Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Armouring & Weapon Smithing
Keeping rust off Armour using Lanolin oil

Terme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:29 pm     Keeping rust off Armour using Lanolin oil Reply with quote

My Chain is going a little rusty / I just wish to protect it a bit better I was wondering if Lanolin would be a good natural lube/greese to use as I will also be wearing it?
Bogue
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:53 pm      Reply with quote

If I remember correctly lanolin is actually a wax so it should be ok.
But I have also seen it used in hand creams where it is mixed with water so maybe not.

Google is your friend

cheers
Bogue
Terme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:24 pm      Reply with quote

Google says

Lanolin is what keeps the sheep’s own wool dry and helps to neutralize urine.

&

Lanolin is a greasy, yellow substance that is produced by sheep to keep their wool dry and soft. Lanolin is soothing to the skin and naturally helps prevent bacteria from growing. It acts as a moisture barrier on skin and keeps wool in good condtion.

I think it would work I just wanted to ask others if they had used it.
Leuscreuntos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:07 pm      Reply with quote

i actually had an amusing conversation with one of my chemistry lectureres, as he discussed corrosion with iron being the main theme.... iron is fun like that..... in the end he suggested a 1:10 ratio of oil and kerosene to cover it, not to mention the usual things like keeping it in a dry place and whatnot.... not to mention attempting to store it on a large piece of zinc =D
Terme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:54 pm      Reply with quote

The only thing is this is for when im wearing it as well, somehow im sure I would catch on fire if I used kero Razz though that would be funny to watch.

edit: Im getting my hands on some Lanacote pretty similar stuff hope it works well.
mikronn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:46 pm     Lanolin mix Reply with quote

Hi all

I've made a mix from lanolin (easy to buy in NZ!) and baby oil that forms a soft paste that goes on well, remove some tarnish as you rub it on and lasts well. Its also fairly pH neutral

If anyone is interested I'll dig out the mix

cheers

mike
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: