Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Some Russian's fighting with steel swords...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Inigo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:39 pm     Some Russian's fighting with steel swords... Reply with quote

Ouch Shocked

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SjwZO9gd_Ow&feature=related

I wish someone would put classical music in the background...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:53 pm      Reply with quote

Having those swords slung across the shoulders in an oh so nonchalant way is asking for an eye out.

Also highlights the dangers that the dead can pose on the battlefield. A good lesson of "dying" under your shield, lest someone tread on your head.

*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*
Oskar der Drachen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:20 pm      Reply with quote

Looks like good fun, and the armor standard is high. Belting with that steel though. It looks like an SCA blow standard, these guys were striking with force! All those bare necks (shudder) especially that dude with the pot helm. 10 from 10 for bravery, 2 from 10 for good sense.

Not for me.

Oskar
kiwifruitbat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:38 pm     On power and safety Reply with quote

For those thinking that the blows aren't near full strength... look carefully near the end of the clip at the guy fighting with the WWI style helmet - the one that looks like a dinner plate - the same type Julz wears (yes, I've forgotten it's name).

A seemingly casual blow from another fighter puts a stonking big dent in the rim.

This means one of 2 things:

1/ the helm is what we would consider barely safe grade (is thick aluminium acceptable for a helm rim? I'm 99% sure it's not), or
2/ Those blows are anything but light.

Thoughts?

Plus you may note a few fighters limping slightly - though that may be simulated injuries. And none of those blows looked pulled.

EDIT - the Pot Helm iswhat I was talking about.
Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:02 pm      Reply with quote

I think the Russians can teach a thing or two about the essentials of aggressive shield work.
The fighting technique is very simular that that used in the 1970s & 80s by the Medieval Combat Society and the old Norse Film & Pagant Society. It`s not for wimps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:33 pm      Reply with quote

Ok, try this clip then. Reenactment of the Battle of Grunwald (Tannenberg)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-YWatfw3n4

The guy I've been speaking to in Poland says 2-3 usually go off to hospital.

did the band play the last post and chorus
did the pipes play the flowers of the forest
Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:11 pm      Reply with quote

-and how many took the field ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:58 am      Reply with quote

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. little to no technique poor posture and balance. No idea of distance or timing let alone co-ordination and battlefield awareness.

And no point work or thrusts to speak of.

Reminds me of Ice hockey brawls on ESPN

Basically thugs at play. Never give a peasent a sword

TTFN
Bigmac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:08 am      Reply with quote

No, these are warriors who know what they are doing and deserve more respect.

-and your overseas fighting experience is what ?

No european re-enactment groups do thrusts for general combat.

You may not like what the Russians and Poles do, but they are running large-scale events and seem to have reasonable standards of armour and fighting. The marshals are doing their jobs properly.
There is something to learn here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:41 am      Reply with quote

to the battlefield- that was very well done. There was good battlefield awareness, no-one got stepped on that I could see, if someone died and it did not look safe to fall down, then they knelt and people avoided them... and as soon as possible the kneeler lay down.

There were some who let their technique slide a little, but they kept themselves very safe throughout.

As for aggressive shield-work, yes I agree, though it would also have to be to a very safe level - intra-club not a problem. The catch is (as always) when you go inter-club. The second video listed also shows some aggressive shield work but not with the same level of gung-ho of the first video. People were far more aware of what they were doing, how they were doing it.

And weapons were kept far safer than before.

Alan.
Gerard Kraay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:13 am      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
No, these are warriors who know what they are doing and deserve more respect.

You crack me up Stuart, on one hand you go on and on and on about the terrible danger of combat that includes head blows and on the other hand you think these fighters know what their doing and deserve respect when they are hacking the crap out of each other with gay abandon with what looks to be sub standard armour in some cases, and there not displaying any technique aside from “ugg I hit’s it”

Stuart wrote:

No european re-enactment groups do thrusts for general combat.

More complete rubbish.

As Big Mac said, “Never give a peasant a sword”

GK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:45 am      Reply with quote

The point here is that the Poles and Russians are using their shields and swords to ward off significant head blows.
-something that New Zealand fighters ( while wearing silly fencing masks ) can`t do..

As I mentioned, your persoanl experience of overseas combat is ...?

Thrusting is forbidden in most Euro re-enactments and going a thrust is likely to get you banned from the field.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:47 am      Reply with quote

But On the First of August Stuart wrote:
I think you guys have a death wish..

Head-blow = head-injury.

Go figure.

Here

What changed in five months Stuart?

You Flip Flop better than a member of the White House press staff trying to justify the invasion of Iraq.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:04 am      Reply with quote

I make no secret of my dislike for head blows and especially thrusts to the head. My disapproval of headblows does not extend to calling the Russians and Poles " thugs with swords" . I consider such remarks to be quite inappropiate.
They are highly skilled warriors and deserve our respect.

-Again, your experience of European combat is what...?
Come on, we are waiting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:08 am      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
The point here is that the Poles and Russians are using their shields and swords to ward off significant head blows.
-something that New Zealand fighters ( while wearing silly fencing masks ) can`t do..

Feck me, I did not realise that when I put on a fencing mask I could no longer raise my shield above shoulder height. It must be the physics of the mask incumbering my shoulder and arm.

Hey Stuart when was the last time you took to the field, did not see your expertise at NAAMA.

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: