Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
More interesting Headblow?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:16 am      Reply with quote

I disagree with the last comment.
The impetus to remove all forms of weapons from public circulation in the UK is an on-going matter of government policy. It stated with firearms, certain martial arts weapons and now extends to swords and small kubatons. Thre is also a gradual move to criminalise the actual act of self-defence ( armed or otherwise ).
I have been personally involved in law cases where the UK police brought criminal charges so as to obtain a binding prohibition against a weapon type.
You will appreciate this is a huge civil liberties issue and somewhat off-topic for this list.
I am aware that the British Home Office does send inspectors around the annual War & Peace show in Maidstone and they photograph any injuries and report on weapons issues. The UK has an unwelcome snoop culture.
The Home Office does not like "private armies running around with weapons". I suspect that the only reason why re-enactment has survived is that it is part of the heritage industry and makes money from tourism.

To return to New Zealand ( or civilisation ! )..
A spun helm is unlikely to offer effective protection. Only 12mm of padding is far too little. If you can dent the finish helm with a hammer or pommel blow, then it is too thin and extra welded sections are essential.
...After all, it`s your head. In spite of my warnings about headblows I am far from a stranger to the concept. All my old group used to run a "hammer test" on each others helmets before taking the field in a heavy combat armour show.

BTW, has anyone thought about pole-weapons and head-shots ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:02 pm      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
BTW, has anyone thought about pole-weapons and head-shots ?

That's a very good question. I think if you use NAAMA tap rules they're probably OK provided the strike is a vertical blow delivered from a thrust over the opponents head (i.e. I thrust to a point 6-12 inches above your head, then bring the weapon down to tap). With a historically correct technique using a pole-weapon then my gut instinct is that we'd be asking for a cranial/neck/spinal injury. I can run that one past the missus if you want verification from a doctor Smile
Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:50 pm      Reply with quote

Yes Stuart and Scott, I asked that earlier:
Victorius wrote:
Also spear fighting: a few weeks ago I was deploying a spear against several fighters. I must say it felt ridiculous to be jabbing away at their shins, but since they were using shields, it was the only safe way to make a kill. In reality, a spearman would have gone for thruists to the face. Now I doubt we would want that in HB, but what about a safer alternative, such as dropping the edge of the head onto the crown? It wouldn't have enough impact to truly do much damage (one of the reasons why I believe it wasn't allowed by some marshals some time back), but surely it's a safer alternative to a face thrust?
Again, bring in throat and solid face protection for HB, and things will be less risky.

There's also a reply by Nathan on p6...
By dropping, that means a controlled lowering of the spearhead onto the opponent's helmet. I had this conversation with Warren a year or so back and at the time he agreed with me, and he also pointed out it was a contentious issue.
Something to do with taking the spear and raising it past and above the opponent's head: room for accidents there. Personally, as long as is much care is taken as with those over the shield and shoulder strikes to the opponent's backs that are often used in non-headblow I don't see it as a problem - particularly if we use high-grade mesh or plate face protection (with adequate eye cover etc).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:16 pm      Reply with quote

I do have issues with the expecation that we should be forced to wear helmets with mesh, bars etc. I for one don`t like the idea of having to look like Darth Vader on the field. This is supposed to be battle re-enactment, not WMA.. Whatever next - fencing masks ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:47 pm      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
I do have issues with the expecation that we should be forced to wear helmets with mesh, bars etc. I for one don`t like the idea of having to look like Darth Vader on the field. This is supposed to be battle re-enactment, not WMA.. Whatever next - fencing masks ?

Well you're in pretty solid company there Stuart. There's not many who do want mesh in their helmets, which means this is a purely hypothetical discussion. I think it's safe to say that attacks to the face will never be permitted under NAAMA rules.

As you said - there's always WMA for people who care about the authenticity of their weapons and fighting style. I see NAAMA as being more for people who care about the authenticity of their equipment and garb (except for some of the weapons).

None of which means the two have to be considered mutually exclusive. Smile
Inigo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:52 pm      Reply with quote

I'll take it. Especially if the alternative is non-head blow where people crab around, with their head and neck sticking above their tower shields, while they all try to scythe each others feet off like some kind of medieval lawn mower.

Besides, you can make medieval helmets where the mesh is practically invisible. Paint it black and put it behind whatever face protection the helm for that period had.

It helps of course if you do a period that had face protection.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:47 pm      Reply with quote

Victorius wrote:
...taking the spear and raising it past and above the opponent's head

IMO moving a spear tip past the level of your opponent's face to make a crown strike for head blow combat is no more dangerous than doing the same thing with the point of a longsword.

V.
Nathan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:11 pm      Reply with quote

The difference between raising a spear and that of a longsword mainly in the lenghs. It takes more time to move a spear tip than a swords (even if only a fraction of a second) and this delay could be the difference between a bruise and a serious injury.

That being said, I still think that it is possible for headblows with poll weapons in single combat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:22 pm      Reply with quote

It`s not practical to expect someone to place a spear ( or halbard ) over the opponent`s head and then withdraw it, making a strike on the way back. What will happen in the heat of battle is that some half-trained twit will go direct to the head with a spear/pole point. Do we really want that ?

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:26 pm      Reply with quote

Probably not. But then, it brings us back to full-face helmets. Eenough of us do periods where it is possible without mesh being too obtrusive: Gjermendu helmets for the Norse (sorry 'bout the spelling) with aventails won't show mesh, Gladiator faceplates with 9mm eyeholes for the Romans, Greathelms, Sallets with Bevors, Dog-faced Bascinets, Armets for anyone who goes that late etc...possibly Norman Conquest era people will feel left out, but then again, most periods our groups do will be catered for without compromising appearance too much.
I know you don't like the idea of full-face stuff Stuart, but I think the legislators, ACC and OSH Government types would be a lot happier with us if we showed we took extra precautions in this area. They tend not to over-regulate if the groups they have their eye on can show they are willing to self-regulate with as much possible care. Better do to it that way, and allow someone with the occasional Norman nasal with no other protection onto the field of combat from time to time at their own risk, than have them force it upon us.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:56 pm      Reply with quote

Victorius,

-There is another logical solution that does not require anyone to re-train or re-armour. That solution is not to allow head-shots with anything bigger than a sax.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:36 pm      Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
I do have issues with the expecation that we should be forced to wear helmets with mesh, bars etc...

I'm not wanting to be a dick Stuart, but at all the events I've seen you at you haven't fought, even when it's non-head blow. So the fact that you wouldn't want to take the field when people start doing head blow combat doesn't seem like it'd make any difference. I know you're putting a new harness together, and we'll hopefully see you out on the field soon, but I've never even seen you train when there is good kit available to borrow.

I thought this conversation started because some people are thinking "hey, maybe we could look at opening up a few more shots that have previously been banned. Some people agreed that maybe this would be possible, if we added a bit more armour.

Now, it's as if we're trying to make it compulsory.

Lets all assume that the NAAMA rules aren't going to change to allow spear thrusts to the face any time soon and get back to talking about how those of us who actually wear armour when we fight can go about doing this with as little chance of injury as possible.

I'm up for it. I have armour that I can put on tomorrow that will quite happily deal with horizontal head shots and face thrusts of the same power people are already using against light armour. I can probably get a couple of other helmets up to scratch as well reasonably easily.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:11 am      Reply with quote

I think you have misunderstood the last thread. We were talking about pole weapons and specifically the difficulties they cause for head-row.
As for my fighting, I will take the field when my new gear is finished and I have proper helm, armour & gloves.
At the present time I am fully comitted to training several individuals in combat archery.
My interest is re-enactment. I would not like to see re-enactment turn itself into a WMA contest. Hence my comments about fencing masks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:21 am      Reply with quote

I do wonder why people care about having hand crafted shoe laces and bodkin warmers (or whatever) and then have a go at people about the fighting techniques they use.

It seems hypocritical to me to be hung up on equipment but not care about technique. Although having said that, I understand that we all get different things out of the hobby: some people like the technique, some people like the equipment, some even like both (sounds like hard work to me).

That's fine, the issue is when person A cherry picks what they want from the hobby and then has a go at person B, who is cherry picking different things.

But that's a whole new topic...
Inigo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:48 am      Reply with quote

The very first time I tried combat archery was about 10 years ago in Christchurch. My wife and I took the field with meshed up helmets and at the end of the day when I looked at her helmet there were two dents in the mesh on her helm, one over each eye. If my wife had not had mesh, one of those arrows would have blinded her or possibly killed her.

Since then, I've lost count of how many battles I've been in with combat archery. 20? 30? 50? Enough to know that you will get arrows hitting you everywhere.

It surprises me that people somehow think doing combat archery without mesh is safe. Arrows are freaking dangerous. Once you shoot one, you can't pull it back.

Page 8 of 14

Jump to: