Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
sunday morning bow practice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:37 pm      Reply with quote

OK, so let me get this straight... in a Wellington reserve I'm not allowed to play frisby with my mates (team sport), walk on the grass (disturbing plants), climb trees (!), or play the bagpipes (using a dangerous instrument). And don't even think about throwing pebbles into the lake!

I wonder when the council last prosecuted someone for climbing trees?
Jonanthebarbarian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:04 pm     sunday morning bow practice Reply with quote

Quote " walk on the grass (disturbing plants), climb trees (!), or play the bagpipes (using a dangerous instrument). "

Bagpipes would disturb the DEAD!

Aside from that, I think the generalisation of any rules such as these, means they're open to interpretation. So IF a public servant wants to pull rank, they're applying their OWN interpretation - in which case you argue.
We had a case of a park security guard try and pull rank on a gathering we had at Cornwall Park on a Sunday. There were members from just about all the clubs in Auckland that day.

Dave Green & I took him aside and asked what was the problem, and we got an officious answer. Realising I was talking to an idiot, I asked for his identity, which he refused to do (of course). I explained that without any proof we how could we know if he was genuine? I offered to call his boss on my cell phone if he gave me the number to call. He said there would be no one at the office till Monday. He said it was in the phone book.
Pressed for his name, because I was going to write a written report and mention him, he said his name was Walter. (Didn't come as a surprise, he was a right Wally). At this point his refusal to supply his full name let me to believe he was just being bumptious and would't follow through on banning us.
I gave him my business card informing him that he was free to contact me directly as I was a professional risk management consultant and could help him manage any risks he saw in future.

He took my card, beat a hasty retreat, and left us alone from then on. I always wave him a friendly hello if I see him around these days. He usually waves back but stays well away.
Can't guarantee all Wallys would react the same way - but it's worth a crack Nigel! - if you need to.

Pax Romana
JTB

PS: Public Servants work for ....us, Joe & Mary Public. They can do with being reminded of that fact from time to time.
Inigo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:28 pm      Reply with quote

Cornwall Park isn't actually a public park. It's owned by a private trust. However, at one stage when we were training there we were using metal stands (like electric fence stands) to hold up ropes delineating our combat area. One of the gardeners told us to remove them because they might damage tree roots. So we removed them. On the following week they had the hundred and something year celebration for the park and we had lots of people coming closer than we would have liked to our fighting.

I contacted the board of directors for the Cornwall Park Trust and explained the situation. They decided that what we were doing was just fine and sent an email to the gardening staff to say that we were allowed to do this.

I think that most people who manage parks would be very happy with most of the activities reenactors get up to. They're nothing to be afraid of and a polite letter of inquiry will probably elicit the required permission.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:20 pm     Re: sunday morning bow practice Reply with quote

Jonanthebarbarian wrote:

I've seen this at first levin the cheers from the dead as the piper (nick the norseman) stode forward turned to moans and curses as it became painfully evident that he needed more practice.

TTFN
Bigmac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:16 am     The pipes The pipes Reply with quote

Jonanthebarbarian did so facetiously state
Quote:

Obviously it ain't in your blood then isit.

The pipes have the ability to stir the heart with a range of emotions from a good strong battle rage to a weeping lament to lost souls and everything between. I was raised down the road from a Command Performance piper and my grandmother used to tell me the stories from her Glaswegian childhood while we listened to him practice.
A well played pipe is a wonder to behold.

and having seen and unfortunately heard grainy video footage of first Levin I can attest to Nicks ability to strangle a cat and a tune but not his ability to play the pipes.

More stones to him for giving it a crack though.

Cheers
Bogue
Jonanthebarbarian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:57 am     Sunday morning bow practice Reply with quote

Quote Jonanthebarbarian did so facetiously state
"Bagpipes would disturb the DEAD! "Bogue

Good on ya Bogue for standing up for your ancestral culture! Actually it's mine too. My mother was Glaswegian, and I've spent many a childhood holiday in the Lochs and Glens of the Highlands, as well as helping mum to make Haggis for Hogmanay (New Year)....as for Bagpipes???
My comment may have been flippent, but it was not meant facetiously.
I've had my heart stirred to it's core on many an occasion - including once while at Loch Lomond, with a piper appearing at the side of the road in the mist while we were having a family picnic. THAT was indescribable....like being transported back in time hundreds of years.
But I stand by what I said ... played badly the pipes WOULD wake the dead! Played well, and with the right tune, the dead soldiers would rise from the mists and follow the piper! I'm sure you've heard of the Scottish phantoms. Aye!

And it was through my Mother (long since departed) I learned to do archery!

Slàinte mhòr agad!
(Great Health to you!)

Jonan
griff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:33 am      Reply with quote

Quote "Ive seen this at first levin the cheers from the dead as the piper (nick the norseman) stode forward turned to moans and curses as it became painfully evident that he needed more practice"

i remember that moment well it was pretty awful sounding but funny and i think he can play a bit better now.

ah the good ole days

och aye the nu
stephan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:50 am      Reply with quote

bow practice any one?
Warrensson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:03 pm      Reply with quote

It was a spur of the moment thing...in the days when Celtic/Gaelic culture was the dominant culture in Scotland a Piper (and Druids) were immune to attack in the middle of Clan fighting...well...they were supposed to be.

In any event it was the first time I'd played pipes in 12 years on a spur of the moment whim. As Griff said, I am considerably better now. I also play Uillean, Scottish Smallpipes, Kitchen Pipes, Tin Whistles, Bodhran, Guitar and Bass...so eh...beat that.

Is mise le meas
Nik O'Kiwi

p.s. If anyone is wanting Gaelic lessons, and they live in Auckland, contact me.
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:23 pm     A musical side dish for any combat Reply with quote

And Warrensson did tootle blissfully upon his ...
Quote:
I also play Uillean, Scottish Smallpipes, Kitchen Pipes, Tin Whistles, Bodhran, Guitar and Bass...so eh...beat that.

Had a mate once could bash out a pretty good tune on the German Pipe.

It's amazing what you can do with a bottle of tequila and a VW Kombi.

I'm so glad I don't drink like that anymore ......................................................................... or any less.

And I've been told I can blow a fairly good chillum on occassion.

Cheers
Bogue
griff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:17 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
And I've been told I can blow a fairly good chillum on occassion.

you know if you suck on it rather than blow you will find it plays so much better and your enjoyment of it will be HIGHly enhanced.
but you knew that already.
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: