18/m shipped to my door, but I don't know how much the changing shipping & dollar values will affect that price.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:18 pm      Reply with quote

Victor I can get it for you silly Razz PM me and tell me what you want. Laughing
gt1cm2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:49 am      Reply with quote

griff wrote:

Well the tent arrived from Aussie monday last week in time for Harcourt which was great as it made a base camp for the Falcons. We're both really pleased with it, very well made and it stood up to the rain we had over night. Not sure if Talisien is taking any orders at the moment but it'll be at Taupo if anyone is wanting to have a nose at it.

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
amuckart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:01 am      Reply with quote

Their stuff looks nice but I emailed a couple of times them some months ago and never got a response.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:51 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
I emailed a couple of times them some months ago and never got a response

I must admit this is the only issue we had when dealing with Blue Draco. We also managed to get our tent in without having to pay gst on it (Talisien said that it was going to be her personal tent for use at Taupo Wink Wink )

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: