Search

Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
An National Open Tournament. Who'd be interested?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

allfiredup

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:44 pm      Reply with quote

first thing - what has this tournament got do with NAAMA or Taupo or any other event?

Can we keep this thread true to this event or tournament? If not the waters are too muddy.

As to costs of historical armour - you can make a full suit of armour minus the helm and weapons for around $100.

To make said armour - get heavy canvas, as much as you can buy for $100 go to your wood shop and get the steel banding from around the pallets = comes in 2 widths, thick and thin and is always free.

There is lots of diff things you can do with this from scale maile to strips to making rigid plates. I can find period refrence for most of this.

Before the rules are discussed - you need to decide what an open tournament is. I dont think darkages vs plate monster should happpen ever. but basically a quick rundown off the top of my head.

A fighting sequence should go down like this - using a rule set that is generally argreed by most combatants.

Sword and sheild will win against single sword, dagger, most pole weapons, axe, mace, even though in reality the sheild would never have lasted through the fight.

So the question that I put to everyon e- whats the point of the tournament, ad what is the overall goal for re-enacment/tournaments?

I stringly reccomend we all have period correct armour with eceptions of say fencing masks so more people can fight. but eventually I would like to see even those phased out as the country gets better and better equiptment.

And if you rellly cant afford armour - come up and buy me a bottle of whisky and we will see what we can make for you.

But Callum had some really good suggestions for a tournament when I was talking to him last. Any chance you can post some ideas if you are reading Callum? Smile

One last thing - if anyone wants to fo offline and talk about tournaments in general - email me and I will give you a ring. Reason being - I want to see tournaments becomming a main stay and more mainstream with a bigger pool of fighters.
thanks

Justin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:55 pm      Reply with quote

I believe the point is to have a tourney that is outside of the NAAMA framework. Not necessarily to rival the Taupo tourney. But allows many clubs to come together and test themselves against each other. This is about skills, not looks.

Just with less emphasis on period and to avoid some of the politics surrounding non-NAAMA clubs fighting NAAMA ones. Having to have one club vouch for another or you must be known to other people outside your club to be let into the tourney smacks of cliques and favoritism.

We're trying to avoid such things.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:58 pm      Reply with quote

Duxfield wrote:
I think pracicality would rule out over historical authenticity. Perhaps save the authenticity for the Taupo event and go more practical for the tournament?
What do you guys reckon about that?

Might as well fight in a shirt or bare chested
aslong as you dont get hit you should be allright and yes it can be done, just on newbies Rolling Eyes

Allfiredup wrote:
Sword and sheild will win against single sword, dagger, most pole weapons, axe, mace, even though in reality the sheild would never have lasted through the fight.

I think you put the sword and shield to high on the list, even the humble spoon can beat the shield if used correctly.
But you are quite right about the armour it can be very cheap and effective.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:22 pm      Reply with quote

There is no offence meant by this but after having done this for twelve years, most people i know call themselves re eactors for the reason that they are re enacting....as close to as possible for all the reasons the way people lived, fought, ate etc pre 1600's
This means the clothes, the armour the camping. Most people i know take pride in the way they re create things....seems a shame to say some police arour is cheap so it will do...especially after reading justins comment

the idea of a tournament is good. The idea of anyone just rocking up and saying they can fight is not. You might get this if people aren't vouched for in some way....we have seen it happen before...and injuries have happened at a few major events non naama related because of this.

If this is are enactors tournament you might want to look at these things...if its just a bunch of people getting together totest skill or to wack each other great. Just define it and make sure all thecritical parts are covered so no more imajor injuries happen that could be avoided.

Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/chantellegerrardcostumes?bookmark_t=page
Leah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:27 pm      Reply with quote

Couple of thoughts...

Firstly, there shouldn't be issues between tournaments, as long as there isn't a conflict in time. Most people will love the opportunity to meet up and have fun at another event, and those that get all bent out of shape - well I personally wouldn't waste time on them. They'll complain whatever you do.

Secondly, I think there is a place for an event that is primarily about martial skill in a medieval context, and not re-enactment. That's not to say that there won't be non-com medieval elements - I don't know many combatants who don't want to also feast after a day's battle. But I would be keen to see an event that doesn't focus so much on reenacting a time-period, but focuses more on the technical aspects of medieval combat. It would open up an opportunity to actually stand up against others, without having to first gather authentic kit... something that I know is limiting some people (such as myself) from being involved in combat.
allfiredup

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:31 pm      Reply with quote

[Might as well fight in a shirt or bare chested
aslong as you dont get hit you should be allright and yes it can be done, just on newbies Rolling Eyes .[/quote]

but is this tournament for newbies?
if you dont have the gear dont fight, and how hard is to hard ??

Allfiredup wrote:

I think you put the sword and shield to high on the list, even the humble spoon can beat the shield if used correctly.

you missed the pont i was making, we cant use all weapons periodly - at the end of the day im not trying to kill people, so having a sheild is too much of an advantage because we cant use force to destroy it in fights,

Not saying that sheilds shouldnt have their own tourney - so here is a list of Q's that we can think on:

1 - SAme weapon vs same weapons (types)?
2 - time period vs time period?
3- thrusts to the face?
4 - thrusts to the body?
5- weapon specs
6 - armour vs non armour?
7 - or an Armour grading/ranking?
8- grapples?
9 - point scoring vs one hit vs 1 minute winner/ I quit matches
10 - ring size

does anyone out there have period refrences to tournament fighting? as apposed to dueling. Escepcially the period rule set.

Im really keen on this,and other events like this. but at the end of the day it comes down to the organiser makes the rules - its thier head on the chopping block

thanks

Justin
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:09 pm      Reply with quote

There are period references to tournaments held in certain towns in Germany around the 15th/16th centuries and some of the European Historical Arts fencers use a very simular rule set to them, I'd have to find the links on this though.
A tournament like this I feel is more about your skill [with weapons] than with what you wear, like its supposed to bring fencers, re-enactors, living history etc together [I think is Daniels overall Idea on it] so I don't feel its set period or set armours...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:13 pm      Reply with quote

- if you dont have the gear dont fight, and how hard is to hard ?? -

Actually, it's a lot harder than it used to be, especially if you have no knowledge to make it yourself and very little spare cash. It would be easier for me to get non-medi equipment to train and fight with, and then I'd have a better chance of actually being able to get back into it!
Chantelle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:32 pm      Reply with quote

Hey you xx is there any one in your area that will let you borrow some? The people you would be training with might have stuff? We used to borrow things within the clubs and i used to nick off with rob the romans helmits etc at easter and naama?... Also unless you plan to go full head blow in the first session you wont need much for a while?....hope those suggestions help x plus trying to find the references for you jim x

Chantelle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:44 pm      Reply with quote

If its a case of bringing everyone together from all walks of life and people can see and have voiced their issues with a dark ages style vs transitional longsword vs the many differing rapier styles like capo ferro, maya, silver etc..please excuse my spelling...vs naama vs head blow etc.....maybe have the individual tournaments etc but also run workshops on the styles so everyone can see each others stuff, try it, talk, have fun and maybe share the love of fighting and knowledge around till they meet next time and get to play again.

That way fighting is the winner on the day xxx without having to go through a lot of the other issues?

Robbo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:05 pm      Reply with quote

I think Justin was referring to how hard is to hard to hit Leah Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:16 pm      Reply with quote

o.0 Robbo, I'm so glad I didn't take that the way it was written.... Very Happy LOL
Robbo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:20 pm      Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Razz Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:21 pm      Reply with quote

Robbo wrote:
I think Justin was referring to how hard is to hard to hit Leah Very Happy

no!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:23 pm      Reply with quote

No you can't hit Leah hard or no you weren't talking about how hard is to hard to hit in general?
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: