Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
Protective equipment, protocols and rulesets
Goto page Previous  1, 2

ChronicD
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:23 am      Reply with quote

sorry i am actually going to quote myself from the other topic as it is relevant here - and i edited the post Embarassed

Quote:
ChronicD wrote:
Based upon Harcourt as it is freshest in my memory, i would put forward Harcourt required two categories.

1. Display fighting
2. Tournament fighting

To participate in these events there should be a qualifying criteria, ideally a national agreed upon display fighting grade/certificate and for the tournament proof of familiarization and competence with a focus on safety for the "style/period" the tournament is. in this case later period long sword and sword and buckler.

You can say that this will stop people that would otherwise participate in the these categories - these would either be new members of a club or old members who feel they are already proficient and need not go through a proper grading or training for it.

For new participants they would have to just be understanding that this is the way events are run and that they should participate in a grading to be a part of the fighting at the event. For the oldies like myself, it would be incredibly arrogant to not also do a grading in display fighting as it would not only be about how to fight safely but also about communication between us all. It is an opportunity to learn how to make things look cooler and be safer.

If you were at Harcourt think back to the rough riders - they were doing some thrilling stuff that was obviously dangerous but they did so safely as that is what they train to do.

We could easily standardize display fighting - i mean if a participant receives money from an event organizer to do the simple job of entertaining the crowd means that that is solely what it is about.

It can be fun in its own way, i remember clearly fighting you Robbo at Harcourt and seeing you twitch you two blades in as if to block a head strike. Noting this i made a big show of coming in to get you which you obviously blocked and then gutted me like a fish - it looked great! It was fun and really Cool and anyone that end of the field would look on and think aweome! I had similar experiences with Conal and Jeremy at Manukau Market (dont know how to spell it) using a spear and doing the classic under the arm push it through there body and to the ground - best of all we would hit the ground and feel good because we had entertained the crowd and done so safely.

Sorry i dont like talking about myself like that, but the account of these events clearly shows what i am talking about.

Simple idea - display fighting is something you have to be qualified in. Chantelle has now offered her expertise in this capacity and i am sure others could be found who would help train the us and create a standard we all need attain.

Progress my friends, albeit small it is progress never the less... Its happening - change is smelt on the first breeze of the morn Razz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:13 pm      Reply with quote

There's a guy in Wellington who does stage fighting courses.

Basic stuff, but good.

Don't know the chaps name but I'll look into getting him to Easter for a night.

He does a course called "Knives and Guns" I think.

Useful for the "Pirate" genre.
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:05 pm      Reply with quote

His name is Peter Hassell and he runs some of his workshops out of my studio in Upper Hutt including his recent 'gun and knife' workshop. I have also been talking to him prior to Harcourt about running a workshop on historical sword techniques for stage combat.

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:05 pm      Reply with quote

Yep that's the guy.

Stage fighting with common sense I hear.

Be good to have a look at what he's upto.

Ta.
Callum
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:32 am      Reply with quote

He's given me some good tips.

Do you want me to PM you his contact details?

Order of the Boar Historical Foot Combat -
www.hapkido.org.nz/upperhutt.html
conal
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:19 pm      Reply with quote

Yes please, ta.
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: