Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Textiles, Garb and Jewelery
Roman Footwear

amuckart

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:09 pm     Roman Footwear Reply with quote

I've moved this discussion into a new topic because it's well off topic for the shoe workshop in Auckland Smile

Victorius wrote:

Caligae are boots, not sandals. Just that they're made of hide, not the normal thinner leather usually used for shoes and boots, so they split them to make the hide fold (or else to drain water if they crossed a stream, that sort of thing).

Can you elaborate on the difference between the leathers in calligae an calceii? In the leather terminology I'm used to a hide just refers to a whole uncut hide off a large animal, it doesn't have any thickness connotations.

I'd certainly be interested in any hard data on the thickness of uppers leather in Roman footwear. The only source I have -- Carol van Driel-Murray's Footwear in the North-Western Provinces of the Roman Empire, published in Stepping Through Time by Olaf Goubitz, Carol van Driel-Murray and Willy Groenman-van Waateringe -- has a few numbers for the thickness of some sole leathers but doesn't really talk about the thickness of uppers leather much. That's tot surprising since it is almost impossible to determine the original thickness of the vast majority of archaeological leather.

If you don't have a copy of Stepping Through Time, I strongly recommend getting it, or seeing if you can find that section of it separately somehow. It's the only thing I've seen with really detailed information on the construction of Roman footwear, including how the various layers and fillers in the soles were put together.

I don't think the slits in calligae are to let them bend. The fact that the upper is cut into straps certainly is -- that or vamp seams are near-universal features of most carbatine-construction footwear of the period as far as I'm aware -- but the slits within those straps are either ventilation (unlikely in the northern provinces Smile ) or decoration. The other option is that that's just how that type of footwear was built since they also had fully closed boots too. Those have a distinct separate upper and aren't carbatine construction like calligae though. I use the term carbatine here in it's more modern sense to refer to footwear where the upper and sole are a contiguous piece of leather. not necessarily the specific style of Roman shoe referred to as a carbatine.

Calceii were lasted and you can get pretty thick veg tan to conform to shape over a last without too much effort, especially with a vamp seam. 4mm wouldn't be impossible, and 3mm is pretty easy, though I doubt they actually used leather that thick for uppers of regular shoes.

Quote:
Romans wore boots called calceii outside (singluar "Calceus"), such as the brown ones I've shown above. Sandals were worn indoors only. All illustrations by Roman, about Romans, show calceii being worn outside. What differ are depictions of Greeks, who DID wear sandals, and Early Church illustrations which show JC and the Apostles in sandals, as people who lived in the Jewish areas (Judea, Idumea etc) wore them.
Slaves often went barefoot.

There are examples in the reference cited above of multi-layered nailed sandal soles, which sound a lot like outdoor wear to me but I don't know much about flooring materials in Roman times to know whether wearing nailed soles indoors would be feasible or not.

I think it's difficult to make general statements about what was and wasn't done over a period as long as the Roman period, especially when it covered such a huge area. There was an awful lot of developmental variation in those centuries, just as there was throughout the medieval period.

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:37 am      Reply with quote

Answers in two parts:
Firstly, re hide/leather. I'm still new to the terminology, only going by what the people at Fern Leather and Grut told me. They called the thinner leather "skins" and the thick stuff such as is used to make belts "hides" so I followed their terms. I'd use thin stuff for uppers, between 1-3mm. The thicker stuff, about 5mm I'd use for soles.
Re historical sources. The difficulty with the Roman Empire is that as it expanded across most of Europe and the Middle East, as well as large chunks of North Africa, it took in the cultural influences of the people it came across. So Roman citizens in Greece, Syria or North Africa might have worn sandals outside. But it wasn't traditional in Rome or Italy to do so. Likewise, Auxiliary units attached to the Roman Army might sometimes use their own equipment, and it would not be above some of them making adaptions such as thick hobnailed soles. While this is conjectural, it is not outside the bounds of historical argument (which differs HIGHLY from Archaeological argument - don't get me started on Living History, I think it should be called Living Archaeology, since it sometimes rejects reasoned historical argument unless it can be found i nthe archaeological record, but I digress). What is not conjectural is that almost without exception, the artistic sources show covered boots worn outside, and sandals within.
Now I do not have the exact thickness for the uppers of Roman Calceii, but from pictures of the extant examples from the archaeological record, they look about the same thickness as those of Viking shoes found in North England, and later Medieval shoes. Additionally, the sculptures often show the fine shape of feet and toes in depictions of Calceii and other boots, suggesting fairly thin leather uppers. Boots on the Ludovisi Sarcophagus have examples of these.

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:45 am      Reply with quote

Caligae uppers were of thicker leather. Wearing hobnails indoors was not practical, although it could be done. Stone, terracotta or marble, even mosaic floors were common. But wearing military hobnails on smooth stone floors could be hazardous: during the attack upon Jerusalem in 70, a legionary went slipping and sliding over the smooth stone floor of the Temple complex due to his hobnails.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:35 am      Reply with quote

Victorius wrote:
Answers in two parts:
it is not outside the bounds of historical argument (which differs HIGHLY from Archaeological argument - don't get me started on Living History, I think it should be called Living Archaeology, since it sometimes rejects reasoned historical argument unless it can be found i nthe archaeological record, but I digress). What is not conjectural is that almost without exception, the artistic sources show covered boots worn outside, and sandals within.

Hi Victorius
Well finally someone who agrees with me Rolling Eyes Mr. Green Rolling Eyes Mr. Green In a previous thread I mentioned the obsession with material remains pertains more to archaeology than history but no one rose to the bait Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Phil Melhop B. A. (Hons.)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: