Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Historical Combat
Philosophical: mood change in NZ reenactment
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Angel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:27 am      Reply with quote

Quote:

I was meaning in a "display" form. I realise that they cannot offically do combat with steel around (is that right) but a demostration would be cool.

I know there are various SCA folks coming, who aren't involved in NAAMA normally.

They can do SCA combat whenever they like (if the event organisers allow it). Steel combat has been forbidden at SCA events, but we've been able to put on displays of steel fighting, and we are working on having a "steel embassy", so we don't have to hop over the fence to fight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:50 am      Reply with quote

cool
cheers for the clear up

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:15 am      Reply with quote

Angel wrote:
I think the number of people interested in more authentic forms of reenactment stems from the amount of time people have been involved.

When you first start doing medieval stuff, the Hollywood version of medieval tends to be good enough for you - you're just happy to be there.

Often, through pure immersion, you actually start to learn about real medieval stuff, and you begin to realise that the Hollywood version is often wrong. Which bits you think of as wrong depend on where your interests lie. Some people might start picking on costume, others might pick on armour, others might pick on combat style.

This process accelerates as people actively begin researching, and finding out what other bits were wrong. The internet is a wonderful resource, as we've been able to make use of the research that others ahead of us on the authenticty journey have done. The internet is far more useful today than it was 10 years ago.

Once you get a big enough group of people who have made the journey, they begin to drag others with them. People at the start of the road have less steps to take to get to where we are now, because we've installed a travellator.

If you started the journey long before everyone else, then you get to sit at the end whinging that there's no one to talk to, and no one understands. And everyone still on the road thinks you're being an asshat for saying "neener neener, I won the race, I'm better than you" - even if you're not saying that at all.

Once more people get further along the road, being at the end becomes a more acceptable place to be - because that's where all the cool kids are, and the trip there is now so much shorter.

It's a critical mass thing.

i agree its hard not to be a dick when you know the road and all you wanna do is help people along

yes i know even saying this makes me look dumb but i feel i have to say it
Chevalier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:52 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
a "display" form

Keen on a display fight, Angel? Also, I reckon we might find more to join us?
Angel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:56 pm      Reply with quote

I'm not authorised to fight SCA heavy.
I know Matt will be available for a rapier demo though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:10 pm      Reply with quote

A couple of the auckland guys after taking rapier lessons with the auckland S.E.M.A have now pushed for sidesword and it's got the go ahead, so S.C.A may well have some good developments underway.
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: