Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Archery
Missile Combat Rules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:13 pm      Reply with quote

Sorry, to clarify my last comment a bit more - I'm talking about heavy combat archery here. For light combat archery you don't need any special armour or eye protection, although safety glasses would be an excellent idea if you've got them.

The rest of this post relates to heavy combat archery only...

For heavy combat archery we require that you have full face protection, which includes eye protection in the form of 1.6mm perforated steel or mesh with openings no bigger than 5mm diameter. If you intend to wear safety glasses instead of equiping yourself with a mesh visor, you may be putting yourself at considerably greater risk. We will assess this on a case-by-case basis during weapons check. If we let you through you need to keep in mind that the waiver you sign in order to participate says that YOU are accepting responsibility.

If you have an avontail or coiff that covers your face, you may use this provided it is sufficiently padded. Loose chain by itself does almost nothing to slow down an arrow.

You must also have a gorget if your neck is not covered by other armour. No exceptions.

If anyone is unsure about their gear please PM or email me ASAP.

Cheers,
Nigel
Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:19 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Nigel,

I can`t give you numbers at this stage. The interest in combat archery is geting bigger day by day in Auckland, but I have yet to see any one with a fully meshed helm or is keen to do head shots. So expect "light" archers for the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:56 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
I hear what youre saying. Weve been a little undecided on what to do with javelins, hence the last change in the rules. The well padded ones we were using last weekend were fantastic - and unless youre an olympic javelin thrower youre probably not going to be able to do anyone any damage with one. We could see tremendous value in the fort battle with using them in the 2 to 5m zone where you cant use archery and you cant reach with a spear. It would seem silly that the enemy can hang about outside your walls in this space quite safely in full view.

Yup - you sound like you are coming at this from exactly the right direction. I wanted you to be aware of the difficulties that have occurred before so you can factor them into how you are crafting the now. The effort that you guys are putting into this is hugely impressive - great going. Can't wait to see the results on the field.
Cheers,
Patch.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:23 am      Reply with quote

Off-topic musings over warn fudge wrestling at NAAMA have been split off into their own thread, which can be found here:

http://www.gatheringdarkness.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587

Cheers,
Admin
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:29 am      Reply with quote

Patch wrote:
you sound like you are coming at this from exactly the right direction

Cheers Patch. I think the non-reuse of missiles will stop a lot of that back and forth that would have annoyed you last time. Single use javelins and arrows (per battle) will be a bit more realistic and it means that once they're exhausted you'll need new tactics.

I think it'll be worth being there for the fort battles this year for sure.

Nigel
NigelT
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:31 am      Reply with quote

Oh by the way, it sounds like the use of flour bombs for the siege guys has been approved for certain battles, so for those with engines, start figuring out how big you need to make them to make it work and not kill anyone.

Nigel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: