Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Textiles, Garb and Jewelery
Leather Shoe-Making Workshop in New Year

Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:55 am     Leather Shoe-Making Workshop in New Year Reply with quote

Salvete,
I am organising a shoe-making workshop for the New Year, probably mid January or thereabouts. Date to be advised later, location at Beach Haven, North Shore City.
Shoes can be made more or less the same way from the Roman Period, all the way through the Dark Age Viking era, and Medieval through to about the Tudor period. The basic construction is about the same, with some variation in final pattern.
I have room for approximately 15 people.
List of Supplies needed:
-Linen thread
-Leather needle
-Thimble
(These can be purchased from Spotlight stores: don't take no for an answer as the staff often don't know what it is they stock - I've found stuff there after staffmembers have said they don't have it, or didn't have a clue. I will have some spares of these, but not enough without pre-ordering).
-2mm leather for uppers (not sure about vege-tanned, but you can get modern crome-tanned from Grut (GDL) in Hillside Dr Glenfield, or Fern in Lansford Cres Avondale).
-4-5mm hide for soles (not available at GDL or Fern unless you buy a whole hide, costs between $150-$200. Or small sections from Inigo, see Shoes thread). Better way is for me to get a bulk order from Inigo and have it available here at approx $15 per person. This would be his preferred method.
-Neatsfeet oil for waterproofing.
Will probably take place over two Saturdays, as we'll be handsewing. In which case we get set up, and finish off at home over the next week, and return for Finishing and Waterproofing (or all on one day if anyone wishes to bring a long a portable Industrial machine).
Please list your names here if interested.

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:20 pm      Reply with quote

Some shoes I have made:
Medieval turnshoes (thick hide soles and waterproofing yet to be applied)

Turnshoes1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  149.48 KB
 Viewed:  9996 Time(s)

Turnshoes1.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:26 pm      Reply with quote

And Roman outdoor footwear (Calceii, used by Civilians, Military alike - sandals only worn inside).

Calceii.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  160.91 KB
 Viewed:  9991 Time(s)

Calceii.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:01 pm      Reply with quote

Here are a photo from a set I did a while back. The mostly completed shoe is still wet from being turned in the right way. They're welted construction and very comfortable. The soles were given to me by Al Muckart because they were too small for him and he's generous Very Happy

I have a reasonable amount of leather like the uppers, but none for sale quite as heavy as the sole leather.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:45 pm      Reply with quote

Victorius wrote:
And Roman outdoor footwear (Calceii, used by Civilians, Military alike - sandals only worn inside).

Can you explain further? I was under the impression that sandals in outdoor wear were a time/place thing in the Roman empire and there were places where they were almost certainly daily outdoor wear. and I'd like to hear more.

I'm assuming you're not counting caligae (they aren't technically sandals but most people call them sandals).

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:53 pm      Reply with quote

Since people are playing that game, here's one of the last pair I built for myself. Mid-late c14th shoes based on the Walter de Helyon effigy. Relatively heavy (2.5mm) veg tan uppers.

type40-1-640.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.3 KB
 Viewed:  9962 Time(s)

type40-1-640.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:20 am     I said it before... Reply with quote

I said it before and I say it again - this shoes are amazing. Absolutely stunning pieces of art!
Victorius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:50 pm      Reply with quote

amuckart wrote:
Victorius wrote:

Can you explain further? I was under the impression that sandals in outdoor wear were a time/place thing in the Roman empire and there were places where they were almost certainly daily outdoor wear. and I'd like to hear more.

I'm assuming you're not counting caligae (they aren't technically sandals but most people call them sandals).

Cheers.

Caligae are boots, not sandals. Just that they're made of hide, not the normal thinner leather usually used for shoes and boots, so they split them to make the hide fold (or else to drain water if they crossed a stream, that sort of thing). The Emperor Caius, more usually known today as Caligula, was named after a set of little caligae made for him when he was in an army camp with his father as a child (caligula = "Little boots"), and the name stuck (note, "Little BOOTS", not "Little sandals").
Romans wore boots called calceii outside (singluar "Calceus"), such as the brown ones I've shown above. Sandals were worn indoors only. All illustrations by Roman, about Romans, show calceii being worn outside. What differ are depictions of Greeks, who DID wear sandals, and Early Church illustrations which show JC and the Apostles in sandals, as people who lived in the Jewish areas (Judea, Idumea etc) wore them.
Slaves often went barefoot.
Another type of footwear shown in the sources are knee-high boots. Sometimes these are shown with open-toes, but quite often fully-enclosed. The infamous Xena Boots are based on these. We in LEGIO II AVGVSTA have done a detailed study of these, and our Authenticity Officers have concluded that Xena Boots, if the laces are replaced by thonging and the soles with hide ones, are suitable for Living History (however, this only applies to Roman and Late Roman/Migration Era footwear: we can't speak for later periods).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:02 pm      Reply with quote

[quote="Victorius"]Caligae are boots, not sandals. Just that they're made of hide, not the normal thinner leather usually used for shoes and boots, so they split them to make the hide fold (or else to drain water if they crossed a stream, that sort of thing). The Emperor Caius, more usually known today as Caligula, was named after a set of little caligae made for him when he was in an army camp with his father as a child (caligula = "Little boots"), and the name stuck (note, "Little BOOTS", not "Little sandals").

Couldnt resist show-n tell time.
And lo....
the proverbial 'little boots'!
Sad and tatty now, but they belong to a 10yr old boy, and are much worn. I made these for NAAMA 06, they got 2nd in the craft comp.

Count me in Victor.
Smiles
Anne

Caligae.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.08 KB
 Viewed:  9862 Time(s)

Caligae.jpg

Victorius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:30 pm      Reply with quote

Confirmed date: Sunday 24 Feb at 12pm. We'll have lunch here (pot-luck) and get started about 1pm.
I can supply hide for soles at $15 pp for those who need it (but none for uppers, please get supplies from GDL or Fern Leather as per above).
I won't be listing my address here in a public forum, but please confirm below, then text your user-name to me on 021 468 041 and I'll text back my address.
We'll be doing this even if only one other person shows up. But please: don't wait until after we've started before deciding to join. I'd rather people say they can come, but not show, than have to spend shoe-sewing time texting details.
Thanks,
Victor

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: