Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Other Weapons and Combat
Knife fighting and wrestling

Joel of Old

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:24 am     Knife fighting and wrestling Reply with quote

Who's got any rules for these styles of combat?

Also who's king of the hill of these at the moment?

If no rules are available yet then I'd like to get a thread started on some ideas for them.

If anyone wants a set of rules that I'm comfortable with for unarmed then check out this link

http://xfl.co.nz/10322.html

As for knife fighting, I'm easy to use that set of rules but with some common sense issues regarding the knife i.e. No strikes above the shoulders, and control must be exercised at all times.

Cheers
Joel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:36 am      Reply with quote

Hi there
suggest compulsory fencing masks for knife and then you can strike to the head too. Throat can still be a problem as can the outcome of a grapple and throw. Two refs also helps
Phil
Anna Cruse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:27 am      Reply with quote

Gerard tells me he's nearly got a knife system to teting point...
Gerard Kraay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:46 am      Reply with quote

If I can start this with a small preamble about knife fighting vs dagger fighting. I have done a large amount of knife fighting over the years in and a couple of times out of the training hall, so I like to think I am talking from a place of some experience.
Knife fighting to me is using a small bladed weapon in a fast slashing and stabbing way, this has been called over the years by people a gypsy style, as opposed to some knife training I have done with a ex SAS member which was about killing in the fastest way possible. If you want further clarification of what I mean I will try.
What I have been working through is Dagger fighting from Fiore, Talhoffer, Wallerstien, Silver and other primary sources available.
In this case it’s a long blade, that would reach your elbow when held point downwards in the fist against the forearm.
Have been looking at it from a timing stance (the fundamentals taught to me by Colin) and seeing how it would work with the knife fighting I know.
In short, I’m looking at the medieval and renaissance dagger as opposed to the knife at present.
Happy to test out my ideas on, sorry I mean with you at any time Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:00 am      Reply with quote

Hi there
if you are looking at dagger from a basic level up then you could probably use Jason Vail's book MEDIEVAL AND RENAISSANCE DAGGER COMBAT it can be obtained from Amazon or Paladin Press( who publish one or two other WMA titles)See the book here http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=1418
It isn't hugely expensive and covers the basics really well.more advanced work in the Italian style can be found in Colin Richard's "Fiore Dei Liberi 1409" it can be bought at[url] http://www.artsofmarsbooks.com/shop/catalog/browse?shop_param=[url] and covers plenty of dagger and unarmed work. I believe it can only be obtained from the website, and is expensive. Callum had a brief review in the WMA sub -forum.
Good luck
Phil
huscarl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:04 pm      Reply with quote

[Also who's king of the hill of these at the moment?]

well thats easy as far as knife fighting at Nama goes or was it the elf mow sure ill get back to you on that as we both may have lost ill chech with Dave as he usally refs this one.

as for rulez steve wrote them for us a long time ago and there simple.

a 3 point bout.
no shots above the neck.
hands and feet may be struch but do not count as a point.
no shirts.
and i think it was red lipstick on the blade to judge if it was a hit or not as knife fighting it very fast.

[/quote]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:03 am      Reply with quote

Gerard,
The style that the SAS use is modern CQB based on various martial arts from the past. They are taught by the Todd Group based in Dunedin with chief instructor Geoff "Tank" Todd. This form of fighting is very interesting as it has been developed to be used whilist a soldier is in full fighting kit including pack (we had 30kg packs, let alone what the Group uses). For those that are learning Silver the foot work is much the same.

When it comes to the knife work (all of it in that matter) it is all about disarm, disable and dispose without injury to self (seem familiar?). Looks and feels funny while learning it but is breed for life or death combat in CQB.

My 2 cents less tax, donations to the Communist Party (I mean Government) etc.

I do recommend going to see these guys if you get the chance, you can train with them if you are in Dunedin.

Nathan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:09 pm      Reply with quote

so any takers for a good old knife scrap im keen. Razz
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: