Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Some Russian's fighting with steel swords...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Carl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:26 am      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:

-Again, your experience of European combat is what...?
Come on, we are waiting.

None I dont live in Europe, I live in New Zealand, And my experience of NZ combat tells me that these guys are just using "Swing Bash,Swing,Bash" techniques.

No Offence to our SCAdian cousins but very similar to some of the SCA battle footage I have seen coming out of the States.

Forget about trying to strike your opponent, but rather pummel him into the ground.

I just wonder why; in your perfect world, We here in NZ are not allowed to use head blow combat, but in Russia they can beat each other into bloody lumps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:28 am      Reply with quote

I did fight at NAAMA. I shall also fight at Taupo.

Have a look at this guy who trained many east european groups.
His name is Phil Burthem

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~vikink/broadcast.php

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:28 am      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:

Come on, we are waiting.

It is very arrogant to assume that the posters on this thread do not have European combat experience, I admit I don't but then neither am I a combatant. However I know there are posters here that do.... Also not everyone can access this site during the day so maybe you need to learn the art of patience.

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Gerard Kraay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:31 am      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
I did fight at NAAMA. I shall also fight at Taupo.

Have a look at this guy who trained many east european groups.
His name is Phil Burthem

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~vikink/broadcast.php

I think that you have made the point for us with this link he looks like a Stage and Film fight director. Stage fighting has next to nothing to do with historic combat technique.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:29 pm      Reply with quote

And you have missed the point entirely...Phil Burthem is both a stage fight director - and a battle re-enactor of over 20 years experience. Additionaly he founded the Internation Viking Society, who took re-enactment to Eastern Europe and Russia during the 90`s.
The IVS also toured extensively in Canada and Southern Europe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:55 pm      Reply with quote

Well I look forward to seeing some clips that are more then the "hack hack" of the last ones then.

In my experience, stage fighters don’t represent historically accurate fighting 99% of the time on or off the stage and screen.

Feel free to come along anytime and show us your stuff.

Gerard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:14 pm      Reply with quote

Ok G lets not get into a discussion over stage combat pretty please.

Stuart.... If Phil Burthem had anything to do with the training of the fighters in the posted video I would be gobsmacked.

What we are saying is simple that video was Brutal, nasty, sloppy and Dangerous, So don't jump in and proclaim that they are actually very skilled and safe fighters (I think your words were along the lines of "Warriors") when the opposite is evident.

When Steve was alive he found a video of some Russian fighting and we both watched it in total shock as one guy had the faceplate of his helmet torn off from a blow that also quite obviously gave him a nasty concussion.

Now Steve forgot more about re-enactment fighting than most people will ever learn and he was stunned at the sheer brutality and disregard to safety that these guys were demonstrating.

The one thing that shocked Steve the most was the fact that the Marshalls only seemed to get involved when someone was injured.

So please dont tell us that we dont know what we are Ignorant just because we are expressing our opinions.

thats T.M.M's job, (now that Colin's gone inactive)

Joke guys Joke Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:34 pm      Reply with quote

Those Russians look like they're fighting to me. I believe the rules are "stop hitting them when they go down", which is certainly a more medieval rule set than either the SCA or NAAMA use.

They're not using thrusts, which is probably pretty sensible and, unless I'm mistaken - a reasonably period "rule" for a tournament fought on foot.

There are a few people on this forum, perhaps not used to heavy armoured combat, unjustly critisizing the footwork. But I think, for the most part it looks pretty sensible to me. They're keeping stable body positions and using their armour as armour. They're happily ignoring solid blows that they know their armour can absord. They are using charges and body position in conjunction with solid blows to knock people over.

Aside from the mish-mash of period of armour, I can imagine a foot tournament 600 years ago looking pretty similar to this.

Admit it, they're doing it better than we are.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:40 pm      Reply with quote

yep inigo
they kinda are but fuck me if you catch me wearing a pot helm and coif in that

also no pole arms but i guess in that situation tey would lack advantage as i have seen battle feild footage of this sort and heaps of polearms

its the battle of vyborg and such i am talking about

out of intrest would you do this ?
kiwifruitbat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:21 pm     On honour and respect Reply with quote

Personal opinions, while very valid, can get out of hand. Especially when regarding a different style.

I've taken the time to watch a few other videos of tourneys in that region - Russia, Ukraine, Poland, et al.

Yes they use a far heavier style than we do. Or at least what we used when I was in NZ. Combat styles however should not supersede the one thing that was at the heart of every lesson I had with Steve - safety.

As all of the combatants were fully armoured in metal, harder blows could ergo be used. Had there been the eclectic armour styles (or lack of armour) that we enjoy at NAAMA, I personally believe that blows may well have been pulled. Ifeel Inigo is one of the more qualified people to speak of full power blow stance, at the same time I would like to think I was experienced enough to say if stances slipped during a battle.

And I would challenge anyone here to say that they have been able to keep 100% perfect combat stance 100% of the time in the middle of a pitched battle.

Stephan is quite correct about the pot helm, however if the rules were utterly clear on head shots - direct vertical ONLY (which looked to be the case), thIt may well be quite safe.

Call me a wimp if you like, but at my present skill and comfort level, I would vastly prefer fighting to the touch with metal. Padded rotand cane for full force.

Oh - and for the record, I've trained with some groups while I was in the UK. The core watch-word was always safety, safety safety. And fencing helms were an absolute must during training (even in-club).

No Exceptions.

And when they learned Steve had trained me, they listened to what I had to say in regards to a Sword and Buckler for an advanced class. In was honoured by this and even more by the fact that they took the teachings passed to me by Steve seriously.

Different countries, different styles, the same core love of the sword.

Alan.
kiwifruitbat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:24 pm     Addendum to the previous post Reply with quote

I also saw that they were shaking hands, laughing, checking each other. Not speaking Polak or Russian, I can only surmise that they were self-checking that the blows were acceptable and complimenting each others skill.

As we all should do.

Alan.
Inigo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:26 pm      Reply with quote

stephan wrote:
out of intrest would you do this ?

I'd do this, but I'd have mesh behind my visor and I'd need new gauntlets. I have all the rest of the armour I need.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:03 pm      Reply with quote

My big question is, What are the rules, In regards to a Kill-hit, I admit in the hectic flash of steel and fury of blows i may have missed it but what are these guys calling as a fair hit.

is it hit-em till they fall over or what?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:28 pm      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Come on, we are waiting.

I've played with an SCA group in the UK and at the time I did pretty average against them. That was about 9-10 years ago, one event in Basingstoke (sp?) and one in Wales.

I also played with a steel weapon group in Nottingham while I was doing a programming contract for Boots the Chemist. On the whole, I found them to be very similar to any other group at NAAMA. Namely, they would spend several hours standing around, a few moments fighting and the rest of the evening in the pub drinking and bragging about previous victories Very Happy They were a pretty "average" club in terms of kit (no turn shoes, mail was rare) and didn't do head blow combat, so I tended to head over to the Royal Armouries in Leeds every other weekend and watch the professional reenactors there. Jousters, fencers and pole axe combat. This was also 9-10 years ago but even then they were doing some pretty good stuff and although the fights were corriagraphed it still looked more real than anything else I'd ever seen. The blows were hard and if they'd missed any of their guards, they would have been laid out flat.

I've never been to any of the big battles in the UK, but 'd like to get to the Battle of Hastings one year - maybe I'll go for my 40th birthday.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:02 pm      Reply with quote

Clearly wisdom comes with an expanding list of international combats.
Travel certainly broadens the mind.
I wonder if some Kiwi-Polish frendship society would be interested in inviting re-enactors from Poland to visit here and demo their style of fighting ?

Page 2 of 4

Jump to: