Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Other Crafts
Tent doors....

Wellybex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:53 am     Tent doors.... Reply with quote

Anyone made a Viking tent? I am having trouble making the doors work and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction....

I only have till Thursday night to make them work!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:16 pm      Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by 'making the doors', but use Pythagorus to work out the lengths ('A' squared + 'B' squared = 'C' squared) - and dont forget to allow seam allowances and an overlap at the center to keep the wind out.
Wellybex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:13 pm      Reply with quote

Thats what I did but I now have one side to long and if I shorten that side they aren't long enough and the doors look warped.

The other problem is my tent is leaving tonight so i can't even pitch it to see if the doors work (since I'm at work today!).

if I can't work out how to get the doors to work i might just have to opt for pieces of fabric over it for the time being.....

Thank you for your advice!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:11 pm      Reply with quote

Then you must have a machining problem. Cut cotton tape the exact length the outer edge should be, quarter it and put watch marks on the tape. Quarter and mark your doors the same. Im picking the cut edge has grown in the machine. Lay your tape over the cut edge, machine it on matching your marks; have the tape on top. Mark the tent edge in quarters and again match your now correct length cut/taped edge on and machine, voila!
If that dont work I have seen pictures of cloaks etc draped as door flaps. Not too good in the wind though...
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: