Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Other Lifestyle
Walled gardens (c12th)

Effigy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:37 pm     Walled gardens (c12th) Reply with quote

Has anyone done any investigation into enclosed, walled, kitchen/household gardens C12th? (any period would be a good start.)
I have a 5m square area which is perfect to experiment with, so I would like to start a project garden. I'm not a renter, so this can be a long term project.
I need access to research on C12 species and seed suppliers available in NZ, and help with which plants could be used in a domestic way, not so much culinary would be appreciated too.
In short I want to experiment with putting in a garden which replicates the function of the household-maintenance-products-isle in the supermarket, if those plants are also edible - that's a bonus.
This is the time of year to start, its cleared, turned and ready to fallow.
Smiles,
A
Boyd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:08 am      Reply with quote

Hi Anne

Try this as a starting point...

http://livinghistory.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13015

Cheers

Boyd
Effigy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:21 pm     Found my first seeds Reply with quote

Purple carrots.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Outdoor-garden-conservatory/Seeds/Veggies-herbs/auction-147928049.htm

Ill keep you posted as I progress with this project. I also have about 150 box cuttings trying to grow in fairly arid Northland conditions - oh for a town water supply!
Neutral
Kotek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:28 pm      Reply with quote

this book is quite informative on the subject.
Peter Lyon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:54 am      Reply with quote

Also try "The Medieval Garden" by Sylvia Landsberg - it covers the garden throughout the medieval period, not just herbs, but is well illustrated and a good intro. The library might have a copy.
stephan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:09 pm      Reply with quote

next time i see you i will bring my book on medical gardens that is a medieval copy {mordern book with same text and pictures forgottn what its called but its cool} its not for taste porposes but most of the stuff is edible due to the food/mediecal theroy bumping around at the time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: