Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Ecce Omnes.... Pictures for Rob(the Roman)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

pmel018
Principal Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:02 am     Ecce Omnes.... Pictures for Rob(the Roman) Reply with quote

Hi Guys
not sure where this should go, but it surely is about WMA albeit early ones. A quiet trip through the British Museum(everyone else was at the Buried Army Exhibition)led me to the Roman displays and there I rediscovered this amazing helmet

very nice it is too
Regards
Phil
Colin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:49 am      Reply with quote

I personally consider (Roman) gladiatorial combat as part of WMA. It certainly is more on topic than the one on Gurkhas (as interesting as that was).

It all depends on where the conversation leads. If it goes into gladiatorial outfits then probably the forum on armouring. It is goes towards what gladiators did in the arena or speculation on how various bits of equipment were used or even I suppose the various rituals (in preparation) they performed then it belongs here.

But more on topic, it would be interesting to see how such a helmet was like to use, how vision was impaired (or wasn't as the case maybe). I assume they don't let you get close enough to get measurements?

See http://www.swordsmanship.co.nz/
Inigo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:26 pm      Reply with quote

You can purchase similar from here in boxes of six.

If someone wants to order some made from in 2mm steel for the skull, I'll take one.

It could be a lot of fun fighting in these Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:08 pm      Reply with quote

A replica example of this type of Gladiator helmet is already in the club owned commissariat of Legion II Augusta.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:10 pm      Reply with quote

But you need TWO of them to tango...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:15 am      Reply with quote

Yes, you can do that. WE also have a secutors helmet or you can go up against a retiarius or net and trident man.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:14 am      Reply with quote

Colin wrote:
it would be interesting to see how such a helmet was like to use, how vision was impaired (or wasn't as the case maybe). I assume they don't let you get close enough to get measurements?

The helmet was safely behind glass unfortuately so no measurements are possible. As to its utility; well it was a piece of highly stylised sporting equipment for a very dangerous sport so it woul be a fair guess that it didn't disadvantage the wearer more than was intended (or allowed) as for the replicas, they don't come close to the brutal elegance of the actual item(it's bronze for a start.)

As to my Gurkha post... I thought I might be pushing it a bit, the best justification I could summon was that they are part of the British army which is, nominally a Western power. In any case it was too much fun not to share and will lead to the production of a book and DVD set in the near future a real first
In the future I will post other such titbits elsewhere if they are not welcome here.
Phil
Colin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:00 pm      Reply with quote

pmel018 wrote:
As to its utility; well it was a piece of highly stylised sporting equipment for a very dangerous sport so it woul be a fair guess that it didn't disadvantage the wearer more than was intended (or allowed) as for the replicas, they don't come close to the brutal elegance of the actual item(it's bronze for a start.)

That would certainly seem true for the one Derek posted. The occular part of that helmet appears quite restrictive compared to the one you posted.

Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:25 pm      Reply with quote

I liked and enjoyed your Gurka stories, Phil, but I think our murmillo helmet replica in genuine bronze is pretty damned good.
FOR SALE ....... I still have a few left residual copies which were sold through the Gladiator School : 'GLADIATORS AND CAESARS' by Eckart Kohne and Cornelia Ewigleben. It details the thorough and rigorous recreationist research of the famous Roman period reenactment Dr
Marcus Junckelmann. This excellent book is available to GD readers and still sealed in the original Plastic seal at the discounted price of$45. Please forward your orders to me by Email or contact me on 027 627 2128.

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:39 pm      Reply with quote

...It would be interesting to see how such a helmet was like to use, how vision was impaired (or wasn't as the case maybe). I assume they don't let you get close enough to get measurements?[/quote]
The Murmillo helmet owned by LEGIO II AVGVSTA is made from bronze, and is of higher quality that the replica shown. I have worn it, run around in it, been hit in the head a few times while wearing it. But it needs someone with a smaller head than mine to wear it in WMA combat-testing conditions: my head is unfortunately a little too big to wear it with an arming cap, so I have to wear it without this. Hmmm, 8kg of cold hard bronze straight on my noggin. Besides, we don't want to damage it...
However, vision is very good. I have far less vision in a spectacled Norse Gjermendu helmet (sorry about the spelling, that doesn't seem right somehow). Better also than a Norman Great Helm or the Sugarloaf helms for sale at the Mouldyevil Shop. Basically, it's good all round, apart from an overhang by the brim. Put on a broad-rimmed hat and pull the brim's sides down on your head in the same way as this one's brim does, and that is the only visual restriction.
By the way, the only real restricton is heat and breathing, hence they changed to a new helmet shape that we know from sculptures and various extant illustrations. The new shape's face grills have survived however - note the other picture that shows one of these grills. These are about 5mm thick.
It would therefore be possible to make a reconstruction gladiator helm of these types, and fight full contact WMA, and WITHOUT needing to insert modern facemesh...only an issue if you want period armour in WMA I guess.

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:45 pm      Reply with quote

Victorius wrote:
Hmmm, 8kg of cold hard bronze straight on my noggin. Besides, we don't want to damage it...

Ahem, NOT 8kg, 8 lbs...though it FEELS like 8kg without padding.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:51 am      Reply with quote

Victorius wrote:
It would therefore be possible to make a reconstruction gladiator helm of these types, and fight full contact WMA, and WITHOUT needing to insert modern facemesh...only an issue if you want period armour in WMA I guess.

Not usually a problem as far as looks are concerned. What the issue is is getting them knocked out at a fair price and in quantity. I also doubt whether WMA-practitioners care for the bronze or the various bits that hang off it Laughing

I do have a concern with the front latching when it comes to impacts though. What's the one like that you've tested?

Victorius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:10 pm      Reply with quote

[quote="Colin"]
Victorius wrote:

I do have a concern with the front latching when it comes to impacts though. What's the one like that you've tested?

Suprisingly good. Take a close look at the first picture and see what I mean about the following:
The occular is one peice fixed to the bottom of the rim and those little bits near where the cheeks would be on either side where the rim folds over and starts haeding back round the sides of the head. So it's fixed at the top and two sides.
The face visor is in two pieces, each one slots into the cheek piece and is prevented from being forced back by frontal impact. This is on each cheek end, near the sides of the head. The two pieces slot together vertically against one another, and horizontally to the occular. There are little solid rotating slot catches, one at the bottom near the chin where the two pieces meet, and two from each side of the occular. you can see these three slot catches upon further inspection.
Frankly, once fixed in place, it's not going anywhere unless you apply a horizontal swing from a two-handed axe or sledge-hammer. A swing from a two-handed sword won't do it, as the metal rim of the helmet itself will stop it. Not sure about heavy impact from a spear or sword point though. But considering the metal full-face grille on the second picture (in the background, no surviving complete helmet for this type, just this grille and various pictures) superceded this type, and probably only to allow more ease for breathing, it seems pretty safe.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:21 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I had thought about this as some sort of WMAish full contact gear. the original wearer had only to consider a very limited number of weapon combinations. Gladiatorial contests had rules and acceptable combinations of combatants. In any case it is a very striking piece that would benefit from closer study with combat in mind. All museums seem to find it quite difficult to effectively contextualise such items, killing (and protection from killing) makes them very uncomfortable. I'll excuse the Royal Armouries in Leeds from that assesmant but even the Keepr of Armour at the Wallace Colection managed a 1 hour lecture on their collection without once mentioning what it was used for Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes An elderly American and I wandered off and hd our own tour after she repeatedly refuse to answer our questions regarding the combat applications of the pieces Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil it became quite game.

Rob, do you have a picture of your replicas???

Phil
Jonanthebarbarian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:29 pm      Reply with quote

The NZ Gladiator School is engaged in experiential training in Gladiatorial combat and techniques.
As well as helms we are developing the use of the Retiarius net, trident and daggers.
We've modified our locally made Secutor's helm several times and have made our own nets and trident (with help from the Second Legion Augusta) and with input from armourer/reenactor Warren Green.
As know knows for sure how the Roman's performed their combat conjecture and intelligent guess are the current norms. The restricted vision of the helms influence the combat tactics and strategies - especially when you can not actually SEE the weapons you (or your opponents) use for significant moments during combat.
The ancient records state that the Retiarius often spent much of his tome running away from the Secutor during combat. Sounds a liitle bit Monty Pythonesque perhaps? (see Life of Brian DVD) Laughing
But the Secutor had to keep out of range of that net!
And the trident spikes were spaced so any two could poke into the helm occular spaces.
[img][/img]

secutor helm1.jpg
 Description:
secutor helm
 Filesize:  94.73 KB
 Viewed:  23220 Time(s)

secutor helm1.jpg

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: