Help

Forum

Events

Gallery

Clubs

You are here: Forum Index -> Reenactment Combat
a discussion about all tournament injuries - please read
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     View previous topic :: View next topic  

ChronicD
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:59 pm     Late night thoughts Reply with quote

Friends,

I have spent the last week post Harcourt driving around the north island playing tour guide and so every now and then had some free time to contemplate what had happened to Seamus and Jeremy. (Who both have my best wishes to a speedy recovery)

Late in the evening a couple of days ago i was mulling things over while bathing at pacific spa - a hell of place to contemplate i must add!

I wandered at what all my friends however they be affiliated would be writing on the internet or saying to one another at there next training. What sprung to mind was quickly shouting what they advocate and how they do things and what they think things should be in the future. As Robbo put it in one post; reality (what they do) vs dreaming (what they think everyone should do).

There is much to be admired in the dream of a unified group we can all be a part of and i would say that it has been a long time coming. Anyone whoever they be who is skeptical about this or a nay sayer or as some people say has an "ego" that blinds them has no business in this discussion and should move aside and let productive steps be made.

The idea of this thread was easily understood - a place for ideas. There have been many and always come paired with the authors little speech, which i suppose means i am no different.

I concluded similar to others that there has been a communication failure that has come about as the various groups across the country start diverging into there own styles. This has happened rapidly and as we are all doing this as a hobby caught us a bit by surprise. When NAAMA was created it was a standard for anyone to come to and participate in if the they met its criteria. It was a hell of an achievement all things considered and i would say an example of how we can all pull together.

To clarify a lack of communication i mean there has been a communication breakdown from our community as a whole to individuals as to what is expected of them as members of this community and vice versa. (basically if you come to ANY event, are a member of ANY club that participates in events or are even just a regular on GD you are a part of this community whether you like it or not)

Now as people having pointed out the members get confused when there are not standards they can expect from events to event - this is particularly true for safety and marshaling safety.

I will take myself as an example - I have marshaled before at several events. but can i prove it? i would hesitate to say yes. If i asked myself to write down what i think constitutes rules of safe conduct for fighting in a medieval period style i would write a list and then if asked basically say its common sense - a word that should not ever be used, common is to loose a term.

As pointed out earlier (Chantelle?) the SCA have been doing this a lot longer then us plus other sources must be available, it would take an immense amount of work to produce a set of regulations that would encompass all groups and would have to have different divisions and also perhaps different periods, including display fighting and public safety at events.

This is not about making everyone where heavy plate but setting minimum requirements for various styles of fighting. I would agree with another post (cant remember who sorry) that bringing every clubs grading requirements together would be a step in the right direction. These grading requirements in a way form the back bone for how each respective club fights and could be a first step towards looking at an agreed upon set of safety and marshaling regulations and training requirements.

That is what we need people, more communication and GD is a great starting point but this time it must go a lot further.... our health depends on it.

To all my friends good night,
Thinking of you Jeremy and Seamus

Daniel

PS i almost forgot - I believe marshals should also be waring at least face protection so they can intercede in Tournaments. I had a couple of bloody close calls at Harcourt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:42 am      Reply with quote

can i just say at this stage how bloody proud i am of everyone for posting helpful and respectful posts - well done, just so cool x

not meant to sound patronising....just telling you how i feel..warm squishy delight...or something....

thats all for now - back to on topic stuff ...
Inigo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:27 am      Reply with quote

G'day gentlemen (and ladies),

When I was 10 or so, I started playing with sticks for swords. It was lots of fun.

When i was 12 or so, i discovered rubber swords, so I played with them, It was lots of fun.

Then, when I was about 18, I discovered steel swords. It was lots of fun. But my friends kept going to hospital, for stitches.

Then, when I was about 25, I discovered the SCA, I played with rattan. It was harder to get on the field, but I do not regret the thousands of dollars I have spent on helmets.

Who I am is inside my head. Brain damage is forever.

I don't give a fuck about my knees or elbows. I don't give a fuck about my hands and feet. But I do care about my brain. Because I have a family that I want to support and to do that, I need my brain.

If you can learn ONE THING from the SCA, it is how to protect the head: Minimum 1.6mm steel with a minimum of 13mm of padding + full face and neck coverage. You will never regret enforcing this standard; but you may regret not enforcing it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:48 am     Captains meeting Reply with quote

I was at the first NAAMA captains meeting and it was like going to the dentist
But if there is going to be any change it needs to come from there as most captains are votted in and they speak for their members as elected officals (mostly)and have the mandate for change if its in the best interest of their groups

Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:39 am     Re: Captains meeting Reply with quote

Fungus wrote:
most captains are votted in and they speak for their members as elected officals (mostly)and have the mandate for change if its in the best interest of their groups

I agree with Fungus and think that the Club Captains need to get together and have a chat.

Als *puts on moderators hat* thanks to Inigo for your contribution - but please watch your language. I will not remove your post as it had some good contribution.

As this topic has the potential to get emptionally charged can people please be aware of their language and write in the most neutral form. We don't want people taking stuff personally and getting upset and derailing the thread because its a topic we all want to discuss. So far so good!

This week has been a bit of a mission for most of New Zealand, our thoughts are with our brothers and sisters in arms down in Christchurch. I am sure that over the next coming weeks more people will contribute to this thread.

*takes of moderators hat* Perhaps some discussions about this could be held at Easter, or at the next kind of big camp?

*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*
ChronicD
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:00 am     Morning thoughts Reply with quote

Good Morning all,

In reply to Fungus

Quote:
I was at the first NAAMA captains meeting and it was like going to the dentist
But if there is going to be any change it needs to come from there as most captains are votted in and they speak for their members as elected officals (mostly)and have the mandate for change if its in the best interest of their groups

Exactly what i was thinking! Though i would hasten to add that i believe that this is a good starting point from which we should aim new forum/senate/association separate of NAAMA. Why? because there are clubs, movements and groups who do not feel an association with NAAMA for whatever reason - it doesn't matter. (Geographical would be an obvious non confrontational one - the camps are normally central north island thereby excluding the south and those that need to travel far)

We need a new group represented by all of the community where everyone is represented and clear communication can be achieved between the representatives and passed down to the members.

Perhaps the National Association Ancient and Medieval Arts could do this but i believe there to be to much history and agreements and disagreements within this framework - it has become slow to change and the question is, should we change it or just start afresh and leave it as it is. (Because i personally love NAAMA and don't really feel like dissecting it and re-inventing it)

Clear communication! from the oldest to the newest and back again. From organizer to participant etc... This above all is key as with it we can quickly come to agreements on issues such as safety, marshaling, amenity requirements for events (it was pointed out to me that a tournament for fighters in armour should have a shaded area for them to sit - i am sure Callum would have organized this if he had known)

A new dialog in a new form must come about - while GD is great it does not represent the community at large.

I agree that the elected representative heads of each organization need to be apart of this new dialog. Actually it is essential.

and now i must rush - getting yelled at

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:56 pm      Reply with quote

I've opened a new thread for marshals that will, hopefully, get the ball rolling. Perhaps someone would begin the process for captains/trainers?

Likewise said convo on standardized safety gear would be a great one to see started up solo.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:15 pm      Reply with quote

yip

think it is getting to the stage where we need different threads now so, if you give me till monday i will collate all that has been said about the different threads and do the separate posts so that things can start off sensibly and properly on them

great that you have started the marshalls idea robbo - so so proud of you xx

and - i ask again - a lot of people think that GD is not worth coming onto -or dont have access as has been pointed out, if we can make them aware and get them on here - even just for this it will be better for all of us.....so

tell your clubs, post on facebook and email people if you can - we need EVERYONE on board for this - i don't care in what way, because we are all entitled to our opinions - but we need to be aware at least.

and yes - all our thoughts to our SCA and sword brothers and sisters down south, and our friends and family not associated but also in our hearts ....keep telling them you love them, they are telling me that is keeping them sane x

x
Robbo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:46 pm      Reply with quote

Chantelle wrote:

great that you have started the marshalls idea robbo - so so proud of you xx

Shucks, you'll have me blushing soon Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:21 am      Reply with quote

Stronger equipment will never be sufficient to protect you from full strength blows. Particularly not against weapons designed to destroy the fighter through their armour.

Bureaucracy always needs to be examined with great care and understanding.

Necessary bureaucracy is absolutely vital. For example - The Marshal must be in control. The competitors need to understand the rules to which they are fighting.
Unnecessary bureaucracy is absolutely hindering. It destroys the soul and the very passion and the joy of our vocation that brings us together. It aught to be hunted vigilantly and purged without compassion.

Never rush into the instigation of unnecessary bureaucracy.
Always thoughtfully apply necessary bureaucracy.
New rules of play must be carefully considered and tested in a live environment.
-Patch
Patch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:17 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
Re-enactor. I personally don't like the term and at Auckland Sword and Shield we are moving more towards the Historical Fencing. However, we like dressing up and drinking mead so I suppose that makes us Re-enactors!
-David

Hi David, I always misliked the term myself. I consider myself a re-creator, I do Medieval Recreation. Re-enactment always struck me as a dead activity endlessly marionetteing through motions done before... where is the art?

Quote:
I refer you to the UNREGULATED use of force. and the allowance of the inexperienced to compete ... Training and experience should always be our mainstay ... Protocols and equipment secondary ... they completely screwed up and saw a guy/girl in more armor and went even harder ... I've seen injuries that NO amount of armor could have protected someone from, and others where I'd wished they been wearing just that tiny bit extra.
-Robbo

This is a great argument Robbo. I completely agree with your points.

My points:
My points:
The fighting at Harcourt tournament was often scarily hard the same has happened at Taupo. I am not the only one who thought that, I watched staunch fathers watch a bit of the tournament and then conscientiously guide their little ones away from what they saw - watching through their eyes the balance had shifted from glory and glamour to some quite ugly aggression and brutality.

In an unregulated series of matches the fighting will always devolve to the person with the least control. Especially if they are being rewarded with winning. For the fighters, it is as clear as a command from the marshal. You want to win in this competition then you must fight this hard and you must fight with this much aggro.

Some of the fights at Harcourt were fought with honour and respect and care. Some were not. The difference was very obvious. The only fights that could possibly be respectful were the ones were the fighters formed a rapport. It was not insisted on by the authorities on the field and I think that may have been a mistake that cost the respect of the audience and the fighters.

By far the most terrifying shots of the Harcourt foot tournament from my perspective were the full strength throat thrusts and the two handed face thrust that dented in the visor towards the combatants eye.

The lessons for the future.
1. Marshal the duels for control and respect and care between your competitors. As a marshal they are your responsibility. Deliberately set and conscientiously enforce the strength of the blows and the level of negative aggression.
2. Command them well and clearly, with absolute calm authority, a positive rapport and a respect for their words as well as their deeds.
3. Communicate with the audience – they are very important to the competition and the future. Make them laugh, make them cry, make them cheer in triumph and groan in defeat. Make them care.

If your warriors battle safely, you will have a safe battle.
It will still be just as skilled, swift, elegant, tricky, beautifully savage and glorious.
If your warriors battle dangerously then you will have a dangerous battle.
Following this path we all observed that the battles are less skilled, less glorious, just less...
-Patch
Patch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:55 am      Reply with quote

Hi Nic, Great post. I wholeheartedly agree with your points (P.S. I have a new two handed sword, I can’t wait to try it against your beautiful blade).

Thank all the gods that Seamus was wearing both padding and mail on the back of his head under the fencing mask.

Quote:
“One blow, fairly struck, without being struck in the process of delivery.”
– excellently said.

I think a lesson we can take from our experiences is this. Running a public tournament of skill at arms is hard, very hard.
The combatants are torn between winning and showing off, and learning a new fight environment, and the marshals must judge fairly and communicate with the audience, and exert authority over the warriors and run a tight organization.

I happen to think that the combination that we used at the Taupo tournament I marshalled was excellent, and I can heartily commend it.
A Master of Ceremonies who is a witty charming person to communicate with the crowd, fill in empty moments and stir the blood of everyone.
A tournament Seneschal to organise who battles who, tally the scores and arrange the fighters who will be battling next to ready themselves.
Two extra observer Marshals to correct the Chief Marshal when he has not seen something or is delusional and seeing phantom strikes.
A Chief Marshal who sets the tone and feel and rules and sense of firm authority for the event.
And many happy warriors so that the pace is not gruelling on any single fighter.
-Patch
Patch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:02 am      Reply with quote

Quote:
“having a discussion is a good idea but it will be like hearding cats and will be a lot of work and even then I cant see every club coming to the table”

I will come to the table. And I will listen and I will swallow my pride even though I think I am right. I will listen respectfully and I will believe in my fellow peers of the sword. I know, by and large, we are right; even those of us who have differing opinions. Our similarities engulf our differences.
-Patch.
susan
This account is inactive

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:56 pm      Reply with quote

Being that I'm non-combatant, my contribution to the marshalling regs etc., quite correctly will be non-existant

I have read all posts as requested, and am enjoying the respectful discussion.

The majority of injuries at Harcourt occured on the second afternoon of a very hot weekend. Even as a non-com, I was hot, dehydrated and exausted by the end of the weekend, and consider myself reasonably fit.

I would like to raise the effect of fitness (or lack of it), exaustion and dehydration on muscle control and concentration, and trust the above experts will factor this in to their considerations.

Susan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:52 pm      Reply with quote

Patch wrote:
By far the most terrifying shots of the Harcourt foot tournament from my perspective were the full strength throat thrusts and the two handed face thrust that dented in the visor towards the combatants eye.

I will stand and take blame for that, things were getting silly and a few hits that I recieved were not being called even though I still have a nice graze and bruse in my armpit from one of those hits and all I heard was continue.
thinking the shots were not being seen for some reason I thought some nice clean hits would be good.
Obviously the mesh face guard did not have the same strength as a fencing mask (due to the shape) and caved in.
If you have ever hit somebody in the first fight of a tourny and crushed their helm in on the first good thrust then you would understand the shock and the understanding that a little less controll or a slip of the foot would have put that blade in a bad place.

This dose not absolve me from what happened but serves as a good reminder that I need more training in distances and otherways of delivering good clean hits that can be seen by all.

Oh and not getting frustated on the field. the hard bit.[/quote]

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Back to top Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: