Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Armouring & Weapon Smithing
Cuir Bouilli Project

Boyd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:23 am     Cuir Bouilli Project Reply with quote

Hi All

Sue from the Wellington Medieval Guild has posted all of her Cuir Bouilli armour secrets on the web at;

http://www.leader.gen.nz/medieval/cuir-bouilli/

Sue has done a lot of work on calculating the shrinkage of the heated leather and the length of time for treating the leather.

Enjoy!

Cheers

Boyd

Aldous Huxley in "Texts and Pretexts", 1932
Inigo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:53 am      Reply with quote

When I was making water hardened leather I tried measuring the shrinkage of the leather and found it equally unpredictable.

I think that the shrinkage is only predictable if you know what part of the cow the leather came off. I believe that leather has "plastic memory" and trys to return to the shape it was on the cow. Leather down the back is best because once it has been stretched and rolled it's still the same shape as it was on the cow. The belly and around the legs is the worst because it gets stretched six ways to Christmas.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:40 pm      Reply with quote

hey inigo

i would like to purchase some leather vambraces and greves for my norman kit

i just missed out on the combo deal by 20 mins {could not get to computer to put second bid} so could we hammer some kind of trademe style deal between us for these items

i am after them asap and can do a pick up purchase
i need them for a fist cursade show coming up soon and have the rest of the kit but it lacks with out these items
Inigo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:39 pm      Reply with quote

replied to privately
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: