Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Shields.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Gaius Drustanus
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:57 pm      Reply with quote

I always thought a shield barge or a boss strike was an acceptable hit. Late Roman, Saxon and Germanic shield bosses were often spiked exactly for this use.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:55 pm      Reply with quote

Yep Shield strikes are legal in NAAMA as are unarmed strikes, or creative strikes with your armor. They all have to be controlled to the level of the game, NAAMA rules = to the touch. Your opponent has to see that it was a deliberate and dedicated strike though and not an accidental buffet.
Patch.
Patch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:59 pm      Reply with quote

Spiked bosses are a nono with the NAAMA combat rules but boss strikes are just fine.
Joel of Old

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:58 am     Shield Strikes Reply with quote

Anyone have any good techniques/experience with these types of strikes?

Joel of Old

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:00 am      Reply with quote

One of my favorite shield strikes has always been to come in low with a rising strike with the face of the shield, more of a hard quick push then a strike (roll your shoulder into it). This lifts your opponents balance up and backwards destroying their balance for a few moments as they recover or sending them to the ground.
This is easy, does not hurt your opponent, and gives you plenty of time to dispatch them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:48 pm      Reply with quote

Remember, by NAAMA rules, if you control your opponents' fall to the ground (i.e if you are responsible for it, AND make sure they don't go flying off a cliff) they are dead without having to be dispatched on the ground.

Shield shoves are vast fun, as long as the shover has enough control not to let the top of their shield slide up into the face of the shovee, even if the latter tips their own shield towards their nose (newbies have this thing about watching like Kilroy over their shields...)

I have no problems with a controlled shield edge strike - if they can hit you with the edge, they can hit you with the corner, and that's not so much fun, so accept it as a courtesy.

AC
stephan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:53 pm      Reply with quote

Njal wrote:
I must admit that we do use MORE force when obviously striking a skjold than when striking an arm or any other target but not FULL force. Usually this is used as a decoy or feint to be followed by a controlled strike.

I should think that FULL force would never be used in steel combat?

look on you tube and check out some of the russian and eastern europe stuff its preety full force
stephan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:02 pm      Reply with quote

Patch wrote:
Quote:
One of my great musings on shields is the grand belief that receiving any strike on a lump of wood (a shield) will negate it, whereas wearing (steel) armour does not.

Plenty of steel weapon forms and games account for the value of armour. Ref: the 3 oaks tourney as just one example.

if you are refering to the five oaks tourney then it is named the FIVE oaks tourney refering to the five oaks that form a circle in witch we fight also has mystical assosiation with the five prome virtues of chiviarly
Anna Cruse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:14 pm      Reply with quote

Eamon has a problem counting, and you have a problem reading - check the message from Patch below the one you made a deal about.
There is a delete function available for the authors of notes, when they discover they've shot their mouths off...
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: