Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Armouring & Weapon Smithing
General query about a Visor for a Barbute

Victorius

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:58 pm     General query about a Visor for a Barbute Reply with quote

I have a T-shape Barbute which I need to turn into something useful for WMA. Should I rivet a metal plate with 5mm holes onto the helmet (thereby making it historically inaccurate), or should I make a period-style visor such as might go on a bascinet, and attach that instead?

The period visor isn't something I've ever seen or heard of on an historical barbute (although some have re-made them in modern times - there's a pic in Google images) and I don't want something historically inaccurate if the Battle of the Nations people come to town.

Trouble is, visor on barbute, or perforated metal plate riveted on are both likely to be inaccurate. Which one is likely to cause least offense?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:33 am      Reply with quote

ask yourself this, Do I want to be Historically Accurate or do I want to be able to see, smell, taste food, chew food, be accractive to the opposite sex, continue the act of respiration, not decompose, you get the idea.

My opinion is, stuff the history I dont wanna bleed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:56 am      Reply with quote

i know of one Barbute wif a historical fast plat wil find the pix yor you there not hard to make

Location: IMPERIVM ROMANA: The Roman club with a Living History focus.New Roman Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:18 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Allfiredup...yes please.

Yes Carl, but it should be possible to do both, to be historically accurate AND safe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:09 pm      Reply with quote

Alright...so I'm making a visor that looks kind of like something that would go on a sallet. When it's down and in place, the whole helmet and visor will look more like a sallet than a barbute. Will post a pic up when it's done.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: