Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
The art in martial arts

Colin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:13 am     The art in martial arts Reply with quote

pmel018 wrote:
Colin
while "western" and "martial" are more or less self explanitory in the context used here, how do you(or anyone else)determine what constitutes "art"
Phil

I'll answer this with an analogy (pinched primarily from Maestro Ramon Martinez). Essentially it is my job as instructor to provide my students with a toolbox and the knowledge and experience to use each tool (and I'm not referring to swords per se). The student will then create art using the tools and knowledge thereof for the given circumstances.

This is exactly how I've taught people since 2002. It's extremely toolbox oriented. Putting it together to make a cogent (and physical) argument is the art.

It's why I'm so 'big' on fencing theory and wax lyrical about it. It's why I've gone on and on about time and distance so much. Without understanding these things, you've got nothing. Learning isolated techniques without a grounding in solid fencing theory will get the practitioner nowhere.

I'm also going to point out that I'm primarily a lurker on GD these days. I've answered your question because you've asked me to, but I'm not going to engage further. I'm mostly here to wear a moderator's hat due to the potential conflagration that has been going on. This is the sole reason I've begun posting again.

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Phil Berghan-Whyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:22 pm     Re: The art in martial arts Reply with quote

pmel018 wrote:
...while "western" and "martial" are more or less self explanitory in the context used here, how do you(or anyone else)determine what constitutes "art"
Phil

The Oxford English Dictionary provided several definitions of "art" but the one most applicable to this question (in my opinion) is "Skill in doing anything as the result of knowledge and practice"

While I was browsing I looked up:

Western - "Of or pertaining to the Western or European countries or races as distinguished from the Eastern or Oriental." and also "Of or belonging to the west; found or produced in the west."

Martial - "Of or relating to battle or war; military"

Link those together and you have (roughly): military skill resulting from knowledge and practice developed in Western or European countries or by Western and European peoples (as distinguished from Eastern or Oriental countries and peoples).

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: