Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Lauren Tournament

Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:47 am     Lauren Tournament Reply with quote

Notwithstanding the problems we had at Harcourt Park this year, the link below shows you where I want to go with future foot combat tournaments (and jousts) that I want to run both at Harcourt Park and other events that I organise:

http://laurin-tournament.com/index.php?lang=english

I am currently in the early stages of planning a wider multi-period event in Upper Hutt next Summer that will focus on the horse's role in history. If this event goes ahead, I will be looking at presenting a 14th century joust based on the St. Inglevert Tournament of 1397.

I would also be looking at running a foot tourney display (as opposed to a full blown competitive tourney) as part of this if I have the support and interest of enough people in the foot combat community and whose kit is starting to approach the level of presentation in the above link.

At this stage I am looking at gauging the level of support for this.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
Robbo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:37 pm      Reply with quote

I like those rules Callum. Simple, easy to follow, incontestable. Although I do prefer to rely on point scorers, thus removing any possibility of bias on a marshal. I also think the time limit is a brilliant idea. 8 minutes provides enough time for a great fight, without letting fighters reach exhaustion. Nice.

I'd fight under those rules.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:21 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Robbo,

I too liked the time limit and was looking at 5 minutes. I did think about this prior to Harcourt Park but didn't think that it would be an issue. But I wasn't looking at changing to their rules wholesale and I still think you need a couple of marshals.

I still think marshals can be competitors like we do in the jousting but only if you run more than one pool of combat a day where in any pool a person is either a competitor or a marshal -but not both at the same time. In the jousts for example each jouster takes part in one joust round a day. This leaves them free to help out in other rounds without the pressure of having switch mind sets within a single round.

I like the Lauren Tournament for the presentation and standard of kit of the participants and wonder if anybody else in NZ would want to aspire to the same standards?

Chevalier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:42 pm      Reply with quote

Looks like we might be able to attend the Laurinturnier/Laurin Tournament in person this year so we'll bring back plenty of pictures and videos for those interested!
Grayson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:42 am      Reply with quote

Will you be sticking to the time frame they have ie 1370-1400?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:37 am      Reply with quote

Hi Grayson,

Not sure. But if I were to do something similar I would look at a narrow time period. I am thinking 1375 to 1425 because this would allow a more complete covering of plate armour for those who want to use poll axes.

Also, it is not too narrow a time frame to allow a range of different armours to be used as this period has a great range of diversity in armour types and styles. The problem we have in NZ is not having enough people in quality kit from a specific period in time to give enough numbers to run a period specific event and this 50 year time frame does help to address that.

Having recently had a play using poll axe material from Fiore under controlled conditions, you also really do need the full plate to do this safely Very Happy

Looking for an event to organise for next Summer and a full 14th century event based on an actual historical event (e.g. the St. Ingelvert jousts of 1397) has always been something that I've wanted to do.

Having a meeting early next week to look at the possibility of running a horse specific multi period event here in Upper Hutt next Summer that will feature a 14th century historical joust and I could fit a historical foot combat tourney in beside that if there is enough interest and enough people with good kit.

conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:46 pm     Now here's an idea! Reply with quote

We could do "underwater dueling" like in Talhoffer.

With the wetsuit and the bellows!

Interpretation of course but that's what it all about...

Still it'd be historically accurate to a degree.

Or... one of those judicial tourneys where husband goes in the hole and the wife gets to bash his brains out... with a rock in a pillow case.

Nice.
allfiredup

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:19 pm      Reply with quote

[quote]"underwater dueling" like in Talhoffer]
Quote:

im so in to that. it not fune lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:26 pm      Reply with quote

Hi Callum, can you re-post the link to the rule set please, I think the link is broken.

Am very keen to see them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:49 am      Reply with quote

Agreed the link will not work for me either.
Hawkwind™

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:56 am      Reply with quote

It is not the link that has broken per se, the code is broken on thier site, I suspect that there wll be no fix for this until they rectify their site.
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:22 pm      Reply with quote

Yes, looks like their site is down.

Hawkwind™

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:21 pm      Reply with quote

Hmm guess they are updating a bit, is this what you had originally posted to callum?

http://laurin-tournament.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1&lang=en
Mad Jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:33 pm      Reply with quote

Sounds cool the way its set out, pity I'm Hundreds of dollars off being allowed to partake in such an event, even the period of history is either side of me! mid 13th century and early to mid 15th century..and still need the coins to fund those aswell!!!....pilage a village anyone?
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: